Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 11:28 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,556,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
so I'm guessing you mean one of those 3 oz small cans? does she get it once a day or how many feedings?
I would think movintime means the 5.5 oz cans. 5.5 ounces a day for an adult 10 pound cat sounds just about right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2011, 01:10 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,645,588 times
Yeah, must be one 5.5oz can because one 3oz can would be too little. Mine eats two 3oz cans. You do have to have some rough idea of calorie density, because they're not all equal. For example, Weurva is known to have more water and fewer calories in a given amount vs most other cans. Even so, at two cans sometimes one of the cans is Weruva and I think that is still enough. Right now I'm juggling various cans of Weruva, Fussie Cat, Soulistic and Tiki with an eye on cutting the tuna intake. (Recent few days I've been pushing more and more of Weruva "steak frites" into the bowl mixed with less and less tuna/salmon and it might be working. This morning's bowl was at least half if not more of the beef dish. Would like her to like a few different varieties, but it's been tough. Chicken generally has not been a hit at all except when it's mixed with plenty of tuna.)

Old 04-25-2011, 02:38 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,607,688 times
Quote:
so I'm guessing you mean one of those 3 oz small cans? does she get it once a day or how many feedings?
No not a 3 oz, I use a 5.5 oz can of either. Also, never use a 12.5 oz Wellness can (if you can help it) as it is lined for sure, according to Wellness customer service, w/ BPA (the bad lining that has toxic problems).

Old 04-25-2011, 05:13 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,607,688 times
Oops, I missed "how many feedings". I give her either 2-3 feedings depending on how she eats that day. Sometimes my g/f (she's home all day w/ her) gives her a 4th feeding but they are about 1/4 of a can/feeding. Thus, it equates to about 1 can/day roughly on most days.

Old 04-25-2011, 06:32 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movintime View Post
No not a 3 oz, I use a 5.5 oz can of either. Also, never use a 12.5 oz Wellness can (if you can help it) as it is lined for sure, according to Wellness customer service, w/ BPA (the bad lining that has toxic problems).
good to know. can't rep you so soon. thanks.

Maybe my cats aren't lying after all.
I just never thought about how much a cat should eat with refilling the dry kibble bowl. it's a whole different game when you feed wet cat food.

Old 04-25-2011, 07:22 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,271,680 times
Ruby my new sheleter cat will not even touch wet food and really all she likes are those treats and she eats almost 1/2 a package of them a day. She won't eat anything healthy whatsoever, inclucing deli turkey @ $10.99 a pound. She is so unlike Gracie who ate three cans of Fancy Feast plus dry food every day.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 01-12-2015, 08:52 AM

2 posts, read 2,839 times
Red face Best Feeding

Quote:
I feed my two ten pound boys 6 oz of wet can food each day. I feed one 3 oz can of Weruva in the morning, and another 3 oz can of Weruva at night.

I also give them high quality Innova dry food as a treat. I give them 1/2 oz every other day at night time.

They are healthy.

I trade off on the tastes. They don't like pate foods. They only eat the chunk foods. So there are good high quality foods that are chunky. Weruva has about four. I trade my cats off on tastes.

Old 01-12-2015, 11:20 AM

20,361 posts, read 14,636,289 times
Lavod, this is an old thread. Welcome to the forum though!

You will find that many of us have by now, and after exposure to many of the opinions here about it, only feed wet food (raw or canned) to our cats.

catinfo.org explains why.

As for how much, I give my boy 3 meals a day of a 3 oz can of food at each. No dry kibble. He sometimes doesn't finish it all, but usually does. Leaving each meal out until time for the next one is not a problem, it might seem gross but it doesn't bother the cat and isn't a health or safety problem for a cat so long as all they are eating is wet.

He weighs about 13 lbs (I think, it's been a while since I weighed him) and his shape checks out when viewed from above.

Old 01-27-2015, 11:42 AM

2 posts, read 2,839 times
Default Thank you!

Yes, i have found that my 10 pound cats need about 9 or 10 oz of wet cat food a day.
Thank you for your reply!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
Lavod, this is an old thread. Welcome to the forum though!

You will find that many of us have by now, and after exposure to many of the opinions here about it, only feed wet food (raw or canned) to our cats.

catinfo.org explains why.

As for how much, I give my boy 3 meals a day of a 3 oz can of food at each. No dry kibble. He sometimes doesn't finish it all, but usually does. Leaving each meal out until time for the next one is not a problem, it might seem gross but it doesn't bother the cat and isn't a health or safety problem for a cat so long as all they are eating is wet.

He weighs about 13 lbs (I think, it's been a while since I weighed him) and his shape checks out when viewed from above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats