Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 12:45 AM

2,794 posts, read 4,156,528 times

Advertisements

We are wanting to add a kitty to our household, but want to make the right choice for us. In my experience from having cats since I was a baby, it seems that there is a definite difference in the temperaments of different types of cats.Was wondering if others have noticed similar things, or if it's just " the luck of the draw" as to whether or not one can predict what a cat will be like as an adult.

For instance, seems that all the Tortoiseshell cats I have had were very aloof & not very affectionate, the longer haired ones more mellow, Siamese intelligent but really high strung sometimes, black & white "Tuxedo" cats very smart & playful, etc. & so on.

I know each cat is an individual, so it's hard to predict future behavior from the looks of a kitten. And it's so hard to make any kind of guess as to how the cat will be as an adult, as most litters around here seem to be accidents, and you don't get to see what both parents are like. And I prefer to get one as a kitten, mostly because they are SO adorable, & irresistible, but also because they seem to bond closer w/ the family than an adult cat.
Would love to hear some experiences & opinions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2010, 01:02 AM

6,224 posts, read 6,616,013 times
I have a tuxedo. Great baby, she is! Very smart & playful, loves being brushed, attentive, friendly, sleeps w/ us -- & is always ready to play or follow us around. I'd suggest a tuxedo but then again, I'm way biased.

Old 07-05-2010, 06:44 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,576,592 times
make a few trips to the shelter and observe. See who Chooses you. All but one of my current cats were rescued as adults and I have deep bonds with them.

Kittens are fun too, of course. Remember though that kittens go and go and go and go. They climb and break and tear things up. Be Prepared.

Better to get two kittens instead of one.

Some people think color and markings have no bearing on personalities. It's hard to know, really. I love them all.

Good luck, and be sure to introduce us to your new family member(s)

Old 07-05-2010, 07:25 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,424,010 times
Your right....It is extremely hard to predict the personality of any cat, let alone a mixed breed moggie, without know the personalities of the dam and sire. It will be a 50-50 shot if the cat will loved to be held or lap cat...or just to enjoy being close by.
Your only way to get a closer idea, would be to go with a Pure Bred...and even then it can be dicey. If your really serious...do your homework and google or inquire about certain "family" type Breeds. Find a a reputable breeder and start asking questions. I can fully recommend the "Ragdoll" breed as the all around family cat. I have 3 who are "pure love" coated in fur!
But hitting a shelter would most def. be the more inexpensive way to go and you'd be saving a life to boot. It will just be basically, the luck of the draw. A kitten can raised in your household with your guidance and may bond better. It is also much easier to introduce a kitten into a household with other animals, than an adult cat. But as mentioned above, a kitten can be exhausting! Just a matter of preference! Good luck with your decision and please, post a pic when the new furbutt comes home!

Old 07-05-2010, 07:32 AM

442 posts, read 965,583 times
I have owned cats all my life (and I have been around for a long time) the advice here is good, if a kitten get two, if an adult go and see who picks you. I have found both to be true but then I own 7 cats - all rescued. I found no difference in color, I had a black one Simba who lived for 17 years and was a sweetie. I have Tony an orange and white who is a love, Bubba a grey tabby is great too. I could go on and on but cats do pick you and in my opinion the more love you show them they dod appreciate it and show it back, maybe not all at once but the do.
Have fun with your new friend.
Sidenote---get a scratch post whichever way you go so they do not tear up your carpet or furniture.

Old 07-05-2010, 08:01 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,993,078 times
I got my first cat around 1954 at age 10 or 11. I've never seen a color that went with a personality "type". They're all individuals, just like people. When you get a kitten there's no way to know if it'll grow up to be a lap cat or one that's more independent. I now have 3 young cats and all have very distinct personalities. Only one, the boy cat, still a silly lovable kitten that I got last month, is a lap cat. The silver and white, a little excitable, comes to us for a lot of petting but isn't a lap cat. The brown medium haired tabby, very laid back, sometimes doesn't want petting for a few days at a time. The blue eyed white kitty seems to need the most petting and attention and loves to nap in my lap.

Old 07-05-2010, 08:54 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,238,078 times
My experience over the years has been that male cats tend to be more one the snuggly side and female cats tend to be more aloof. Color has never seemed to make a difference.

I happen to have a litter of rescued ferals that are ready for their new homes if you would like 1 or 2.......

Old 07-05-2010, 10:09 AM

2,410 posts, read 6,005,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racelady88 View Post
My experience over the years has been that male cats tend to be more one the snuggly side and female cats tend to be more aloof. Color has never seemed to make a difference.

I happen to have a litter of rescued ferals that are ready for their new homes if you would like 1 or 2.......
My two female cats are very snuggly. We'll see how my new male kitten turns out.

The male cats my friends have don't seem to be as snuggly, but who can really know one way or the other?

Old 07-05-2010, 10:54 AM

2,455 posts, read 6,666,617 times
Let's see if I can help.

First, though, from experience, the cat usually chooses you.

Orange cats>>>very loving, can be stubborn, love to eat, can be introverted

Tabby cats>>>high strung, vocal, extremely intelligent, need a lot of interaction, get bored quite quickly, extroverted

White cats>>>Queen syndrome, very loving, more an observer then a participant, when trust is a given are very loyal, love to eat, easy cats

Calico cats>>>Queen syndrome, can be high strung, vocal, can be very loud, if another male in house will strut her stuff, can be cuddly, need attention and to be shown a lot of affection

Black and white cats>>>personalities range from A-Z, some are lovers, some are not, all extremely smart, very obvious communication methods

White with black spots cats>>>not easy to get to know but once the trust is established you have a buddy for life, can follow you like a dog, extremely intelligent (up there with tabby)

Grey cats>>>love to sleep and eat, love attention and love, once trust is established extremely loving, low maintenance cat, can be fastidious with habits

Old 07-05-2010, 11:02 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,576,592 times
With some cats, nature and nurture seem to be in equal measures influential. Some other cats may have stand-offish natures or clingy natures that are not at all affected by their living environments.

Sometimes independent cats will become lap cats in their senior years.

I have a kitty whom I adopted unsocialized from a shelter at 8 months old. She has a mistrustful strike-out-with-teeth-and-claws mean steak in her, but over the years I have been able to train her not to bite or attack me. In her early years I never would have dreamed she would be as cuddly to me (and to the other cats) as she is now. She is 6 years old now.

However she still has boundaries and limits the other cats do not have, and I do not push them.

Even all these years later I shudder, thinking about had she been adopted by someone without the patience and willingness to train her and understand her. She surely would have ended up one of those cats nobody likes: "stay away from that cat, it's mean" or even tossed out on the street (where she came from in the first place)

But then I think, well.....it was meant to be so why am I torturing myself over it. Her markings drew many, the shelter had told me, but her claws and teeth put people off. She Chose me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats