Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2010, 03:48 PM

56 posts, read 145,309 times

Advertisements

And will they remember our other cat?
We had to foster them out until we bought a house. We have not seen them because it was waaay too painful, in case we were not able to buy a place...

But we got the place an we are getting them back this weekend.. I AM ON CLOUD NINE!!!! THEY ARE OUR BABIES!!! We bottle fed, and took care of them since they were 3 WEEKS old!!! they were fostered out when they turned 6 months.... so we have not seen them for 9 months....

saddest day of our lives when they had to leave.... we are wondering if they will remember us?? and will they remember our other cat, who was like a mother to them? And will she remember them? Our other cat was DEPRESSED when they left!! for months !!! I think she still is...

such great news!!! just wondering if cats remember owners, or other cats, after a long separation??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2010, 06:52 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
don't know about cats, but dogs sure do. I would imagine they'll be a little stand-offish until they get a good whiff of your scent - then they'll be all over you.

Old 11-10-2010, 07:19 PM

2,186 posts, read 7,944,713 times
Not in most cases. You start over with most cats after a separation of a few months. But, I did have a cat remember me after a year (or maybe he just needed someone to trust and felt I was that person). They just don't have the bond with their humans that dogs do. You hear of those stories about a dog waiting for an owner after the owner dies but you just don't see that with cats. It doesn't mean that they won't love you, they just need time to go through a transition. Good Luck!

Old 11-10-2010, 07:21 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,993,078 times
Where did you ever find someone to foster them for such a long period of time? Were they boarded somewhere?

Old 11-11-2010, 09:23 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,657,658 times
There are some places where I see the same cats every few months or so, sometimes 6 months or more between visits, and they appear to remember. But it could just as easily be that the cats are particularly outgoing with someone who wants to give them attention.

My hunch is that after 9 months of no contact they won't truly remember. Long term memory I don't think is a big thing with cats. But they will readjust just fine, most likely. You could have kept the memory alive more, perhaps, by visiting them occasionally. That is what I would have done in that situation.

Good luck with the reintroduction.

Old 11-11-2010, 10:39 AM

1,463 posts, read 4,326,588 times
Thats a long time to a cat and so much has happened they might not recall you too well. I used to go away for the summer when I was a kid for a few months to visit my older sister and I'd come back to my cat and he remembered. But he was in his own home with my things and sleeping on my bed. So since the cats really have no memory to well of you I'd say the chances are low. But you never know.

Best of luck with them!

Old 11-11-2010, 11:17 AM

2,888 posts, read 6,538,789 times
Years ago, our cat got loose outside. We were reunited many months later. The first time we captured him - he FREAKED out. Then second time, a few weeks later, he was still in survival mode. But once he was back indoors, he definitely remembered us. It took a little while to get back into the routine, but now things are wonderful.

You are lucky to have people that could care for them for so many months. You made arrangements to ensure they were cared for and came back for them. That's a story with a happy ending.

Last edited by MissNM; 11-11-2010 at 11:26 AM..

Old 11-11-2010, 08:22 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times
It will be like you were never gone. I had to foster Mickey for almost 2 years, due to just a messed up life for awhile. When I came back, he was like I had never left. My ex and I are always trading cats, due to his life and my life trading around, moving...and the cats adjust very well. Dogs, do not do as well as cats.

Old 11-12-2010, 12:07 AM

11,798 posts, read 25,187,018 times
ManhattanGirlz: I think the kitties might remember you if you really bonded with them. It could be hard to tell.

Old 11-12-2010, 06:27 AM

41,958 posts, read 75,192,887 times
I think they'll remember you. Let us know how the reunion goes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats