Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2020, 02:55 AM

1 posts, read 541 times

Advertisements

My 16 year old cat all of a sudden flew off the bed and ran around the apartment twirling in circles and was all fluffed up like she was scared or being chased. I thought she had something stuck on her, but, I couldn't find anything. I got her and carried her back and she stayed under the bed for about an hour and now she seems just fine. What the heck? Anybody experienced stuff like this? Could she have had a bad dream??

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2020, 06:51 AM

272 posts, read 130,923 times
She might of heard something that you did not or could not. Getting fluffed up, especially a poofy tail is a fear response. She might have gotten a static electrical shock or a bug may have bitten her. Could be too that she got a wild hair up her works. Cats are definitely different.

Old 06-21-2020, 08:59 AM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times
That's normal behavior around here ...

It could have been any number of things, most benign as described above. Just keep an eye on her if it happens again, or if there are any further behavior changes.

Old 06-22-2020, 07:12 AM

2,978 posts, read 3,924,021 times
We have an old guy (19) and, sadly, he has some cognitive issues and has done some odd things too. For instance, if you wake him from a deep sleep he'll hiss and spit until he realizes where he is and he'll calm down.

When was she last seen by the vet?

Old 08-04-2020, 01:40 AM

44 posts, read 34,220 times
My cat has done the same few times. One time she went around in cyrcules for days. My vet did not do any scan but diagnosed a stoke. After a week treatment with steroids she got better.

Old 08-07-2020, 12:19 AM

5,193 posts, read 5,763,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene S View Post
We have an old guy (19) and, sadly, he has some cognitive issues and has done some odd things too. For instance, if you wake him from a deep sleep he'll hiss and spit until he realizes where he is and he'll calm down.

When was she last seen by the vet?
I've got a 19-year old too. Main thing she has started doing is meowing early in the mornings because she wants me to get up and feed her I think (although sometimes food is still in the bowl ). Or she'll meow after I've gone to bed because she wants company.

Old 08-07-2020, 06:35 AM

2,978 posts, read 3,924,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturen View Post
I've got a 19-year old too. Main thing she has started doing is meowing early in the mornings because she wants me to get up and feed her I think (although sometimes food is still in the bowl ). Or she'll meow after I've gone to bed because she wants company.

Our old guy has started meowing (loudly!) at random times. My husband is a reporter and since we're both working from home, he's had Benny's meows happen during interviews.

Old 08-11-2020, 12:08 PM

9,419 posts, read 11,166,375 times
OP where are you?

Old 08-12-2020, 09:49 AM

10,093 posts, read 6,431,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturen View Post
After my husband's first wife died, we got her 16 year old cat. She would sometimes wander the house in the middle of the night meowing sadly as if she was looking for someone. I think she had started to have cognitive issues by that time. I would call her and she would come to the bedside; as soon as I reached my hand down and petted her she would calm down and be quiet. She just needed to know there was someone in the house that was aware of her, I believe. Her cries were heartrending though, to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats