Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2018, 12:54 PM

19,603 posts, read 12,206,783 times

Advertisements

Depending on the stage of liver cancer the problem might solve itself soon enough.

No one should be telling your parents to take responsibility for him. They are sick too.

Does your state not have a state nursing facility he could move to, for instance if he was homeless and sick. Your parents would have to stop taking responsibility and get elder services to declare him incompetent and a danger to himself. Often a doctor will do this if the doctor knows what exactly is going on and the state will abide the doctor's diagnosis.

We have the state nursing home and a psychiatric nursing facility, they are public and the psych one was pretty secure, for more dangerous and mentally ill patients.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2018, 01:49 PM

3,820 posts, read 8,742,550 times
Keep in mind that someone may call Adult Protective Services on your parents if they think he is being neglected. Not right, not fair but a risk to consider.

Personally this unrepentant sex offender made his bed and now he needs to lie in it. Its horrible on your parents that they have to be put thru this. But he did this to himself and to your parents.

Old 11-20-2018, 03:44 PM

3,501 posts, read 6,163,520 times
I cannot imagine any state holding a sibling responsible. So step 1 is to talk to a lawyer and find out about the laws in your state.

Old 11-20-2018, 08:23 PM

6,849 posts, read 4,847,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyPl1 View Post
Keep in mind that someone may call Adult Protective Services on your parents if they think he is being neglected. Not right, not fair but a risk to consider.

Personally this unrepentant sex offender made his bed and now he needs to lie in it. Its horrible on your parents that they have to be put thru this. But he did this to himself and to your parents.
As long as they don't let him stay with them, they have no liability for him.

Old 11-20-2018, 09:09 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,621,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xrystalpond View Post
We have met with an elder care attorney who has said due to my uncle's offender past, our choices are severely limited. Nursing homes and assisted living facilities are reluctant to take in an offender, as it would mean that fewer self paying patients would want to be there and fewer staff would want to work there.

1. We can hire an attorney to petition to get him off the registry. However, he told the social worker at the nursing home where we were trying to place him that he did not think what he did was wrong and would do it again if the opportunity presented itself. He's listed and considered high risk because after years of therapy and counseling, he has shown no remorse and a history of re-offending. Even the best attorneys with this charge $20-30K and have a less than 25% success rate.

2. We can have the trailer declared unsafe and force him to move. However, it took 14 years to find this place him. He burned down his previous home in what he called a suicide attempt. Even homeless shelters won't take him with his status, as the only ones within 100 miles are family shelters.

3. There is a nursing home about 200 miles from where my parents live that does take sex offenders, as well as others on probation, parole, etc. However, there is a long waiting list and application process.

The hospital keeps telling my parents that they need to take him to live with them. In addition to the issues with my uncle's healthcare that they are unable deal with, my parents home is two doors down from a church and a block from a school. He wouldn't be allowed there. So that would mean that my parents would have to buy a new house in the middle of no where for them to live. Given their health, that's a horrible idea. They need to be close to medical facilities and doctors. Plus I think my mother would honestly divorce my father if he wanted to do that.

The deputy showed up yesterday because of reports of my uncle leaving his trailer (he is mobile) without pants and walking around. When the deputy got there, he called my parents to say that he couldn't get my uncle to door. My dad went over and unlocked it for him and they found that my uncle had fallen and said he could not get back up. So he was transported back to the hospital again.
It sounds like he is doing everything in his power to make it impossible to be placed in a nursing home. He simply doesn’t want to leave his trailer. Your family has done everything in its power to help this man. It’s time to let the state take over.

Old 11-20-2018, 09:38 PM

3,972 posts, read 4,252,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Twist View Post
Whatever you do, do not let him stay with your parents. Not even for one day. As for the sheriff or hospital suggesting that, the answer is ..... my parents are dying and cannot cope with more than their own health issues. You can only cope with your parents. I suggest using caller ID and not answering calls regarding him.
^^^This. Do not let him in the door of your parents' home. Ever. You may be able to call Adult Protective Services yourself, depending on the state you live in. Look it up on the internet first. Some states have a requirement that the person is being (or is at risk for) abused, neglected and/or exploited. But some states only require that the person cannot care for themselves any more.

Sadly, this is a case of him making his bed decades ago, and now he is laying in it. Your parents are under no obligation to take him in or even see to it that he is placed somewhere.

If you are going to continue to try to get him in a home, the suggestion to get on the waiting list is a good one. The other alternative would be a psychiatric facility, if one is available in your area.
Good luck to you.

Old 11-20-2018, 10:18 PM

37,590 posts, read 45,950,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Start by getting him on the waiting list for the home that will take him.

I don't understand how a cleaning crew for a travel trailer will cost you $5000? I've never heard of that.

Call Merry Maids or something similar and get uncle out of trailer so they can bring a team in and clean.
It sounds like much more than just cleaning. Sounds like a hoarder, and that can easily cost thousands to clean up.

Old 11-21-2018, 01:56 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,549,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyPl1 View Post

? They have no obligation.

Old 11-21-2018, 07:31 AM

1,397 posts, read 1,144,961 times
Officials will try to get your parents to take him in because if they do that shows a history of family care and then your parents CAN in some states be held liable.

All of you need to stand firm. If you get a phone call just say you are not legally responsible and please do not call again.

In desperate situations they will eventually find your uncle somewhere to stay. And it seems with his cancer the situation will work itself out on its own.

Old 11-21-2018, 07:40 AM

9,446 posts, read 6,572,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradomom22 View Post
Officials will try to get your parents to take him in because if they do that shows a history of family care and then your parents CAN in some states be held liable.

All of you need to stand firm. If you get a phone call just say you are not legally responsible and please do not call again.

In desperate situations they will eventually find your uncle somewhere to stay. And it seems with his cancer the situation will work itself out on its own.
^^^^^
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving