Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2010, 06:46 AM

19 posts, read 62,789 times

Advertisements

Hi,

We have 2 cats and both of them use the litter box faithfully when they pee.

However one of the cats refuses to poop inside the litter box, instead deciding to do it right next to it.

The cat who refuses to poop in the litter box had previous had UTI but i think has recovered from that by changing his diet away from the bad dry food we used to feed them. However, he still refuses to use the litter box for pooping and obviously its less than ideal.

Usually people seem to have litter box avvoidance issues for both pee and poop and I haven't seen anyone with issues for poop only.

We have plenty of litter boxes and scoop them regularly so I don't think that's an issue.

Any insight suggestions would be welcome. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2010, 08:37 AM

2,029 posts, read 4,037,087 times
Was the cat with the UTI ever treated with medicine? If not, I would suggest a trip to the vet to have that checked out. You could try putting another litter box next to the first litter box.

UTI's can be tricky and if not treated properly will just come back. I used a holistic treatment last summer for one of my kitties and it worked great the first time. Then this last spring the same kitty had another UTI and the holistic treatment did not work at all. She finally had to have a round of antibiotics to knock it out.

Old 06-24-2010, 08:54 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,647,878 times
Is he constipated? He might be associating "pain" with the litter box and avoiding it. I've seen cats do that. You're cleaning the box out well, it sounds. My one cat wouldn't use the box if she saw anything in it. I had to keep it beyond clean. Maybe a thorough removal of all litter/cleaning the box/new litter might help?
And, maybe a medical/vet visit. But, some cats are strange about things and once they got something in their minds, it becomes a habit. Good luck with it.

Old 06-24-2010, 10:24 AM

8,036 posts, read 10,628,159 times
One of our three cats does that whenever there is any poop already in the litter box. She is just picky I guess.

Old 06-24-2010, 10:32 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,408,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montanamom View Post
One of our three cats does that whenever there is any poop already in the litter box. She is just picky I guess.
An automated self cleaning litter box will solve that issue. LitterMaids are great!
OP...Litter box avoidance is usually associated with some type of medical problem. In their heads: pain=box.

As suggested, a vet check could solve lots of frustration on your part.
Just as a FYI:Solutions for Litterbox Problems and Territorial Spraying!
and THE LITTER BOX

Old 06-28-2010, 07:54 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,561,395 times
Your kitty may have constipation problems. Since it hurts to poop, she blames the box and avoids it.

Symptoms of chronic constipation can include avoiding the box, frequent visits to the box, straining, vomiting, infrequent bowel movements, stool hard and dry OR excessively large stools.

Chronic constipation leads to megacolon, the only cure for megacolon is surgery. Do have her to the vet to discuss possible constipation. an x ray would be warranted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats