Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 03:47 PM

6,820 posts, read 9,056,827 times

Advertisements

Here's some more good info in another recent thread about cats not using litter boxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2011, 07:13 AM

1,322 posts, read 4,237,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post

One box for two or more cats and you clean it only every other day?
2 cats. 2 litter boxes.

Old 10-27-2011, 07:15 AM

i cleaned out both litter boxes last night after work. they werent really too bad. and then this morning i found poop in 2 separate corners of my living room! fresh turds! WTF! the litter boxes were clean. i swear this dude just likes to **** in the living room.

Old 10-27-2011, 07:30 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,569,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just1Lion View Post
i cleaned out both litter boxes last night after work. they werent really too bad. and then this morning i found poop in 2 separate corners of my living room! fresh turds! WTF! the litter boxes were clean. i swear this dude just likes to **** in the living room.
Well, it's a habit now. Cats are creatures of habit. It will take some time and work to break the habit.

Keep cleaning the boxes daily, and use an enzymatic cleaner, (clean the spots every day for a week) on the soiled areas. Block him from the room if possible.

You may have to resort to re-training....which is keeping the kitty in a small space with just enough room for litter box (kept almost obsessively clean) food and water dishes and bed.

You might try Cat Attract litter first though. And add a third box.

Old 10-27-2011, 07:32 AM

3,401 posts, read 13,370,836 times
Okay.

Suggestion number 2)

Strategicly place something in the corners to deter them. I had my mom's cat Delilah, who loved to poop under my computer desk in the corner. I don't know why. The boxes were fine. But that was just her poop spot.

I cleaned it thoroughly and put an empty wine bottle, and an old basket in there (they were random objects that were in reach, that's all). It didn't fill up the entire space - but the fact that they were there, stopped the cat from using that area entirely. It's almost like she was just pooping there out of carelessness, or because she had nothing better to do. And when I blocked it by putting something else there, she didn't really care - she just went about her business.

Depending on what your living room looks like, you may not have a lot of options... but it doesn't have to be extravagant. A plant. A lamp. a small chest of drawers - something not too small, but big enough to be obvious. And it doesn't have to be permenant. Just long enough for your cat to get out of the habit of using that corner. Things NOt to use: blankets, open boxes, laundry baskets, or stacks of magazines. that will only end badly, lol.

Also, citrus is very offensive to cats. Get some orange oil or lemon scented house cleaning products and apply them to that area. I used to have to pledge my fake plants, to keep the cats from eating them. (because being plastic leaves weren't enough...) Good luck

Old 10-27-2011, 08:43 AM

well i also want to ad that he does use his litter box. its almost as if he just sometimes feels like crapping in the living room. but he also uses the litter box. maybe he gets lazy and doesnt want to go upstairs.

Old 10-27-2011, 08:46 AM

2,319 posts, read 4,802,649 times
I'm wondering if that's my cats problem. He pooped in the LR last night and in the basement his a.m. WTH is his problem? He never, ever did this before we moved.

Old 10-27-2011, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marylandkitten View Post

Strategicly place something in the corners to deter them. I had my mom's cat Delilah, who loved to poop under my computer desk in the corner. I don't know why. The boxes were fine. But that was just her poop spot.
well the 2 poop spots are behind the tv and behind the wine fridge so we can try some stuff. but we have already tried laying down foil (he tried to eat it) and some lids to plastic storage containers (which got pooped on as well).

Quote:

Things NOt to use: blankets, open boxes, laundry baskets, or stacks of magazines. that will only end badly, lol.
yes magazines have been pooped on as well.

Quote:
Also, citrus is very offensive to cats. Get some orange oil or lemon scented house cleaning products and apply them to that area. I used to have to pledge my fake plants, to keep the cats from eating them. (because being plastic leaves weren't enough...) Good luck
holy crap, the corner pooper is also a plant eater! i will try the citrus thing. isnt pledge harmful if they ingest it?

Old 10-27-2011, 08:56 AM

2,319 posts, read 4,802,649 times
You have one crazy cat, Just1!

Old 10-27-2011, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peppermint View Post
You have one crazy cat, Just1!
indeed. make that 2. theyre all a little crazy though.

Otis (http://www.flickr.com/photos/65751725@N03/6273498510/ - broken link) by DMdeathwalker (http://www.flickr.com/people/65751725@N03/ - broken link), on Flickr
look at me! i poop in the living room and eat plants! but im awesome so i can do whatever i want!

Last edited by Just1Lion; 10-27-2011 at 10:18 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats