Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 01:57 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,995,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAM2 View Post
I have three adults who still play with toys when they are not playing with each other.

After this, they each find a favorite spot & sleep until feeding time.
Snips.

I'm wondering why all my cats are so tired of toys when so many other adult cats are still playing with them. I think I'll put *all of them* away for awhile except Zephyr's favorite mouse and see when happens. Maybe after a few weeks or months they'll enjoy them again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2011, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherfan2 View Post
Some cats just aren't interested in toys. Mine never really were. They don't care for them at all.
My SD has three male cats and they never were big on toys either. Two are brothers. I don't know if being de-clawed has anything to do with it. They're 7 and 8 years old now. She threw the toys away years ago.

Old 04-11-2011, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherfan2 View Post
Some cats just aren't interested in toys. Mine never really were. They don't care for them at all.
Most of the cats I've had in the past did like toys to some extent. But if you recall, there wasn't the number of cat toys available back then as there is now. My oldest, the 2 yr old, is the only one who still plays with one particular little catnip mouse. She usually leaves it in the main bathroom or bedroom.

Old 04-11-2011, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
My 6 year old still chases a small furry toy occasionally, but not often. When she lies on her side sometimes I softly lob one at her tummy and she "kills" it with her back feet. I think she's getting out her annoyance at her bratty brother that way.
When she was a kitten we used to play a game I called Psycho where she sat in the empty tub and I poked the shower curtain with my finger and she grabbed it. I was really sad when she outgrew it- I still liked it!
My 2 year old still likes to chase a crumpled paper ball. He's starting to lose interest in his other games.
I know the feeling. I miss playing with them too. Phaedra would lay on top of my quilt when I'd read in bed and attack my toes. A game she loved. When I read the papers she'd crawl under them and make a tent for herself. She loved a bouncy toy fish on an elastic cord fastened anywhere. She'd play pawsies under the bathroom door. None of these things interest her anymore.

Old 04-11-2011, 02:35 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,427,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
I know the feeling. I miss playing with them too. Phaedra would lay on top of my quilt when I'd read in bed and attack my toes. A game she loved. When I read the papers she'd crawl under them and make a tent for herself. She loved a bouncy toy fish on an elastic cord fastened anywhere. She'd play pawsies under the bathroom door. None of these things interest her anymore.
There's nothing quite as pathetic as a grown woman (me) trying to get a cat to play a game with her, while the cat gives her a look that says, "Mom, I told you before, that's baby stuff."

Old 04-12-2011, 01:40 AM

14,520 posts, read 8,768,824 times
My Carly loves packing boxes and paper. Also if I smooth down a plastic Target bag on the sofa, she'll nap on it for hours. Loves the plastic!

When she was younger she liked the wands with something (anything) attached to the stretchy tether.

Right now, her favourite thing is this: a long piece of thread is wrapped around an antique upholstered side chair in such a way that a long end hangs down. She gets under the chair and bats at it, and also tries to nip at it with her teeth. Of course, the thread is small enough that she never really gets it. Though now and then I have to wrap it around the chair again, so that it hangs of the edge in the best position.

She's been loving this for a couple of months now, which is the longest she's stayed with any one type of toy. Crazy cat.

If I can ever catch a pic of her playing with her thread, I'll post it, though the thread will not be visible probably. (I don't think I did very well in describing this...lol.)

Old 04-12-2011, 02:09 AM

Tonight our cats were going totally wacky over a few moths and some long legged thing that got in the door when I came in from the greenhouse. I mean they went CRAZY over them. They usually catch them all. By the time they're worn out and going for a nap, the bugs are gone.

Old 04-12-2011, 06:35 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,576,592 times
Ah yes...the evil Mothra! The kitten had her first experience with Mothra the other night. She was having a blast with all the chasing and leaping. I happened to be looking at her when she finally caught it with her paws and put it in her mouth. It was HILARIOUS! She spit it out immediately and her face said "EWW Yuck". I started to giggle and she looked at me and said "prrrrrUPP?" (what IS that thing mommie?) I don't know if it was the movement or the fuzzy texture that put her off, but I laughed and laughed.

It was still fluttering at that point so I picked it up and put it outside. But boy, was she wound up after that!

Old 04-12-2011, 07:13 AM

1,870 posts, read 2,390,167 times
Some kitties really go for those Turbo Scratchers.

Here's an older cat showing off her Turbo skills.. gotta love it:

Old 04-12-2011, 07:17 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,660,570 times
Yeah, there are always those things that are not really toys but turn out to be very interesting. Plastic bags are in that category, yes. Amber will lie on them but the big thing is licking them. And any cardboard box is attractive. She's not quite like the famous Maru with boxes, but still plenty interested (at 15!) A year or two ago when it came out I got here a sort of cat furniture piece made out of cardboard. Caboodle Corrugated Cat Furniture Perfect, right, given that she likes boxes? Not really. She was never much interested in that, preferring instead the real boxes, of course. I should have known....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats