Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2023, 01:21 PM

204 posts, read 144,852 times

Advertisements

Word of mouth is of course a good source for networking, but now days everything is done online and through social media. Trying to find work under the table work a caregiver I know personally. It's a big circle here in Marietta Ga, north metro Atlanta area. Facebook is kinda wide open. Craigslist I guess is still usable. Just trying to find in house work for a friend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2023, 05:32 PM

9,115 posts, read 6,165,173 times
Has the friend contacted any service agencies about a job?

Old 07-21-2023, 05:43 PM

204 posts, read 144,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
Has the friend contacted any service agencies about a job?
From what I know, they posted their info on indeed. Problem is she doesnt have any certifications or license, so its always been word of mouth reputation that brought work to her. We're talking someone 55yrs of age trying to keep an income.

Old 07-22-2023, 03:05 AM

31,897 posts, read 26,945,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellisjay2 View Post
From what I know, they posted their info on indeed. Problem is she doesnt have any certifications or license, so its always been word of mouth reputation that brought work to her. We're talking someone 55yrs of age trying to keep an income.
While word of mouth is good far too many horror stories and fingers burned by hiring non-certified or otherwise vetted care givers. People need to know who they are letting into their homes and or that of a loved one who may be frail or otherwise vulnerable.

People will try to hire someone who came to them first via an agency or something first over basically a person they "found" online or whatever.

Old 07-22-2023, 09:18 AM

9,115 posts, read 6,165,173 times
Quote:

I understand the problems of finding work at age 55, but I would not let a person without certification or a license to tend to an ill friend or relative.

Unfortunately, it appears that decisions the person made earlier in her life have created a terrible situation for her now.

She is looking for off the books (aka under the table) work. She is looking to conspire with someone to skirt the law.

She is neither a certified nor licensed caregiver. It's past now, but this "little detail" should have been dealt with prior to now.

I am not endorsing these suggestions, merely trying to help you.

Probably the best opportunity is to ask other unlicensed or not certified caregivers for help. She should go to the local supermarket to find them. They will probably be the caregivers not in uniform.

She could also ask shoppers who look as if they need help if she can assist them.

Old 07-22-2023, 10:17 AM

36,413 posts, read 16,023,456 times
I've never had a license or certificate, I'm not a CNA, all my work privately (word of mouth) and through an agency never required either. An agency charges about 25 an hour and the caregiver gets 9 to11 an hour. Private pay varies too, but it's cash. I just retired from the agency last year at 69. Word of mouth is the best. There are many important rules regarding Agency work, and most agencies are great. There is no way to cheat on hours. There are some good caregivers and some not so good ones.

Old 07-22-2023, 11:34 AM

3,934 posts, read 2,187,428 times
Quote:
Most of the time it is done so the people like your friend could stay on public assistance:free healthcare-Medicaid, supplemental income- cash, free cell phones, free food, transportation, etc.

It isn’t that difficult to get a license- not a computer science; so it isn’t about the person’s age.

She works under the table perhaps so she could defraud the taxpayers - she doesn’t pay income tax to the Feds and the state, doesn’t contribute to society’s social security fund, doesn’t contribute to Medicare…- keeping all the money.

In addition she gets help from the taxpayers most likely - double fraud

Just think about it.

Old 07-22-2023, 11:52 AM

36,413 posts, read 16,023,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L00k4ward View Post
Most of the time it is done so the people like your friend could stay on public assistance:free healthcare-Medicaid, supplemental income- cash, free cell phones, free food, transportation, etc.

It isn’t that difficult to get a license- not a computer science; so it isn’t about the person’s age.

She works under the table perhaps so she could defraud the taxpayers - she doesn’t pay income tax to the Feds and the state, doesn’t contribute to society’s social security fund, doesn’t contribute to Medicare…- keeping all the money.

In addition she gets help from the taxpayers most likely - double fraud

Just think about it.
Go to an agency and get a caregivers job....no certificate, no license, and yes a paycheck with all applicable taxes taken out.

If she is on medicaid, she can still get caregiving from an agency, there are restrictions on what can be done in the house. Personal care only. I worked for one lady on Medicaid, through an agency and she took advantage of every single thing she could. She had me transport (against the law), cook and clean (against the law) in fact she didn't need any personal care at all. Of course she never got another caregiver from that agency as she was committing fraud. Medicaid fraud is rampant. She had a representative come to her house, she kept her robe on and pretended to be disabled and got like 300 a month with a catalog of things she was able to buy for free. It wasn't long before I reported to my Agency.

I don't think it's the caregiver committing fraud as much as the client.

Old 07-22-2023, 01:22 PM

3,934 posts, read 2,187,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tasmtairy View Post
Go to an agency and get a caregivers job....no certificate, no license, and yes a paycheck with all applicable taxes taken out.

If she is on medicaid, she can still get caregiving from an agency, there are restrictions on what can be done in the house. Personal care only. I worked for one lady on Medicaid, through an agency and she took advantage of every single thing she could. She had me transport (against the law), cook and clean (against the law) in fact she didn't need any personal care at all. Of course she never got another caregiver from that agency as she was committing fraud. Medicaid fraud is rampant. She had a representative come to her house, she kept her robe on and pretended to be disabled and got like 300 a month with a catalog of things she was able to buy for free. It wasn't long before I reported to my Agency.

I don't think it's the caregiver committing fraud as much as the client.
I didn’t mean her client - that is extra fraud if happening.

I meant the caregiver herself - everyone suppose to have a healthcare.

If the caregiver’s income is low (she works under the table, doesn’t report the income to the authorities as required) - the caregiver and her /his family is entitled to the Medicaid - a free healthcare and other accompanying goodies - like free or very inexpensive rentals/housing, free internet, food stamps, cash, etc as they are considered a low income fraudulently.

This the name of the game that OP is trying to help the alleged “friend” to play under the pretense that she “can’t get a license” at 55.

We are not stupid

Old 07-22-2023, 05:02 PM

6,854 posts, read 4,853,645 times
Maybe instead of caregiving, she should try to find work as a house cleaner. There is a certain rist hiring someone that isn't bonded, they fall and injure themselves for example.

There are lots of places hiring. Why does your friend need to work under the table?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving