Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2011, 05:09 PM

221 posts, read 1,194,563 times

Advertisements

I'm sure there have been many threads on this, but haven't found one that solves my dilemma.

I'm moving about 8 hrs away in 2 weeks. I've moved my poor cats a few times before, and they hate riding in the car so much!!!

The oldest freaks out in his carrier so badly he shreds his claws. Last time he skinned his mouth on the metal mesh so badly it drew blood. The youngest pees in her carrier no matter what, and all of them screech constantly.

Yes, I've tried feliway. Yes, I always leave the carriers around the house for them to (theoretically) get used to. Yes, I've tried sedatives, but those seem to have no effect, maybe because I'm scared to overdose them.

I have this idea of putting up a small camping tent in the back of my minivan (after taking the back seats out) and zipping them inside. I'll put blankets and a litter box inside. Do you think that might work?

Any other ideas? The move has to be done, and they'll like the new place once we get there! I actually have turned down jobs in the past because I'm so stressed about moving my cats!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2011, 05:41 PM

309 posts, read 812,209 times
The solution that worked for us, although we had two cats so they could comfort each other, was to buy a really big travelling kennel (intended for a dog I think) that would just fit in the back of the car. It was big enough to put their favourite cat bed, a small litter pan and hang a water container from the mesh and a food bowl too. We placed their food in this whilst still at home for a week or so and put the cats in it for increasingly longer times over that week starting with just 5 minutes.

By the time we made the long car journey they shouted for a little while but then settled and were seemingly quite content, although every time we stopped the car (at traffic lights or for a comfort break) they would shout again for another 10 minutes or so. When we got to the new home, we left the crate out for a few days and funny that if anything frightened them in those early days in a strange place, they would run to the crate and sit inside it for a while!

Old 03-25-2011, 08:35 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,862,283 times
ive had good luck with rescue remidy, but in this case i think it might be worth something a little stronger from the vet...
the other option id say might work would be to put them in kitty harnesses and leash them into the back so they can move around and dont feel confined...(but cant get to you or be a distraction)
it may not be the car ride they dont like, but instead being confined to the carrier for that long.

tempi hates the carrier, but she doesnt mind being leashed in in the car, so thats how i handle all trips with her now...and when i make the move downsouth its how she'll spend the 2 day ride too.

Old 03-25-2011, 09:46 AM

1,300 posts, read 3,604,074 times
I used a Petmate carrier that was the biggest size I could fit in the SUV, intended for a medium-sized dog. We put the back seats down in my SO's Ford Explorer and this carrier took up half the space. It resembled a tent (soft sides and top) but the bottom was a soft sheepskin material. My cat got kinda meowy at night, but I think that's because he usually goes "crazy cat" at night and he had no where to run being in the car. I'd definitely recommend the carrier though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats