Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 09:19 PM

327 posts, read 968,611 times

Advertisements

Has anyone had experience with this policy? My mother, a nursing home resident, was hospitalized for 9 days. Upon return to her nursing home she was placed in a MEDICARE bed for p.t. and o.t. while her MEDICAID bed stays empty. However, I was informed that the nursing home is charging $200 a day for the 9 days she was hospitalized or she will lose her bed and be placed in another medicaid bed. I must pay $1,800 to the nursing home for bed hold for 9 days. She is considered impoverished as she is on Medicaid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2010, 10:19 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
I have a friend who had her mother here in the hospital for some time. Thsi did not ahppen to her but then its a different stae. Mediaid is different in different states.Check with your stayes sical sevices divisio is my suggestion as they regulate nursing homes that talke medicaid patients.

Old 01-26-2010, 10:39 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,401,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smellykat View Post
Has anyone had experience with this policy? My mother, a nursing home resident, was hospitalized for 9 days. Upon return to her nursing home she was placed in a MEDICARE bed for p.t. and o.t. while her MEDICAID bed stays empty. However, I was informed that the nursing home is charging $200 a day for the 9 days she was hospitalized or she will lose her bed and be placed in another medicaid bed. I must pay $1,800 to the nursing home for bed hold for 9 days. She is considered impoverished as she is on Medicaid.
Your mother is now in SNF(Skilled Nursing Facility) designation because she is on physical therapy and occupational therapy--all cost are covered by Medicare under the 100 day limit per illness episode. She can be discharged (that is a change in designation) from SNF, if she no longer meets the rules for SNF care.

Why do you care if she is placed in another Medicaid bed in Long Term Care (LTC)??? I would not pay to hold the bed for the 9 days. Once she is discharged to LTC she is again eligible for Medicaid, she can possible stay in the same physical bed but only the designation will change. Some nursing homes have separate units for SNF and LTC but many nursing homes also just change the designation and keep you in the same physical location. It is not uncommon for LTC patients to go in and out of SNF and stay in the same bed. If she is poor, she cannot be just thrown out on the street, if she is eligible for Medicaid. It is illegal for nursing homes to seek money beforehand to have a bed available, if this is treated as a new admission.

I would seek advice from the appropriate state authority.

Livecontent

Old 01-27-2010, 04:32 AM

1,688 posts, read 4,299,250 times
[quote=livecontent;12629831]Your mother is now in SNF(Skilled Nursing Facility) designation because she is on physical therapy and occupational therapy--all cost are covered by Medicare under the 100 day limit per illness episode. She can be discharged (that is a change in designation) from SNF, if she no longer meets the rules for SNF care.Why do you care if she is placed in another Medicaid bed in Long Term Care (LTC)??? I would not pay to hold the bed for the 9 days. Once she is discharged to LTC she is again eligible for Medicaid, she can possible stay in the same physical bed but only the designation will change. Some nursing homes have separate units for SNF and LTC but many nursing homes also just change the designation and keep you in the same physical location. It is not uncommon for LTC patients to go in and out of SNF and stay in the same bed. If she is poor, she cannot be just thrown out on the street, if she is eligible for Medicaid. It is illegal for nursing homes to seek money beforehand to have a bed available, if this is treated as a new admission.I would seek advice from the appropriate state authority.

DITTO!

You need to know exactly what her insurance is.

So anyway, did she have medicare or medacaid or both when she was first admitted? How long has she been at the LTC facility? Sounds like she came back to her home with o/t & p/t orders post hospitial which means she will be placed in a designated skilled bed.
When you admitted her to the place (at the beginning), you were given a "hold bed Policy" and asked to read and sign it. Ask to see it, better yet have then make you a copy (are you the POA?). Each house is different about how many days they will hold a bed in these types of situatioins. But if she is medicaid, they can't kick her to the curb. Talk to social services at the home. They should know everything. Someones got their polocies/requlations turned around. Get the name and everything on the one who told you that you would have to pay cash. Somethings not right.

tyin

Old 01-27-2010, 02:49 PM

Thank you to all who responded. I was hoping for personal experiences regarding bed hold policies in nursing homes, but I do appreciate your time in posting. In regard to posters' questioning as to why would I care as to what Medicaid bed my mother is placed, I very much care. The elderly in this country are treated with a lack of compassion on all levels, financially, physically and emotionally. How cruel to place an elderly person, especially one suffering from dementia, into another bed, located in a different wing staffed by unfamiliar personnel, and with a different roomate. Now the elderly person with dementia must learn a different path to the dining room and possibly have a different room configuration (used to having a window view/now does not have a window view.) The elderly person experiences more anxiety, more helplessness, and more confusion in trying, once again, to cope in their new surroundings. BTW, the social worker told me I must pay the $1,800 for her bed held hostage. I do plan to call my attorney.

Old 01-27-2010, 07:16 PM

I'd think first because 1800 dollars isn't going to last long on attorneys fees. They often run 500 dollars a hour.Why pay when you can get the information for free is what I say but its your money to waste.likely the one who woulodn't pay to hold is the federal or state government anyway.

Old 01-27-2010, 07:23 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,429,067 times
If you dont pay the $1,800, will they give the Medicaid bed to someone else and put your mother on a waiting list for another Medicaid bed? That would be my concern, although I agree with you that any change is hard on the elderly.

Old 01-27-2010, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I'd think first because 1800 dollars isn't going to last long on attorneys fees. They often run 500 dollars a hour.Why pay when you can get the information for free is what I say but its your money to waste.likely the one who woulodn't pay to hold is the federal or state government anyway.

My attorney does not charge me for telephone consultations. You are correct. Medicaid does not pay for bed hold. However, the nursing home is charging me the private pay rate not the Medicaid rate.

Old 01-01-2011, 12:28 PM

1 posts, read 11,809 times
Thank you for posting this question. I was looking for the same information. My mom has dementia as well and I am in the same position as you with the nursing home charging the private pay rate for the bed hold! ACK! My question is slightly different though so if any one knows I'd appreciate an answer to whether you can pay the bed hold out of a Miller Trust or Qualified Income Trust? Thanks, Mary

Old 01-01-2011, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smellykat View Post
My attorney does not charge me for telephone consultations. You are correct. Medicaid does not pay for bed hold. However, the nursing home is charging me the private pay rate not the Medicaid rate.
That is because medicare can dictate the price they pay. Its like hospital cost are distributed and prvate insuranc epays more to makeup for what medicare doesn't pay. Its call subsidizing the cost of others care basically. It is distributed to make up for lower payment.Basically medicare refuses to pay then you go out of the medicare subsidized program to what others pay and subsidise others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving