Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 06:13 PM

2,455 posts, read 6,662,886 times

Advertisements

Last night, not one, not two, but four of my cats somehow squeezed through a window that I had opened a tiny crack to let some air in, for it being so blazing hot. I had not gotten around to clean the screens yet so this window had no screen on it.

One cat went around the house to the back door and was let in. Both hubs and I were in our kitchen talking when hubs happened to look out the back door and say, "Is THAT Rocky outside????" OMG! Heart failure! Hubs opened the door and thank God, he came right in.

I ran into the living room having a suspicion that he had gotten out of the window that I had cracked open, and there on the ground outside looking up at the window, was Doodles. OMG! What to do? I ran to the back door instead of going out the front so I wouldn't spook him and as I ran around the house, I saw Tigger sitting on one of our basement windows. OMG! I scooped him up, ran to the back door, and put him in.

I then ran around the house, and there is Doodles, sitting frozen on our window sill. OMG! What to do? I slowly and I mean slowly approached him, and when I had him firmly in my hands, hubs opened the window and he was put in.

I ran back in the house. Anyone else outside? I frantically started a head count and sure enough! OMG! Megan was missing. I run to the front window and there is Megan on the ground outside. Now this one is tricky with a capital T!

Hubs decides to go one way, and I the other in two separate directions around the house, intending to walk toward her from both two sides. Unfortunately, we spooked her, and she ran into the wild part of our backyard. I tried to follow but I was barefoot and in my pj's, and I just couldn't get through the tangles. I could see her, but darn it, she wouldn't come towards me. I saw her run towards the back door. YES! Megan! Keep going! She turned, panicked, and ran over to my barn neighbor's junk pile, and from there I lost her.

It was raining. It was dark. Hubs and I went out with the beam light and searched for her. I stood in the back yard crying and calling out her name. This cat is wild. This cat will not come to me when called. Never has. I knew in my heart, that Megan would come home on her own terms.

I refused to think bad thoughts. I said in my head that if Megan is choosing to stay outside I would have to accept it. I washed dishes and cleaned the kitchen. It poured outside. I waited. I cried. I went to the back door encouraging her to follow my voice. Two hours passed. As I was just finishing up cleaning the kitchen, there was a noise at the back door, and there is Tigger seemingly calling her in. YES! Megan was at the back door! I carefully walked over slowly so I wouldn't again spook her, opened the door and PRAYED that she would just walk in. She did.

I have never been so relieved in my life. I will NEVER again crack open a window without a screen on it. Somehow, one of my cats, and I believe it was Tigger, managed to move the crank to the window to open the window just enough to get through, and monkey see monkey do, first I believe it was Tigger, then Rocky, then Doodles, and last was Megan.

This could have been a LOT worse and more of my cats could have gotten out. If Whispers had gotten out, I don't know if I would ever have seen him again. I thank God that again angels worked with us and all are safe here.

The moral to the story is......do not ever crack open a window without a screen. I wouldn't have believed any of my cats would have been able to get through, but they did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2011, 06:25 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times
glad you didn't lose anybody.

One day I saw Oscar sitting on the back porch trying to get in. he had been sunning himself on a sill with a screen. But somehow the screen came loose, fell to the ground and Oscar went with it. Don't know if he fell or pulled the screen off or what happened. Langley was sitting on the sill trying to get up enough nerve to jump when I figured out what was happening.

so just because you have a screen, don't think they can't get out.

Old 05-14-2011, 06:26 PM

5,010 posts, read 10,686,308 times
Oh, Garden, you are too cute! All that worry, and they didn't even go five feet from the house!! It sounds like they were just curious about an open window; it doesn't sound like they are very eager to run off and join the circus

In fact, I think that you could leave that window open for a month and you would not have even one of those cats go missing

Old 05-14-2011, 06:34 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,809,581 times
Oh, that must have been scary. I know that my youngest, who has never even been outside, tries to bust out the screens just because she sees an ant or something.

I must admit that the following part of your post made me laugh...

"Both hubs and I were in our kitchen talking"

She has two husbands? Oh man, that would suck.

Old 05-14-2011, 06:35 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,417,593 times
Very glad everyone's home and OK. Sometimes these kitties can turn our hair gray!

Old 05-14-2011, 06:38 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,841,613 times
OMG, glad all were safe and sound. Sneaky, sweet little devils.....they are so clever. I know you were afraid for them, that is hard, waiting to see if they will come back~

Your warning comes a bit too late for me: earlier this week, I too opened a window just a crack for air/no screen. Later, I looked out and OH THERE IS ROXIE and how DID she get out???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garden of Eden View Post
Last night, not one, not two, but four of my cats somehow squeezed through a window that I had opened a tiny crack to let some air in, for it being so blazing hot. I had not gotten around to clean the screens yet so this window had no screen on it.

One cat went around the house to the back door and was let in. Both hubs and I were in our kitchen talking when hubs happened to look out the back door and say, "Is THAT Rocky outside????" OMG! Heart failure! Hubs opened the door and thank God, he came right in.

I ran into the living room having a suspicion that he had gotten out of the window that I had cracked open, and there on the ground outside looking up at the window, was Doodles. OMG! What to do? I ran to the back door instead of going out the front so I wouldn't spook him and as I ran around the house, I saw Tigger sitting on one of our basement windows. OMG! I scooped him up, ran to the back door, and put him in.

I then ran around the house, and there is Doodles, sitting frozen on our window sill. OMG! What to do? I slowly and I mean slowly approached him, and when I had him firmly in my hands, hubs opened the window and he was put in.

I ran back in the house. Anyone else outside? I frantically started a head count and sure enough! OMG! Megan was missing. I run to the front window and there is Megan on the ground outside. Now this one is tricky with a capital T!

Hubs decides to go one way, and I the other in two separate directions around the house, intending to walk toward her from both two sides. Unfortunately, we spooked her, and she ran into the wild part of our backyard. I tried to follow but I was barefoot and in my pj's, and I just couldn't get through the tangles. I could see her, but darn it, she wouldn't come towards me. I saw her run towards the back door. YES! Megan! Keep going! She turned, panicked, and ran over to my barn neighbor's junk pile, and from there I lost her.

It was raining. It was dark. Hubs and I went out with the beam light and searched for her. I stood in the back yard crying and calling out her name. This cat is wild. This cat will not come to me when called. Never has. I knew in my heart, that Megan would come home on her own terms.

I refused to think bad thoughts. I said in my head that if Megan is choosing to stay outside I would have to accept it. I washed dishes and cleaned the kitchen. It poured outside. I waited. I cried. I went to the back door encouraging her to follow my voice. Two hours passed. As I was just finishing up cleaning the kitchen, there was a noise at the back door, and there is Tigger seemingly calling her in. YES! Megan was at the back door! I carefully walked over slowly so I wouldn't again spook her, opened the door and PRAYED that she would just walk in. She did.

I have never been so relieved in my life. I will NEVER again crack open a window without a screen on it. Somehow, one of my cats, and I believe it was Tigger, managed to move the crank to the window to open the window just enough to get through, and monkey see monkey do, first I believe it was Tigger, then Rocky, then Doodles, and last was Megan.

This could have been a LOT worse and more of my cats could have gotten out. If Whispers had gotten out, I don't know if I would ever have seen him again. I thank God that again angels worked with us and all are safe here.

The moral to the story is......do not ever crack open a window without a screen. I wouldn't have believed any of my cats would have been able to get through, but they did.

Old 05-14-2011, 06:40 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,841,613 times
LOL maggie~ one is too much, two.....OMG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie2101 View Post
Oh, that must have been scary. I know that my youngest, who has never even been outside, tries to bust out the screens just because she sees an ant or something.

I must admit that the following part of your post made me laugh...

"Both hubs and I were in our kitchen talking"

She has two husbands? Oh man, that would suck.

Old 05-14-2011, 07:02 PM

2,455 posts, read 6,662,886 times
LMAO Omigosh!!! TWO husbands!?!?! You guys crack me up. Hubs and I were in the kitchen together. It is the usual for us, being so busy, having room to room conversations. LOL LOL LOL

We were laughing tonight at the antics of these guys. Yeah, tonight we are laughing. And hubs is thinking of drawing a cartoon, titling it the BIG Escape and having all the cats that got out drawn in prison stripes. ROFLMAO

Old 05-14-2011, 07:10 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,852,904 times
oh hun *hugs*
i know how stressfull it can be, and im just glad they all got rounded up quickly *hugs*

Old 05-14-2011, 07:21 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,153,734 times
Glad everyone's home safely!

The spouse is so paranoid about the cats jumping through the screen that he bought a bunch of those little expandable screens, and puts them in the windows. In front of the screens we already have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats