Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2018, 08:05 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,848,066 times

Advertisements

We are looking for a medical alert button system for my father. Looking at various ratings and reviews on the internet Bay Medical alert comes up over and over as the top to in the top three. Does anyone know this system compared to others? maybe they just pay the most to be reviewed as number 1.

I like that their button does not need to be charged. I dislike that their button does not allow him to communicate with them. I guess you cannot have both.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2018, 01:41 PM

1,570 posts, read 1,381,150 times
I use the Great Call alert device. It runs on the verizon network which has the best coverage. I get a real person when I press the button and they are VERY competent. I had a medical emergency one day, pushed my little button and had an ambulance within ten minutes (I live way out in the country). The Great Call person stayed with me throughout the ambulance ride and didn't sign off until the hospital released them. I went into surgery within a half hour for a perforated intestine. Great Call saved my life. I can't say enough good about them. Cost is $18.99/month.
GreatCall® Official Site – Easier Is Better w/ Jitterbug | greatcall.com

Old 12-19-2018, 06:55 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,848,066 times
Thank you. the link does not work, but my dad has a jitterbug and loves it. I will look into this one.

We want to find one that works on a regular phone line either along with cell or in lieu of cell. when my dad fell, his cell phone said "No serivce" each time he tried to call 911 and he ended up crawling around in the snow for 6 hours before he was able to get in the house and call 911.

Old 12-19-2018, 07:57 AM

10,101 posts, read 6,444,912 times
I am going to go with GreatCall as well. Their "button" alert needs to be charged at night, but I keep my cell phone by the bed then (I used my cell phone when I had my heart attack at 0200 hours). I like that their website lists the different levels of coverage and the prices right up front. Also, you can buy the GreatCall system directly online or at retail outlets like CVS, WalMart, etc. I contacted Life Alert for a brochure, but even the brochure doesn't have the prices in it - you have to talk to a sales person to find out what it costs. I found the same deal with Medic Alert, plus once you contact them, they call and email you endlessly afterward, even when you tell them you don't want the system.

Old 12-20-2018, 07:35 AM

696 posts, read 704,424 times
I researched online and chose Bay for my father. There was no contract, and it was easy to cancel when he moved into an assisted living facility. The couple of times he used it, the response was quick. We were very happy with Bay, and I would recommend them.

Old 12-20-2018, 11:09 AM

1,570 posts, read 1,381,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
I am going to go with GreatCall as well. Their "button" alert needs to be charged at night, but I keep my cell phone by the bed then (I used my cell phone when I had my heart attack at 0200 hours). I like that their website lists the different levels of coverage and the prices right up front. Also, you can buy the GreatCall system directly online or at retail outlets like CVS, WalMart, etc. I contacted Life Alert for a brochure, but even the brochure doesn't have the prices in it - you have to talk to a sales person to find out what it costs. I found the same deal with Medic Alert, plus once you contact them, they call and email you endlessly afterward, even when you tell them you don't want the system.

Yes, I use their "button" alert too...not the jitterbug telephone. It's small and fits on a lanyard around my neck. I don't have to charge it every night. I think it stays charged for about three days.

I don't know why that link didn't work, but here they are at Walmart with all of their products. You can check them out on Amazon too. This will allow you to read reviews from other purchasers.
Greatcall at Walmart® - Save On Greatcall

Free 2-day Shipping On Millions of Items. No Membership Fee. Shop Now!

Old 12-20-2018, 01:17 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,774,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Thank you. the link does not work, but my dad has a jitterbug and loves it. I will look into this one.

We want to find one that works on a regular phone line either along with cell or in lieu of cell. when my dad fell, his cell phone said "No serivce" each time he tried to call 911 and he ended up crawling around in the snow for 6 hours before he was able to get in the house and call 911.
The Jitterbug is the Great Call service. My wife and I both have one of those, and they work perfectly where we are, at home or away.

This No Service problem will only happen, if you are living in an area, where there is a No Service situation with All cell phones. Ours come over the Verizon systems, and their service is the most wide use one in the country.

With the Jitterbug there is a 5Star button, that hooks up with their own operator as all the emergency button systems do. He would not call 911, but just push the 5Star button for emergency help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving