Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2009, 12:45 PM

1,367 posts, read 5,740,872 times

Advertisements

So, our 8 month old cat is a wild one. Unlike any cat I've ever had. No plants are safe. No shelves are safe (books all over floor, he's already broken all the breakables). He isn't attacking my parrot, but likes to hang out on top of her cage (can't get to her up there... but still).

We really need one room that the cat doesn't go in, or will have to find some way to keep him off the bird cage, get bookshelves with doors, and probably get rid of the plants. Right now we are using our spare room for books, plants, and Alice Bird, but we need a way to keep him out and the door open.

My question is, are there any cat deterrent devices that you think could work to keep him out of the spare room so that the bird, plants, and books can exist in peace? Keeping the door shut all the time is not an option, since the bird would then be isolated. We would like to have the door open during the day, but still keep kitty out. I've looked at motion activated sprayers and alarms, also sticky tape (though I think he'd jump over it). Most of these are pricey and have mixed reviews. I've even thought of installing a screen door, but would rather maintain SOME level of dignity in my house, lol!

ANY ideas or advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2009, 12:56 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
Since cats can jump pretty high, and claw their wat up whatever they choose to climb, I'd say the screen door makes sense. Unless you can install a celing hook in the middle of the room to hang the bird cage from, where the cat can't jump over or up to it.

That screen door is probably going to be in shreds pretty soon!

Old 03-16-2009, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Since cats can jump pretty high, and claw their wat up whatever they choose to climb, I'd say the screen door makes sense. Unless you can install a celing hook in the middle of the room to hang the bird cage from, where the cat can't jump over or up to it.

That screen door is probably going to be in shreds pretty soon!
Lol, the bird cage is 2' x 3' x 3' so hanging isn't an option!

I've been looking at motion-activated water sprayers, but am worried that it will just turn our hallway into a pond! Every other cat I've had has been so tame and sedentary, I had no idea this little guy was going to be such a maniac. He's lucky he's so damn cute!

Old 03-16-2009, 02:23 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,585,764 times
I have a maniac boy kitty as well, and I am a gardening machine...I have to keep my seedlings & indoor plants in the mud room so my little crazyhead cant get at them. I think a screen door (or better yet an iron mesh door) might be the best option in your case. You could also maybe set up a space for kitty to go for a few hours a day so Alice Bird can spend time in other parts of the house too. Could he still jump to her cage if it were positioned on a pedastal table the same length & width as the cage? Maybe you could build or have one built? That way, the books & plants can be safely shut away but the birdie can hang out and be part of the action!

Old 03-16-2009, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmycat View Post
I have a maniac boy kitty as well, and I am a gardening machine...I have to keep my seedlings & indoor plants in the mud room so my little crazyhead cant get at them. I think a screen door (or better yet an iron mesh door) might be the best option in your case. You could also maybe set up a space for kitty to go for a few hours a day so Alice Bird can spend time in other parts of the house too. Could he still jump to her cage if it were positioned on a pedastal table the same length & width as the cage? Maybe you could build or have one built? That way, the books & plants can be safely shut away but the birdie can hang out and be part of the action!
We do have "cat free" time when they are in the bedrooms and the bird can fly around each night. But, the bird can't be out all the time and likes to converse with us from in her cage! Oh, and her cage is BIG. It is huge, on a tall base, not something that could go on a table.

Moose (the cat) can jump HIGH! He can get onto our 5' tall mantle with no problem from a standstill, takes a leap and then pulls up with his arms!

We may have to move the bird to the living room and keep plants/shelves shut in spare room. Only problem with this is that the bird is territorial and does better when her cage is in the other room so when she comes out she can't see it.

I feel like I'm coordinating Noah's Arc here!

Old 03-16-2009, 03:41 PM

1,688 posts, read 8,147,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNaomi View Post
but we need a way to keep him out and the door open.
I second the screen door option.

We had a big indoor aviary in our last house. I can't explain the design (doesn't matter) but the ceiling of the aviary was about 6 ft.

Add one maniac of a cat - big 'un too at about 14 lbs. Mix with one cat-adoring parrot... and there was going to be trouble. Solution was to train cat that getting on top of aviary was SUPER unpleasant. I bought myself a water pistol. And I'd wait and I'd shoot him. I'm a pretty good shot. It didn't take long and he never scaled the aviary again and he steered clear of the parrots.

Old 07-03-2009, 04:27 PM

1 posts, read 6,963 times
Default Cat Deterrent

I use an ultrasonic cat deterrent to keep cats out of our garden, perhaps one of those would work indoors? Alternatively [URL="http://www.cat-deterrent.co.uk"]Cat Deterrent[/URL] website has a post about Freedom Fence which you could install, but it would give your kitty a slight shock!

Old 07-04-2009, 07:13 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
There are some very decorative screen doors on the market but whatever design you choose (if this is the way you go) there is special heavy-duty screening material designed for use in homes where animals live. I had a screen door made for my back door at a local screen shop and it wasn't expensive. The bottom third is solid and the top two thirds sport the heavy duty material which, even if the cats try and climb, doesn't tear. Good luck!

Old 09-06-2010, 04:50 PM

1 posts, read 5,579 times
I love the Latch'nVent door prop. It allows you to keep the door open just a smidge, but it is actually locked in place. You can still open and close the door, and allow for ventilation, but the cat stays out. I ordered from their website at [url=http://www.latchnvent.com]Latch ‘n Vent Interior Door Prop[/url] and they also have good pictures on their Facebook page, search for Latch'nVent interior door prop for cats, dogs, toddlers

Old 09-06-2010, 04:59 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,475,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanuaryGirl View Post
So, our 8 month old cat is a wild one. Unlike any cat I've ever had. No plants are safe. No shelves are safe (books all over floor, he's already broken all the breakables). He isn't attacking my parrot, but likes to hang out on top of her cage (can't get to her up there... but still).
I love that cat already!

Jack was a wild one too, but has really settled down toward the end of year two. I like the screen door, you can put non-destructible screen on it. and, you probably can hang that cage from the ceiling if you really want to. The joists or trusses support the ceiling or roof and so they will support the cage.

Pray for serenity.

Last edited by Wilson513; 09-06-2010 at 05:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats