Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 05:59 AM

6,224 posts, read 6,607,688 times

Advertisements

I've tried all treats, from Greenies to the Enzymes, & she likes none. Haven't tried brushing but don't think she'll like it. I feed dry & wet food daily, so some cleaning via dry food? I had her teeth cleaned about 3 mos. ago (she was a stray & is about 2 + yrs old now) & she was fine, w/ a broken canine only. But I can smell her food after she eats on her breath, so I wanted to know how best -- when these other things failed -- to keep her teeth clean? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2010, 08:44 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,628,093 times
Drop the dry food, it makes it worse, not better, despite what the food manufacturers and the vets they have bought might claim. With wet food, the cat's tongue is pretty efficient at cleaning the teeth surfaces. Raw food is apparently even better - but it takes specialized knowledge to do it right.

If she already has bad breath and just had a cleaning 3 months ago, I'd take her back to the vet to make sure there isn't something else going on, or a bad tooth was missed.

Old 06-23-2010, 09:22 AM

827 posts, read 3,093,809 times
I feed my cats canned food as well as a prescription food from my vet (it's a Hill's brand) which is called t/d. The kibbel is larger than other dry foods and as long as the cat will chew it (not swallow it whole like my fat cat does), it should work. I too had to have my fat cats teeth cleaned about a year ago. He was 8 years old at the time. Once in a while I will brush his teeth (the vet sells a chicken flavored enzyme toothpaste). While he isn't crazy about getting his teeth brushed, he is generally a scaredy cat, he does let me brush his teeth and LOVES the taste of the toothpaste. I have 2 other kitties who love the taste of the toothpaste but won't let me brush their teeth. As I said, my cat Otis, who lets me brush his teeth has always been a little on edge with fear and I believe this is why he lets me brush his teeth by cornering him on the bathroom floor. LOL.

Now we have a dog and she loves the toothpaste too. If you are going to try to brush your cats teeth, I highly recommend a chicken flavored enzyme toothpaste (preferably from your vet). Good luck and I hear what are saying about smelling the food after your kitty eats. Otis has the worst smelling breath. I need to try to keep up with his teeth but since we got the dog in the past month, he has been hiding a lot. HOpefully he will come out soon so I can get a weight on him and brush his teeth. I was referred by my vet's office to buy the T/D. None of my other kitties have oral issues except for Otis. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Old 06-23-2010, 10:06 AM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
We brush. It's a pain, and they hate it, but tough. We're bigger than they are.

Old 06-23-2010, 11:10 AM

1,501 posts, read 5,679,729 times
Tilli is correct.

But don't take our word for it -- the proof is right in front of y'all.

*They can't even rotate their jaws. Watch your cat the next feeding time, can't chew like other mammals.

*Look at the teeth -- designed to shear and tear. Check out the shape. They can't grind!

I suggest to the poster who's vet is selling them food and endorsing dry cereal for an obligate carnivore: may want to do some research on this, and consider finding another Vet. A quick Google will yield tons of facts.

Even easier: Consider reading the ingredients in that stuff, when you realize how much it costs.

'Please don't put yourselves through the nightmares we went through because we moved away from our longtime Vet and trusted salespeople instead.
Please do some searches-research. It's all out there at our fingertips.
Harvard Law Paper \: http://leda.law.harvard.edu/leda/dat...Patrick06.html

Dr MW Fox: http://www.twobitdog.com/drfox/specialreport_Article.aspx?ID=f78aec92-0b02-47f3-9575-cb1778647ad5 (broken link)
Feeding Your Cat** Know the Basi

Old 06-23-2010, 11:37 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,628,093 times
Quote:
The kibbel is larger than other dry foods and as long as the cat will chew it (not swallow it whole like my fat cat does), it should work.
Cats can't chew. They are obligate carnivores. Their teeth are specialized for predation and they do not possess the flat grinding surfaces that omnivores have. So in reality, cats don't chew their kibble. A few may crunch it between their front teeth, but most cats do exactly what your's does - they swallow it whole. (And often, puke it back up once it expands in their stomachs. ) The bits of kibble that remain in the mouth are very starchy - a starchy formula is a necessity for making kibble that sticks together, even the grain-free types. Cats lack the enzymes which humans have in our mouths to break down starches. So what's left to break them down? Plaque.

Really think about it for a moment. Kibble is basically meat-flavored cold cereal. Have you ever eaten a handful of dry Cheerios out of the box? Do you think your teeth felt cleaner after that?

Old 06-23-2010, 04:13 PM

1,688 posts, read 8,144,147 times
You can also try a "natural" method of teeth cleaning by giving your cat raw chicken feet or sliced turkey gizzard to gnaw on.

Old 06-23-2010, 04:19 PM

2,455 posts, read 6,662,886 times
I'd like to add one more thing that Tilli has mentioned re: starch. Starch turns into SUGAR with digestive enzymes. Hmmm....doesn't sound too nutritious to me.

Old 06-23-2010, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travel'r View Post
Tilli is correct.

But don't take our word for it -- the proof is right in front of y'all.

*They can't even rotate their jaws. Watch your cat the next feeding time, can't chew like other mammals.

*Look at the teeth -- designed to shear and tear. Check out the shape. They can't grind!

I suggest to the poster who's vet is selling them food and endorsing dry cereal for an obligate carnivore: may want to do some research on this, and consider finding another Vet. A quick Google will yield tons of facts.

Even easier: Consider reading the ingredients in that stuff, when you realize how much it costs.

'Please don't put yourselves through the nightmares we went through because we moved away from our longtime Vet and trusted salespeople instead.
Please do some searches-research. It's all out there at our fingertips.
Harvard Law Paper \: Incestuous Pet Food Regulation Allows Consumers to Feed their Pets Ring Dings and Krispy Kremes

Dr MW Fox: Conflicts Of Interest In The Veterinary Profession And The Origin Of (http://www.twobitdog.com/drfox/specialreport_Article.aspx?ID=f78aec92-0b02-47f3-9575-cb1778647ad5 - broken link)
Feeding Your Cat** Know the Basi

YEP YEP and YEP! 2 reps! And AMEN!

Old 06-23-2010, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveHorses View Post
You can also try a "natural" method of teeth cleaning by giving your cat raw chicken feet or sliced turkey gizzard to gnaw on.
Agreed! 2 reps!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats