Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 08:20 AM

41,965 posts, read 75,205,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
Be careful, because that's one thing that helped Mickey get so chubby. I went to grain-free, lowest carb dry (Evo turkey) and months later started checking calorie counts and found it was WAY higher in calories than other foods.
Good to know, thanks. I'll check that out. Right now they're eating Blue Buffalo Wilderness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2011, 08:21 AM

1,228 posts, read 1,929,178 times
Feed it Lean Cusine...lol joke

Old 08-09-2011, 09:21 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,660,570 times
Quote:
Be careful, because that's one thing that helped Mickey get so chubby. I went to grain-free, lowest carb dry (Evo turkey) and months later started checking calorie counts and found it was WAY higher in calories than other foods. So that backfired. I do still use Evo for the dry portion of their diet, but I'm measuring it out now instead of free feeding. Still hard though trying to figure in the other cat.
Yes, very true. If you simply can't get the cat to eat anything other than dry, at the very least you can get better quality ones (it's still not great for them, but better). You do have to be aware of the calorie density though. Even if you used, say, EVO weight control (which they do make) it's still a pretty calorie-dense food and you have to measure out carefully the daily intake.

I did this with my cat for years then she actually got hyperthyroid and lost a lot of weight. Not ideal, but the vet did say last time this is now a pretty good weight for her. (So I'm actually trying to make sure she doesn't lose any more, such a weird change from what I had done for several years. Meantime it was the hyperthyroid that got me started learning even more about the food and trying to have her eat wet food, etc.) It's been about a year and a half since the initial thyroid diagnosis.

FWIW, all the years eating stuff like Innova Weight Control then EVO Weight Control and such, that never resulted in much weight loss for Amber that I can remember, even with measured portions. But then, she weighed maybe 15 pounds at her heaviest not 25 which is a big difference. And she may have been down to around 14 or similar before it dropped fast when the hyperthyroid came on strong. The bigger the cat, the easier it should be to have him shed some weight at least. And anything is better than doing nothing.

Old 08-09-2011, 09:31 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,427,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Yes, very true. If you simply can't get the cat to eat anything other than dry, at the very least you can get better quality ones (it's still not great for them, but better). You do have to be aware of the calorie density though. Even if you used, say, EVO weight control (which they do make) it's still a pretty calorie-dense food and you have to measure out carefully the daily intake.

I did this with my cat for years then she actually got hyperthyroid and lost a lot of weight. Not ideal, but the vet did say last time this is now a pretty good weight for her. (So I'm actually trying to make sure she doesn't lose any more, such a weird change from what I had done for several years. Meantime it was the hyperthyroid that got me started learning even more about the food and trying to have her eat wet food, etc.) It's been about a year and a half since the initial thyroid diagnosis.

FWIW, all the years eating stuff like Innova Weight Control then EVO Weight Control and such, that never resulted in much weight loss for Amber that I can remember, even with measured portions. But then, she weighed maybe 15 pounds at her heaviest not 25 which is a big difference. And she may have been down to around 14 or similar before it dropped fast when the hyperthyroid came on strong. The bigger the cat, the easier it should be to have him shed some weight at least. And anything is better than doing nothing.
I've thought of switching to the Evo weight control. But one thing I actually like about Evo's high calorie count is, I'm measuring out a smaller amount of dry than I would be with something else, which hopefully gets them to eat more wet. Not sure if I'm right about that or not, though.

Old 08-09-2011, 09:35 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Four dogs. None overweight. Why?

Weight-based feeding and then periodic weight checks (and eyeballing) and then adjusting the food given at each feeding based on that.

No free feeding.

No people food.

Can you just cut down on the amount of food?

Old 08-09-2011, 09:40 AM

Quote:
I've thought of switching to the Evo weight control. But one thing I actually like about Evo's high calorie count is, I'm measuring out a smaller amount of dry than I would be with something else, which hopefully gets them to eat more wet. Not sure if I'm right about that or not, though.
It may not always be clear. I mean, some cats me be interested in eating volume so in fact a less dense food would be better as they would be able to eat more volume of it. But it's true that if that is the case, it also may drive them to eat other food if that's the only thing available once they finish the small portion of kibble available to them.

I've never had to deal with the whole one cat taking the other's food though. That's a tough one. We did have two cats in the house for a while, but Amber wanted nothing to do with the other cat's food. Indeed there was an incident where I ran out of her food, tried to use the other food, and she wouldn't touch it. She even cried at me like "Hey, you really don't expect me to eat THAT cat's food do you?" She had to go a day without anything else before I could get out and get her food (it was too late at night when I realized I had forgotten, pet stores were closed).

Old 08-09-2011, 09:49 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,427,629 times
If only cats WERE as easy as dogs with stuff like this. I've never had an overweight dog, you have a lot more control. That's part of the cats' charm though, even when you want to bang your head against the wall.

Old 08-09-2011, 09:53 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Quote:
If only cats WERE as easy as dogs with stuff like this. I've never had an overweight dog, you have a lot more control. That's part of the cats' charm though, even when you want to bang your head against the wall.
You will have to educate me. What's different? Not being sarcastic. Have only had one cat and basically followed the same rule, but I am not a cat expert.

Old 08-09-2011, 09:53 AM

Quote:
We had an overweight dog many years ago, beagle mix. It was so long ago I don't really know, I'm sure there was too much free feeding. And we didn't have him long, and the next owner let him get even bigger. Poor thing looked kinda like a pig as I last remember him....

Old 08-09-2011, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
You will have to educate me. What's different? Not being sarcastic. Have only had one cat and basically followed the same rule, but I am not a cat expert.
Dog is typically not at all finicky about what kind of food you feed it. I think that was the point anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats