Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 11:37 AM

2,807 posts, read 7,587,058 times

Advertisements

My mom's elderly cat Ollie has taken a turn for the worse.
She's out of town helping my grandmother prepare for a big move...so I'm "in charge" and kind of freaking out because I don't know if he's going to make it until she returns. When I got there last night to give him his heart pill (atenalol) and feed him, I was greeted with a massive stench...diarrhea and vomit . He wouldn't eat, (not that I blame him, I wouldn't want to eat either if I was nauseated...)

There was no loose stool or vomit this morning, but he still won't eat for me, and I had to put his pill into a syringe with a bit of water and squirt it down his throat because he wouldn't take it this morning, not even with TUNA...BIG red flag there, he loves tuna . I'm going to head back over there after I feed my dogs and try again...if I have to, I'll mix up a gruel with some chamomile water and syringe-feed him just to get some nutrients into his body, and hopefully get his appetite going. I'm also going to pick up some laxatone and PRAY he'll eat some of it for me. If he still hasn't eaten on his own by this evening, I'll take him to the e-vet center and get some plasmalyte into him so he doesn't dehydrate.

Mom's making arrangements to fly back ASAP instead of waiting until Wednesday...she almost didn't go on this trip because she had a gut feeling something might happen to Ollie...he had gotten very ill after the Wellness recall, and though he seemed to be improving he just never really got back to his old self again. Her fear was that leaving him would depress him/stress him out and he'd get sick again, but she was torn because my grandmother really needed her help and support, (she's 88 and very emotional about having to leave the city she's called home for over 40 years.) But if this cat crosses that bridge before mom has the chance to say goodbye, she'll never forgive herself...please pray for Ollie to hold on for us...the light has gone out of his eyes, and I feel like he just doesn't want to be here anymore .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2011, 11:43 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,429,508 times
Prayers for Ollie, you and your Mom. What a stressful position for you to be in.

Old 04-16-2011, 11:47 AM

1,758 posts, read 5,494,565 times
Oh no!!!! Is it possible that Ollie is just upset being left home?
Hugs and prayers for Ollie, your mom, and you!

Old 04-16-2011, 11:48 AM

2,455 posts, read 6,667,986 times
Oh, Luv, my friend, you have my prayers. The stress you have been under with Lilith's surgery, and your Mom leaving, and now this. If this is his time to go the Rainbow, I am praying with all my might that he hangs in there until your Mom gets home. I know he has been unwell for a while, and I too have had a "feeling" about Ollie........

Hang in there, just hang in there. Try to take deep Yoga breaths, and remember, that all is being overseen by angels.

xxGarden

PS You have no idea how badly I want to be there right now to help you. Oh, this distance is so hard at times!

Old 04-16-2011, 11:49 AM

2,053 posts, read 4,817,029 times
As someone who has lost pets in the past, I completely understand how you and your mom feel.

God bless little Ollie, and all the wonderful people who have been caring for him. Thoughts and prayers to all of you.

Old 04-16-2011, 11:51 AM

2,029 posts, read 4,039,432 times
Saying prayers for all of you.

Luv, if you get a chance pick up some all meat baby food for Ollie. It's easy for him to digest and will give him some nutrients. I'm off to work now. I'll check back here when I get home. Good luck and try to stay calm. I know, easier said than done!

Old 04-16-2011, 12:20 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,355,097 times
Saying prayers for Ollie and hoping for the best. My thoughts are with your family.

Old 04-16-2011, 12:30 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,863,660 times
So sorry to hear this....all of us animal lovers know your pain......called the vet??

Also, when I went on vacation for a week, my elderly cat immediately quit eating and vet had to give appetite stimulant meds; when I got back, she gobbled up all in her sight....possible this is same for Ollie? (I learned never to leave an elderly pet)

Thinking of you~catmom of 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmycat View Post
My mom's elderly cat Ollie has taken a turn for the worse.
She's out of town helping my grandmother prepare for a big move...so I'm "in charge" and kind of freaking out because I don't know if he's going to make it until she returns. When I got there last night to give him his heart pill (atenalol) and feed him, I was greeted with a massive stench...diarrhea and vomit . He wouldn't eat, (not that I blame him, I wouldn't want to eat either if I was nauseated...)

There was no loose stool or vomit this morning, but he still won't eat for me, and I had to put his pill into a syringe with a bit of water and squirt it down his throat because he wouldn't take it this morning, not even with TUNA...BIG red flag there, he loves tuna . I'm going to head back over there after I feed my dogs and try again...if I have to, I'll mix up a gruel with some chamomile water and syringe-feed him just to get some nutrients into his body, and hopefully get his appetite going. I'm also going to pick up some laxatone and PRAY he'll eat some of it for me. If he still hasn't eaten on his own by this evening, I'll take him to the e-vet center and get some plasmalyte into him so he doesn't dehydrate.

Mom's making arrangements to fly back ASAP instead of waiting until Wednesday...she almost didn't go on this trip because she had a gut feeling something might happen to Ollie...he had gotten very ill after the Wellness recall, and though he seemed to be improving he just never really got back to his old self again. Her fear was that leaving him would depress him/stress him out and he'd get sick again, but she was torn because my grandmother really needed her help and support, (she's 88 and very emotional about having to leave the city she's called home for over 40 years.) But if this cat crosses that bridge before mom has the chance to say goodbye, she'll never forgive herself...please pray for Ollie to hold on for us...the light has gone out of his eyes, and I feel like he just doesn't want to be here anymore .

Old 04-16-2011, 01:53 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,192,079 times
luvmycat: I am so very sad to read about Ollie. I hope he makes it, at least until your mom makes it back.

Old 04-16-2011, 02:01 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,620,222 times
Hi luvmycat,

Please know we're praying for Ollie. I hate hearing these stories but trust God will assist you, Ollie & your grandmom in this time of need. Keep us posted please, & keep faith that Ollie will continue to find a way to fight as best as possible to hang in there. May God Bless you & yours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats