Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 10:40 PM

5,167 posts, read 11,434,314 times

Advertisements

GOE, as you know my Archie had a bad heart, so the general anesthesia wasn't an option for him, so the vet used the gas, maybe this would be safer for Whisper, when you feel the time is right. I would definitely give him something to calm him ahead of time.

forum rules, please read them

Old 01-27-2011, 10:53 PM

3,748 posts, read 12,400,319 times
The other option may be a mobile spay & neuter setup. Many areas now have this as an option. I don't know of any vets that will do a neuter in-house due to sterile environment concerns. Call your local SPCA or Humane Society and see if they have a Spay and Neuter van or can direct you to an organization that does. Good luck and thank you for helping this kitty!

Old 01-28-2011, 02:15 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,983,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garden of Eden View Post
I fear he is another FLUTD, for he has such stiffness, pain and swelling in his back legs and hips, which my other FLUTD boys in this house have.
That's not the symptoms of FLUID. These are good sites: FLUTD
Feline Lower Urinary Tract Disease (FLUTD) - Causes, Signs & Treatment of FLUTD in cats. - Cat-World
You may want a vet who specializes in cats or is well known for treating cats to examine your males with this stiffness. It sounds more like vitamin or mineral deficiency to me since more than one suffer from it. Are they aged? It could be some form of arthritis. And x-ray would help in a proper diagnosis.

Quote:
There is a very good chance that this is in fact true, for all the males in this area, seem to struggle with this God awful disease that I have come to hate.
Are you talking about strays or indoor-outdoor cats?

Quote:
Now to the point. I am so afraid that taking him to the vet to be neutered will break his little mind and he will never be the same again. His mind seems to have stayed in kitten-hood and has progressed no further then that. He has only known a feral existence and this home, and to this day, his behavior is still very much feral.
A good vet will have him asleep before he knows what's happening. Neutering only takes minutes. The cat feels nothing. There would be no reason for his mind to snap. Stress is minimal. They will give him pain relievers that will have him feeling just fine. Any personality change would be caused by the dropping levels of testosterone, not the surgery.

Quote:
God, I don't know what to do, and believe me, I am scared. He must be neutered. I waited until he showed me he was strong enough and that he was ready. He is both now. In fact, I believe when he goes into heat this aggravates his back legs and hips, putting him in extreme pain.
Your cat needs to be x-rayed for signs of arthritis or other bone problems deformities or old fractures. Male cats are always ready to breed so I don't know what you mean by him going into heat. You shouldn't allow the pain to go on and on.

Quote:
Now for my question:
Quote:
Does anyone here, know of any organization that will actually do an in-home neutering?
I never heard of such a thing. What if there is an emergency and more equipment or another vet is needed? I would never consider any type of surgery to be done at home. Also, no home is as clean as the operating room in the animal hospital.

Quote:
I know, I am really stretching it here, but darn it, I am just so scared to take him to the vet's office. This young cat shows signs of being scared of me yet! Can you imagine his fright with other people, and being in a scary place? I am besides myself, for this little guy has fought so hard to live and now I am staring at a place I have dreaded for a long time.
Talk to your vet about giving you a tranquilizer for him before you take him there. He'll be too drowsy to care.

Quote:
I seriously don't have the time to do the research about this myself, hence the reason I come here asking you. I am between a hard rock and a hard place on this one, but I know the neutering must be done. Can anyone help me here? I just don't know what to do.
See above. Get a tranquilizer to give him before you take him in. And while he's under have the vet x-ray his hips.

Quote:
If there is no agency or organization in existence, I plan on making an appointment with my regular vet to sit down with her, explaining in full detail about my Whispers. I will also hand her my written documentation of all the facts I do know about him. And, last. I will not have him vaccinated either, for rabies. Whispers' immune system is still not as strong as I would like to see it, and I am taking zero chances with him that a vaccine at this point in his recovery would harm him. I've seen close up and personal what vaccines can do to a cat who has health problems.
First be sure of exactly what health problems he has before you do anything. What you're describing is not FLUTD

Quote:
My deepest gratitude in advance for anyone here who may have information for me to follow up on. Thank you.

Old 01-28-2011, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Thank you for your prayers. Thank you.

I never leave any of my cats at the vet's office. I am one of those people who will not take no for an answer and I go right into the treatment room and right up to the point of intubation prior to surgery with my baby. I hold them, I sing to them, and I get them to keep looking at me instead of focusing on the unknown around them.
A pre-intubation tranquilizer would help the cat. As far as I know they're all grogged out before being intubated. The vet ccouldn't get them tubed if they weren't given something. When the preanestetic is given, the cat wont care who is there. It works on them like it works on people. They go into a lala land.

Quote:
There have been times I have been able to observe surgery through the glass, but believe me, I don't recommend this to anyone. It is so hard to bear. Any of what I just described is so hard to bear, and there have been times my knees have literally almost given out. You don't know how I have had to go to the ladies room to cry in private.
You may ask your Dr for tranquilizes for when you have to take them to the vet. Your anxiety can't be good for the cat. It may also affect the vet.

Quote:
I've had some pretty nasty experiences with some vets and since then I have promised every baby of mine, that they will not be left alone for one minute at the vets.......and that goes for recovery. I am there the second they come out of surgery and I stay until they wake up so that I can whisk them back home.
Excellent. Someone should always be there until they're awake and the tube is removed.

Quote:
Anyways.......(sigh).......Yes, I have to think if I have it done here, if Whispers will be more freaked then anything else. This is his safe zone. Damnation! God how I wish there was a sterilzation technique in pill form! You guys just don't know how much I wish for that!

This cat has never been to the vet so I know, I KNOW, no prescription medication will be prescribed for him so that I can sedate him here in order to get him to the vet. Hmmm.......wait a minute. I know of a vet who does in-home visits. Maybe he could come here to take vitals and draw pre-surgery bloods so that I can get a sedative prescribed, one that I can give to Whispers IM. Ok OK, you are getting me thinking, and that is what I need!!!!
I say go for it.

Quote:
In all seriousness, this won't take place for a good month. I have to make sure all the URI's in this house are over with and I have gotten some quality rest after all I have been through with Molly. But, in the meantime, I must plan a stragedy.

Thank you, Subject2change for helping me think! Thank you!
He may react totally different than you think. We were sure Zephyr was going to shred the tech's arms who inserted her chip but it was Zebulon who hissed at them. Go figure.

Old 01-28-2011, 02:59 AM

Default something is wrong here...........

Quote:

......I have been alerted why? I thought and prayed. And my answer was this: I don't think Whispers will make it through general anesthesia due to his delicate constitution and compromised immune system.
OK. One thing at a time. You said he was never to the vet so she wont prescribe a tranqualizer. How then do you know his immune system is compromized? Were blood tests done? When where they done? By who? The immune system can snap back rapidly. Let whoever did the blood work prescribe something for him.

What do you mean by a delicate constitution? I haven't heard of this before in reference to cats.

Quote:
I just am not able to shake this impression. So, I am going to start treating him with homeopathy to, at the very least decrease his FLUTD symptoms, and in the process make his generalized health improved. I am targeting his long lapses in between urination, his stiff back legs, swollen joints, hip dysplasia, and the beginnings of spine involvement.
See my other post. These are not (except the urination) the signs of FLUTD. You need to get his hips x-rayed. This cat is suffering. Neutering should take second place to finding what's causing these symptoms. You say you're "going to start treating him".... that begs the question as to why you haven't been treating him all along? And if you were, why is he still suffering?

Quote:
All day I have been researching homeopathy remedies for FLUTD's. With homeopathy there is no section titled diseases that will list remedies. No, instead you must understand the nature of the disease yourself and going by the symptoms being presented by the cat, fit that cat as purrfectly as possible to one remedy for ALL body systems, but most importantly the renal system.
The symptoms your cats are suffering from need expert handling. You need a proper diagnosis. Have the worst one x-rayed and have blood work done for vitamin/mineral deficiencies. Have him/her tested for FeLV and FIV. Let the vet advise you as to the best way to get this problem diagnosed corrected and treated correctly so the cats don't have to keep suffering.

Quote:
So, I made my choices and decided on six different remedies. I have as yet to match Whispers to one remedy, and because I am not sure which strength to start him at, I ordered two different strengths of each remedy. I am planning on not only working on Whispers, but all other 9 cats in this house who suffer from FLUTD.
Please take him to the vet for a proper diagnosis. You're going to treat 9 cats for a disease you have never had professionally diagnosed. Your treating for a disease they do not have the symptoms of. Something is very wrong here. You have 9 cats all showing the symptoms of the same disease or disorder. Why are you just starting to "treat" them now when, going by what you've posted, the condition is chronic? This is very confusing.

Quote:
Two also happen to be female, believe it or not. This disease is usually found in males, but I happen to know two of my females suffer as well, not as severely as my males no, but still they are presenting with symtpoms.
Since you're just now getting some homeopathy medication for them... what have you been doing for them before? If you truly love these cats you will take one or two of the worst ones to a Lic Veterinarian and get a correct diagnosis and blood work plus tests done on them. You have 9 sick cats there and you're only now getting some meds for them - not even knowing what they have.

Quote:
Up to this point, I didn't feel I had enough knowledge nor enough courage to do this.
Which is telling us you knew 9 cats were ill, have been ill - but you did nothing until now. How long has this been going on? Why haven't you had x-rays and tests done? I'm almost speechless......

Quote:
But, since working with Molly, I have now the gut intention to go forward and help heal these precious cats, to the best of my abililty. If I can just decrease their pain, I will be doing much. I have only been using herbal pain remedies, massage, my chiropractic adjustments, and acupressure to help my FLUTD's up to this point in time, but now it is time to put what I know to the test.
Which you are admitting has not helped or cured these suffering animals. While you did these treatments their condition has not improved by your own posts. You can't know how much pain they're in. Only God can know that. They should have been "healed" long ago by a proper diagnosis and professional care and treatment. We owe this to our cats when we adopt them, when we take them in.

Quote:
So, that all being said, maybe I can sleep now. I still plan on speaking with my regular vet and explaining in full detail about Whispers, and to contact the in-home vet asking him to do pre-surgery bloods and check up. God help me, for I need it with these babies.
You need to take one or two of the worse ones for a proper diagnosis, blood work, x-rays and treatment. Reading your posts tonight has really upset me. I would never allow such suffering to go on when every town and hamlet has a Lic Vet. When I saw my "treatments" weren't curing them. I don't know how you can let this go on for so long. Nine cats no less......

Quote:
Thanks for listening. And I again thank all of you who jump started my brain into thinking what the best course of action is for Whispers. I don't know how long all this will take in order for me to feel confident Whispers will make it through anesthesia, but as I am fond of saying, one day at a time, GOE, one day at a time.

God bless you!
Forget Whispers neutering for the time being and get a few of your sickest cats to the vet.........

Old 01-28-2011, 08:02 AM

2,455 posts, read 6,662,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Va-Cat View Post
The other option may be a mobile spay & neuter setup. Many areas now have this as an option. I don't know of any vets that will do a neuter in-house due to sterile environment concerns. Call your local SPCA or Humane Society and see if they have a Spay and Neuter van or can direct you to an organization that does. Good luck and thank you for helping this kitty!
I have gone that route in the past, and believe me, I won't again. It is like an assembly line for cats. I need a loving, safe, compassionate environment for this little guy in order for this to pulled off safely.

Old 01-28-2011, 08:08 AM

This is addressed to Kitty. I didn't read ALL your comments but I read enough. Enough already with the the pointed gun, OK? I HAVE taken all these cats to a vet and they ALL have been diagnosed with FLUTD. I am not explaining myself anymore than that. There is NO cure for FLUTD and I have been taking care of them. I have been treating them. With what, I explained that one, too.

MY question to you>>>>>Have YOU ever taken care of a FLUTD cat in your life? Have you? I have not ONE but TEN! Ten, Kitty, who are ill! Ten with this atrocious disease! Take a good long look at the pictures I have posted on here, and you tell me if they even look ill! They aren't suffering 24/7 because I treat them when they are! Now it is time for a permanent healing if I can humanly do it!

I have not been able to take Whispers to a vet for reasons stated. MY CHOICE NOT YOURS. If you again don't agree, I don't care. Stop judging me.

Geesh, Kitty, stop with the anger towards me already. I have enough on my hands as it is. If you don't approve of what I do with my cats and what I do with my life, that is your opinion and you have every right to it. But, please don't bring it here. I've had enough stress in my life the past few years to last me ten lifetimes, without seeing your angry words.

I have chosen homeopathy period. I have one cat Cuddles who was born with a curvature of the spine and today he is healed. Can you tell me anything in allopathic medicine that would do that?

STOP!

Last edited by Garden of Eden; 01-28-2011 at 08:58 AM..

Old 01-28-2011, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzenfreund View Post
GOE, as you know my Archie had a bad heart, so the general anesthesia wasn't an option for him, so the vet used the gas, maybe this would be safer for Whisper, when you feel the time is right. I would definitely give him something to calm him ahead of time.
Katz, I was thinking about gas also. In fact, the vet I work with uses gas for she feels this is safer as well. They wake up much faster and their seems less grogginess afterwords.

Thank you for the advice.

Old 01-28-2011, 08:17 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,556,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzenfreund View Post

My vet uses only fast acting Sevorflurane gas anesthesia anyway, but it is the ONLY anesthesia I will allow to be used on my cats. No ketamine, ever. No pre-injections, ever.

Old 01-28-2011, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
My vet uses only fast acting Sevorflurane gas anesthesia anyway, but it is the ONLY anesthesia I will allow to be used on my cats. No ketamine, ever. No pre-injections, ever.
Thank you, Catsmom21 and God bless you! (((HUGS))) I am writing that down right now!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats