Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 09:15 PM

2,087 posts, read 4,285,219 times

Advertisements

I had read somewhere that cats will pee to show ownership, or that they are missing (in a good way) a favorite person.

This isn't the article I was looking for but it gives the same perspective.

Looking for behavioral aspects or reasons is very interesting.

Always be sure to rule out medical issues, of course. I know you have. [smiley face]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2011, 09:17 PM

Got interrupted, didn't post the link...

Cat Is Peeing on Daughter

Old 07-17-2011, 09:19 PM

Too Funny!

s' bed

Old 07-17-2011, 09:32 PM

2,873 posts, read 5,850,769 times
We went through this with our oldest...

First, thank you for ruling out a UTI. Many people automatically assume that the cat is being "bad' and don't consider a medical issue.

As others have said, a Feliway plug in can help. It sounds like you have three cats? You should have one litterbox per cat, plus one extra. And they should be separated. If she seems to pee most often in the bathroom, try putting one in there.

You might also consider retraining her. Select an area (bathroom works best) and remove any objects she might choose to pee on. She'll have to stay in there with just a litterbox for as long as a week. The idea is to get her used to only using the box again, then gradually give her more (supervised) access to the rest of the house. Only let her out when you can directly observe her, and put her in the box if she shows signs like sniffing about or squatting. You don't want to punish her, just get her make in that 'groove' more or less.

Try different litters- definitely try the Attract, but also consider textures. If your litter is coarse, she might prefer something more sand like.

Last, you may have to use medication. We had to go this route eventually with our oldest. We used Prozac for about six months, and then we were able to wean her back down and eventually off of it. After the first course she used the litterbox faithfully for almost eight years.

Sometimes this problem can be difficult and frustrating to correct, but it almost always is fixable. The meds should be a last resort, but they can be a lifesaver for both the pet and the owner if the only other choice is rehoming the pet. With our girl, we never figured out WHY she did this, but she was an overall nervous cat despite being the household 'alpha' and queen. In fact, being the alpha may well be the answer- females also will mark territory.

Old 07-18-2011, 11:14 AM

450 posts, read 5,022,039 times
Hi, OP here.

Thank you for all your responses. Will address each one and will keep you updated on things we are trying and how they are working out.

Just have a minute now and wanted to add something else. We went out of town this weekend (just for one night) and left the cats at home with lots of food, water, litter.

As soon as we came back on Sunday, within 10 minutes of walking in the door, the cat with the peeing problem peed right on the carpet (in a corner) in the room where we keep the litter boxes. It seems that she was displeased that we left and wanted to let us know. Since then she has used the litter box fine. There were no other pee stains anywhere, so she didn't pee while we were gone (as far as we can tell).

This is very frustrating.

For the poster that asked, we have two cats, an older (alpha as far as I can tell) female and a much younger male. The female is the peer. We have three litter boxes, two uncovered and one covered. The male has always been very submissive. The female always eats first, drinks first, gets to eat the treat first. I have never observed the male barring the female access to the litter box, and I would be very surprised if that was what was going on. They are always cuddling together and seem to like each other.

So far she has been peeing the most in the room where we keep the litter boxes (spare bedroom we never use). All three litter boxes have been in there but I will look into moving one to another room. She is only peeing on carpet now. She does tend to pee on the bath mats as her second favorite spot.

We're going to work on these suggestions. Will keep updating this thread. Thanks!

Old 07-18-2011, 12:17 PM

Be careful about assuming she's doing it to 'punish' you- cats don't really have that kind of thought process. She might have something more akin to separation anxiety. She's upset because you're gone, and the relief of tension when you return makes her urinate. Or she might see herself as more alpha than you are, and on your return feels the need to graphically mark that the territory is still hers.

Old 07-18-2011, 06:46 PM

450 posts, read 5,022,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParallelJJCat View Post
She might have something more akin to separation anxiety. She's upset because you're gone, and the relief of tension when you return makes her urinate. Or she might see herself as more alpha than you are, and on your return feels the need to graphically mark that the territory is still hers.
This is interesting. I never would have thought about either of these two scenarios. How might I know if she thinks she is more alpha than I am?

Old 07-18-2011, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass101 View Post
This is interesting. I never would have thought about either of these two scenarios. How might I know if she thinks she is more alpha than I am?
Well, you said she's a confident, self-assured cat and you believe she's alpha over your male. Cats aren't as direct with this sort of things compared to dogs, but they do have ranks.

Does she often perch up in high places? Does she demand petting and attention on her terms, such as when you're already engaged with something? Does she become over-stimulated (allowing you to pet her for a period, and then becoming angry at you for still petting her?)

If it is a territory thing, the Feliway can help- it basically helps the cat feel that the territory is already claimed. You may consider having her wear a Feliway collar as well as doing the plug-ins.

On the other hand, territory issues can be a little harder to solve than if she were doing it from anxiety (because with anxiety it can be easier to identify and remove the source). So the medication short term can help here.

Also, make sure you're cleaning where she has urinated with a enzyme cleaner- regular carpet cleaner just won't do for this. Enzyme cleaners break up the odor. A popular one is Nature's Miracle. You may also want to consider investing in a small black light- you can use it to find any urine spots you might have missed (they'll glow). If there is any urine around she'll be able to smell it even when you can't, and she'll be drawn back to those areas.

She's definitely communicating SOMETHING to you- so think about what she might be trying to say. She's urinating on plastic (the oils can mimic pheromones), clothing (covering your scent), and when you return from an absence. She's not trying to be bad, and I highly doubt she's punishing you- if she is marking territory, it might be because she actually is anxious (thus the need to reclaim it over and over, or when things change). Sometimes being 'on top' is more stressful than being on the bottom, because you have to hold that position.

Old 07-19-2011, 02:10 AM

455 posts, read 1,238,720 times
If your cat was weeing in a specific corner that would be easily resolved by putting the litter tray in her preferred corner.

As she is weeing outside the litter tray, there is a reason why she doesn't want to use the litter tray.

I have three cats all neutered males, so far so good, no litter problems. I do run into problems when I have to use a different cat litter because I can't get their usual cat litter. I have also run into problems if I have bought a litter fresher or litter liners. Basically used anything different.

They will not use a litter tray that is due for changing. I clean their litter trays every morning. Every evening I clean and disinfect them. I have 6 litter trays in total, three upsatairs in their crates, their crate doors are always open through the day. A large hidden litter tray (complete with artificial plant) in my hallway, a hooded corner litter tray in my kitchen and a litter tray in their outdoor pen which is placed inside a wooden dog kennel.

If all else fails I would crate a cat of mine if he/she continued to wee outside the litter tray. Not too long to be cruel but certainly for a few hours at a time, until the cat got the message.

All my cats are crated through the night. I have extra large dog crates which are fully equipped for the cats, with food and water, the bowls bolt to the side of their crates so the cats can't easily spills them. They have a corner litter tray in them, a single duvet and cover plus a donut bed each. A cat scratch mats attached to the inside of their crates and hanging toys.

I hope you can soon resolve the problem.

Old 07-19-2011, 04:35 AM

Also- how are you reacting when she does this? I wouldn't advise trying to punish her. Cats don't always make the associations we wish they would. So if you come home and find pee somewhere, and then try and punish her, all she knows is that when you come home she gets yelled out. Then the next time you come home she feels anxious, which makes her pee...something that starts as one thing (marking) can become something else (cripes, they're home and I'm in trouble!).

My JJ has decided that if he vomits after eating the bowl or the room are to blame, not himself for bolting his food. So he won't eat in the same room again for a few days, and has to have a different plate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats