Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2009, 10:01 PM

80 posts, read 688,071 times

Advertisements

I am ever in search of a good automatic litter box. I have used Littermaid, Litter Robot, Scoop Free, etc, but none I am completely happy with. Does anybody use Cat Genie? This seems promising from their website but I'd really rather get real reviews before I spend a large sum of money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2009, 06:34 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,424,010 times
Have read about it and it is often talked of on the cat forums, but never have heard of any one actually buying one. It is a huge amt. of $ to spend, if the cat decided he doesn't like it. And not everyone has the space in a bathroom to stub this thing in. Personally, I'd rather not have it in one of my bathrooms. Let us know if you decide to take the leap...I'd be interested in knowing how it turns out.

Old 09-23-2013, 07:37 AM

5,245 posts, read 16,431,350 times
It's been about four years................ Has anyone bought one of these? My cats are each 16 years old and have decided they don't want to use a litter box anymore. :/

Old 09-23-2013, 02:00 PM

1,134 posts, read 2,238,432 times
I'm guessing the cats are ok? I considered the Cat Genie although I live in an apartment I thought I'd give it a try but you might want to check out the reviews on Amazon. Have you tried replacing the litter box? Sometimes the plastic becomes worn and no amount of scrubbing will remove the odor - as far as kitty is concerned that is.

Old 09-23-2013, 05:26 PM

1,137 posts, read 1,392,231 times
If the odor of the old litter trays is actually part of the problem, a cheap way to change things up would be Petco's trays made from bagasse, which is the fibrous mass of stuff that's left over after sugar cane is processed. They are smaller than standard trays so work well as liners, but are also more than sturdy enough to serve as stand-alone trays. We first tried them when we got three new kittens, and they were a big success. Easy to scoop and clean, and after six to eight weeks or so, you can just smash them up and toss them into the compost pile for a completely fresh start. No accumulation of anything. We have three older cats as well and a total of nine active litter trays. I had been cleaning all of those out the old fashioned way for a lot of years (including a bleach-and-rinse cycle), but these "paper" ones were so much easier to deal with, we just put everybody on them.

There are meanwhile a million tricks for cats who won't use the box anymore. The only one that has ever done any good for us was to replace the litter with a bunch of newspaper strips torn an inch or so wide and pretty much a full page long. Once the cat started using that, we started adding litter a little at a time until it was finally just litter and no newspaper anymore. End of problem, but that cat was only about four years old at the time. The 17-year old with kidney issues never did go back to the box once she quit. She just kept using a wool rug she liked until she died. Ruined the rug of course and the hardwood floor beneath it. After she was gone, we replaced the rug and later refinished the floor as part of a remodeling. It all looks fine these days.

Old 09-23-2013, 05:43 PM

1,780 posts, read 3,932,096 times
One of my offspring has a Cat Genie and they like it very much. It is plumbed into the laundry room area and seems to work just fine.

One of the cats goes in there to hang out after it runs its cleaning cycle because it's warm in there after the dry cycle!

Old 09-24-2013, 07:22 PM

218 posts, read 544,525 times
My husband sent me those two words - cat. genie. I think he wants one. As he is the litter box changer, I can completely understand why. Didn't realize tho' that it has to be plumbed tho'! Seems complicated.

Old 09-27-2013, 04:54 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,580,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
It's been about four years................ Has anyone bought one of these? My cats are each 16 years old and have decided they don't want to use a litter box anymore. :/
Cats don't just 'decide' not to use the litter box. There is a reaon, and it's up to you to figure out what the reason is.

The first step is check ups, with blood work and urinalysis at the vet.

Then, consider the litter. Has it changed? Maybe you are still buying the same thing but the manufacturer has done something different to it.

Perhaps you need lower sided boxes. Older cats can get arthritis which make it difficult to get into and out of the box. Get boxes that the cat simply has to step into.

The location of the boxes. If the boxes are hidden away somewhere, like down stairs, again, age and arthritis may make it too difficult for the cats to get to the boxes. Bring them upstairs, and keep the low sided boxes on the level of the house where the cats spend most of their time, in a place that is easy for them to get to.

Be sure to keep the boxes clean. Scoop at least twice a day, depending on how many boxes you have. If you have only one box, add at least one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats