Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 10:17 AM

557 posts, read 2,610,362 times

Advertisements

The shelter we're adopting our new male kitty from next week wants to send him home neutered. He's 10 weeks, 3 lbs., and his testicals have visably dropped. He seems so small for surgery and anesthesia--is he too little?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2009, 10:45 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,678,834 times
You may well receive negative opinions from some forum contributors but the American Humane Association has conducted extensive studies over many years which have shown that there are no ill effects to early spay/neuter. Our local Humane Society adopted the practice several years ago and since then I've had all my young rescues spayed/neutered at an early age with never a problem. Good luck with your new kitty!

Old 06-20-2009, 11:19 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,408,854 times
I always prefer to wait, but almost all shelters and rescues neuter/spay that early. My big guy simon, was done at 8 weeks and it didn't hurt him in any shape or form.

Old 06-20-2009, 11:46 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,807,637 times
Hooray for another kitty!

Old 06-20-2009, 12:57 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,023,541 times
my max cat was neutered at 11-12 weeks .... with no problems a'tall......

Old 06-20-2009, 04:11 PM

557 posts, read 2,610,362 times
Good to hear the positive posts. It's just that these kitties are so little! Can't believe we're bringing home a new kitty next week and the new dog is still settling in. Hoping the cat will want to eventually play with her little "brother" instead of teasing the poor dog! He can't even nap without the cat walking by and batting him on the snout!

Old 06-20-2009, 07:41 PM

5,010 posts, read 10,686,308 times
I am not so nervous about neutering, as it is a much simpler procedure than spaying. Still, I prefer to wait until 6 months (unless there is major spraying going on.) However, you mentioned that you have an older female, which can complicate matters... As everyone else has said, I don't think you will have a problem if you decide to neuter early. But if it were me, I would wait, unless there are major problems with the aformentioned.

Old 06-21-2009, 05:53 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,408,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
I am not so nervous about neutering, as it is a much simpler procedure than spaying. Still, I prefer to wait until 6 months (unless there is major spraying going on.) However, you mentioned that you have an older female, which can complicate matters... As everyone else has said, I don't think you will have a problem if you decide to neuter early. But if it were me, I would wait, unless there are major problems with the aformentioned.
I'm guessing the OP hasn't a voice in the matter, since she is getting it from a shelter.

Old 06-21-2009, 07:11 AM

2,807 posts, read 7,583,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
I'm guessing the OP hasn't a voice in the matter, since she is getting it from a shelter.
I think you're right...I know the HS around here will not ever adopt out an un-spayed/un-neutered animal. I actually got into a bit of an argument with the coordinator about that, and their absolute refusal to consider waiting until a safer, older age is one of the reasons I decided not to volunteer there...I would have been working in the clinic itself, contributing to these early operations and since I feel so strongly about waiting until the 6 month mark at least, I felt it would be unethical of me to partake in that.

Old 06-21-2009, 07:31 AM

5,010 posts, read 10,686,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmycat View Post
I think you're right...I know the HS around here will not ever adopt out an un-spayed/un-neutered animal. I actually got into a bit of an argument with the coordinator about that, and their absolute refusal to consider waiting until a safer, older age is one of the reasons I decided not to volunteer there...I would have been working in the clinic itself, contributing to these early operations and since I feel so strongly about waiting until the 6 month mark at least, I felt it would be unethical of me to partake in that.

I adopted my female cat from a shelter and, while speaking with the adoption rep, told her that my dog was not spayed, and I swear I thought that she was going to cut me.

I couldn't believe the audacity--"because, you know, we don't approve of that here!" regardless of the fact that my dog has never had pups, or that I decided not to spay her (thank God!!) purely for health reasons.

The woman actually acted as if she might refuse my adoption of the cat b/c my dog wasn't spayed (WTF?!) I, also, decided not to volunteer there (although I did end up adopting my [spayed] cat, a.k.a my little spitfire, who is awesome!) But I really couldn't believe how self-righteous and completely irrational they were about the topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats