Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 01:29 PM

2,186 posts, read 7,942,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocontengencies View Post
One more question. To change foods I have heard that you should do that gradually, like go half and half for a while and slowly decrease the old food? What do you think?
I personally prefer the cold turkey approach with the cats we have had because they are fosters and we often have no idea what they were fed before they get to us. If you must feed kibble, I would go for a good grain-free variety and make sure that you have a good water fountain for your cat and even consider adding water to the food. Solid Gold Indigo Moon and Wellness are a bit more accessible for most people who have access to Petsmart or PETCO. I prefer the small mom & pop types of stores but realize that they aren't everywhere. Although many of us are extremely passionate about what we feed, just feed what you feel comfortable with. We have some cats that come through that absolutely refuse to eat canned food. So, just make sure you are feeding a food without any corn in it. It tends to encourage gassy results in cats. Good Luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2011, 04:21 PM

41,951 posts, read 75,160,115 times
When Checkers was clearing the room with his flatulence, the cause was a parasite. If switching foods doesn't solve the problem, it's something to consider.

Old 02-14-2011, 12:53 PM

1,300 posts, read 3,602,915 times
I can sympathize with you, Fritz is the gassiest. I never heard of a cat having gas until we adopted Fritz. When he was a kitten he had issues with diarrhea so he was tested for parasites and was on an array of medicines. He doesn't have diarrhea anymore but he still has gas. We've tried feeding him yogurt and it does nothing. I'm thinking of changing his food from Natural Balance to a grain-free. I'm just worried about changing anything because he's so sensitive. OP, let us know how it works out.

Old 02-14-2011, 07:27 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,564,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
Not true!

That is a myth. And don't ask pet food store employees for advice about cat nutrition.
thank you, for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocontengencies View Post
One more question. To change foods I have heard that you should do that gradually, like go half and half for a while and slowly decrease the old food? What do you think?
Gradually is best most of the time, especially when going kibble to kibble. But sometimes you just have to take the plunge.

My kitten was being fed Purina kitten chow, a vile "food", when I rescued her. I couldn't stand the smell of the stuff, so threw it out and started her right away on canned foods, wellness and blue brands.

However, to help guard against intestinal and tummy upsets, especially diarrhea, I gave her a probiotic daily for several weeks. The probiotic did the job and she never had any trouble with the sudden switch.

One more thing: I think I saw this mentioned already but not sure....if your kitten hasn't been de-wormed, this needs to be done. And if she has, it may need to be done again. Do NOT get an over the counter de-wormer. Get drontal from your vet.

Let us know how things go.

Old 02-14-2011, 07:40 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,333,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-CityRelo View Post
I can sympathize with you, Fritz is the gassiest. I never heard of a cat having gas until we adopted Fritz. When he was a kitten he had issues with diarrhea so he was tested for parasites and was on an array of medicines. He doesn't have diarrhea anymore but he still has gas. We've tried feeding him yogurt and it does nothing. I'm thinking of changing his food from Natural Balance to a grain-free. I'm just worried about changing anything because he's so sensitive. OP, let us know how it works out.
Definitely get him onto a grain-free food!

Those grains are fermenting in his gut, and that's what is causing the gas. And while I know the olfactory consequences are pretty vile, think for a moment how your guts feel when you have really awful gas, the bloating and cramping you have - that's what your cat is going through from the grain in his food.

I never heard a cat toot until we got Finn. Before we changed his diet to grain-free food, there'd be a "pfffffft" every time he jumped into my lap, every time he jumped off my lap - you could hear it from across the room. And smell...... Oh my goodness. He walked around with a seemingly permanent putrid greenish miasma following him, to the point where friends and family would make up the most bizarre excuses to avoid coming in our house. And really, I couldn't blame them; his toots were enough to make your eyes water and peel the paint from the walls.

Finn has been on a fully grain-free (except when he steals a cracker from the counter) diet now for a year and a half, and he has virtually no gas at all. He is currently on Nature's Variety 95% protein grain-free canned, and is healthy, glossy, energetic and at the perfect weight for his frame. And our friends no longer make excuses to avoid visiting us.

Old 02-14-2011, 09:30 PM

18,051 posts, read 15,649,855 times
If my mother ever threatens to come visit me again, I will ask to borrow one of your most odoriferous super-farting cats and a bushel of corn to have on hand, as it were. I smell a solution!

<pun intended>

Old 02-15-2011, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwesternBookWorm View Post
Finn has been on a fully grain-free (except when he steals a cracker from the counter) diet now for a year and a half, and he has virtually no gas at all. He is currently on Nature's Variety 95% protein grain-free canned, and is healthy, glossy, energetic and at the perfect weight for his frame. And our friends no longer make excuses to avoid visiting us.
If grain-free gets rid of his gas for good then I'm sold!! Besides the cloud of smell (as you so accurately put it!) that follows him, I definitely don't want my little guy to be uncomfortable. I'll look into Nature's Variety. I suspected but wasn't sure it was the grains in the food that were the culprit. After hearing that your kitty was completely cured of the poots after switching to grain-free, I'm ready to switch. Thanks!

Old 02-15-2011, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
If my mother ever threatens to come visit me again, I will ask to borrow one of your most odoriferous super-farting cats and a bushel of corn to have on hand, as it were. I smell a solution!

<pun intended>
It works! We warned our guests as they snuggled on the couch with Fritz at our Superbowl party that he might poot. And then mid game our friend turns to us and says "it happened" and hands us our little smell machine.

Old 02-15-2011, 08:27 AM

77 posts, read 171,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-CityRelo View Post
It works! We warned our guests as they snuggled on the couch with Fritz at our Superbowl party that he might poot. And then mid game our friend turns to us and says "it happened" and hands us our little smell machine.
You just can't help but love him for that.

Old 02-15-2011, 09:20 AM

I looked up Wellness Core and Blue Buffalo Wilderness foods, which claim to be grain-free. Both foods contain potatoes, is this ok? Or I guess I'm asking will potatoes cause gas just as the grains have been?

I looked up Nature's Variety and noticed that there are no grains or starches at all in the food. Clay is listed as an ingredient but when I googled this I found that it's apparently used like yogurt is to help with digestion. NV doesn't have fish varieties though. I know it's not good for cats to have much fish because of mercury, but my guys love it...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats