Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 02:03 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,991,242 times

Advertisements

Someone let their 6 week old kitten out in Smyrna, near the airport. It was ran over by a car right before we passed. We immediately stopped and picked her up. She was not in good shape. We rushed her to our vet in town but she could not be saved. Her one leg was run over and broken as was one side of her pelvis tearing her rectum and doing irreparable damage. The vet recommended euthanasia as even if the leg was removed and the soft tissue damage repaired, she would most likely never have control of her bowels.

The person who hit her kept going. We stopped and I ran out and stopped traffic, which is not high speed, as she was trying to drag herself across the road to where the houses are. People were very nice and no one yelled or beeped their horns. They had plenty of time to see me.

Anyone who allows their cats outdoors to roam should be forced to see what a cat that's run over and still alive looks like, smells like and hear their pitiful cries of agony. Then their cat/s should be taken away from them.

The vet did not charge us to euthanize the kitten. He is the owner of the Animal Hospital where our vet is employed and known to be a very kind and caring man. I believe if he could have saved her, and her rectum had not been torn, he would have. We were willing to pay to save her.

She was a long haired brown and gray tabby with copper colored eyes.... may she rest in peace. Yes, I cried all the way home.

Last edited by =^..^=; 10-07-2011 at 02:05 PM.. Reason: misspelled word
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2011, 02:58 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,424,313 times
So sad. I'm glad at least you were there to help her so she didn't have to lie there suffering for who knows how long. And kudos to your vet.

Old 10-07-2011, 03:17 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,573,088 times
I thank you for your kindness to her and your willingness to stop and help her. I absolutely agree - no cat should be allowed to roam outside. I have not found one in that shape, but I have found strays that were starving and sick and took them to my vet. Several times euthanasia was the only option but when possible I either kept them myself or found a good, forever home for them. I believe in karma - the driver of that car will reap what he/she has sown in this instance. A friend of mine adopted a kitten who was thrown from a moving car and although he did survive he was never quite "right" and as he aged he began to rip at his flesh and caused an open, seeping wound. The vet said it could have been due to his severe trauma at an early age. He had to wear an elizabethan collar for quite a while and once he discovered how to get it off he would reopen the wound. He eventually had to be euthanized as well. I cried my eyes out - he was such a brave boy. Again, thank you for caring about this baby and doing the right thing. I don't blame you for crying over it....

Old 10-07-2011, 03:28 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,680,385 times
In all fairness, many times I have seen cats hit by cars and the drivers had no idea what happened. I have seen them dart into moving traffic and try running between the front and rear wheels. Once the chairman of our local feline rescue ran over a cat that was sitting under her car and tried running when the car moved. the car won, Fortunetely others saw it and was able to help the cat, but the driver (who LOVES cats) had no idea what happend and nobody blamed her because it was an unfortunate accident brought on by irresponsible owners who let their cats run free.

Old 10-07-2011, 06:25 PM

1,457 posts, read 4,054,865 times
Poor little kitten. That's so sad. I'm sorry that you had to go through that, but thank you for trying to save her.

Old 10-07-2011, 06:58 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,183,468 times
That's so sad. Thank you for caring enough about the kitten to give a humane end to its life.

Old 10-07-2011, 06:59 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,991,242 times
I did try. I had hoped the vet could do something, anything to save her. I thought maybe remove the crushed leg. But her injuries were too serious as part of her pelvis was also crushed. I don't understand how people can allow their cats to roam knowing something like this can happen and not caring. They just open their door and let them out. I'm sure this wasn't a feral kitten because it was plump, had clean ears and no fleas. It was trying to get to the side of the road, dragging itself by it's front paws, where the houses were. It was probably trying to get home. I would be banned from this board if I posted what I think of her owners.

Old 10-08-2011, 01:38 AM

11,798 posts, read 25,185,132 times
You are right, it is a heartbreaking story. Poor kitty. That is simply terrible. But thanks to you, and to the vet.

Old 10-08-2011, 01:25 PM

2,873 posts, read 5,851,244 times
We had an owner rush their cat in one night- this 19 year old, deaf kitty was sitting on the sidewalk in front of the house when she was mauled by a dog. Her chest cavity had been punctured, and her wounds were too serious.

I just kept thinking how easily that could have been avoided, if both the owner of the cat and the owner of the dog had been in control of their animals.

Old 10-08-2011, 08:02 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,278,987 times
In all fairness, though; some cats are escape artists and run outside despite how hard we try to keep them in.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats