Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 01:06 PM

1,758 posts, read 5,492,997 times

Advertisements

This is an interesting subject, so I thought I would give it its own thread.

What are your plans if your pets outlive you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2011, 01:39 PM

While I am rambling...

There is a shelter in my area-ish that adopts out cats and dogs to senior citizens with the agreement that the shelter will take the animal back if the person is no longer physically capable of caring for the animal or upon the person's death. The shelter pays for all vet care forever.
I can think of more good things coming from this sort of arrangement, over not so good things. No system is perfect...

Old 04-10-2011, 01:45 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,424,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola4 View Post
This is an interesting subject, so I thought I would give it its own thread.

What are your plans if your pets outlive you?
This came up on another thread awhile back, so it's been in the back of my mind. Unfortunately, my plan so far is that I can't die for quite awhile yet! I'm trying to come up with a better plan. My animals deserve it. I have many friends who are dog people, a couple who are cat people, but most have as many animals as they feel they should have now. I do volunteer at a shelter, but a pit bull and a mixed breed that looks kind of pitty, now 3 and 4 years old, would be hard to find homes for although I know they'd do their level best for them. My 6 year old cat would be another problem, especially since she doesn't like other cats and probably would go insane in one of the cat colony sections, and equally insane in a cage. Again, I feel sure they'd take care of her the best they could, but finding a home could be awfully difficult, and for her that life in a shelter would be even harder than for most animals. My 2 year old cat would have the best shot at finding a home of any of them and that's not saying much. I'm really hoping someone here has knowledge of a better answer.

Old 04-10-2011, 01:48 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,078,069 times
We can't even agree of the proper guardians for our children, much less for our pets. All other family members are allergic. I'll just think about that tomorrow....................

Old 04-10-2011, 02:02 PM

8,039 posts, read 4,514,086 times
My hope and prayer is that I outlive my pets so I don't have to worry about it but on the other hand I do think I will always have a pet even when God forbid these three beat me to the rainbow bridge. I have a wonderful vet that I will at some point discuss this issue. I feel that he and the rest of the wonderful office will rehome them and try their best to keep them together as they have been together since they were so very young. I refuse to let my sister take these fur babies. She does love animals don't get me wrong she just does not take care of them like I do. She does not do the little things for them that I do. My friends while they have pets are also iffy. Maybe I am too picky. I try not to think about it though but at my age I should begin to make some kind of plan.

Old 04-10-2011, 02:02 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,858,669 times
my pets are in my will...
any property and items of monetary value i leave behind belongs to my animals plain and simple and the sale of any such property will go to their care for the rest of their natural lives.

my sister has claimed my birds...and im ok with that as jack jack loves her...
the other animals it would depend on who outlived me in terms of animals and family members.

i also have arrangments with a sanctuary, that should i have no relitives able or willing to care for them THEY will take my animals (its a no kill place thats more like a hotel than a shelter) and of course anything of monetary value i have goes to their caire no matter who takes them.

if i were to go tomorrow though, my sister gets the birds, my fish would be rehomed, and mum and dad get the dogs and cats.

Old 04-10-2011, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
Unfortunately, my plan so far is that I can't die for quite awhile yet!
Same plan here. I am also hoping that someone will come up with an answer that will work for us. I need a plan in place. My hubby and I have NO PROBLEM having a chunk of our estate go to the person or facility that would take our pets...it is the finding of that person or facility that is the problem.

If we had just one dog or two cats (a low number) ...simple.

Also, a person I know just informed me that she has put me in charge of her pets (2 dogs and 6 cats) if something should happen to her. I'm not happy. She said that she just assumes I will have them put down, but she doesn't want to know what my plans are. I know I don't have to accept the responsibility, but that STILL doesn't fix the situation. She is not in a situation like GOE or Cats21. She has made a plan that works for HER...not her pets...and not for me.

Old 04-10-2011, 02:20 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,424,313 times
Wow, how do you inform, rather than ask someone, that they'll be responsible for the fate of 8 animals if you die? Takes a lot of nerve.

Old 04-10-2011, 02:21 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,078,069 times
I can't believe somebody would place that responsibility on someone without their permission. Just not right. She is just passing the buck. personally I would tell her so.

Old 04-10-2011, 03:31 PM

455 posts, read 1,238,794 times
If my pets out lived both of us unfortunately my dog and two moggies would go to a rescue centre, which I have already selected as they will find good homes for them. I don't know anyone who would be able to or want to look after them. My Ragdoll would return to his breeder.

The rescue dog my Aunt recently acquired Zac will come to me, I am already starting to introduce my dog Duke to him. Hopefully it will not be necessary but its better to be prepared.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats