Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 03:20 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,995,469 times

Advertisements

My (indoor-only) cats don't wear collars. I'm paranoid they'll manage to hang themselves. They're chipped and none are door dashers. None show any sign they want to get outside. They have their 5X8X6' outdoor screened area and seem very happy with that. They'll soon have a mostly open Florida room. A room with jalousie windows and a lot of tropical plants plus a large cat-tree from Petco. I'll have a sofa, end-table with lamp and bookcase. Of course the cats will share the sofa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2011, 03:25 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,995,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParallelJJCat View Post
She also got her lower jaw caught in it once, which could have been even worse.
This happened to my very first cat, TommyKat. To remove it, my father had to get a cutter to cut the collar. Poor cats mouth was bleeding. He was panicking and clawing the collar and scratching himself. I was only 11 and very upset. I blamed myself and had a good cry no matter what my parents said. That was the last cat collar I ever used.

Old 10-17-2011, 04:20 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,660,570 times
Don't the breakaway collars prevent some of those issues? Of course, this is also very slightly less effective should the cat actually get out (since it could come off at some point).

Don't count too much on microchip. It's definitely a good idea, but I've seen plenty of stories of places where animal control won't bother to dig out the chip scanning machine and where holding periods might be nonexistent....

Old 10-17-2011, 05:19 PM

19 posts, read 45,568 times
My cat that just passed away wore a slide on collar tags from these guys Boomerang Tags

My current kitty lost his because he always breaks free of the breakaway collars and is currently wearing a small leather one and the tag just doesn't quite fit on it. I'll probably re-order adjustable one because I'm really impressed with the way the quality of these tags.

Old 10-17-2011, 05:27 PM

1,142 posts, read 2,132,764 times
i have 2 indoor cats so they do not wear a collar or tags however they are microchipped - you can purchase very inexpensive cat collars at walmart they have a breakaway feature should the collar become hung up on something - the collars have no bells or anything that makes noise and you can have your cat microchipped - the cat i adopted in january from a cat rescue was microchipped which saved her life - she was adopted out from this shelter to a couple - the couple was told if anything happens that you cant not keep the cat to bring her back since they are a no kill shelter - the couple took the cat to a kill shelter across state - that shelter looked to see if she was microchipped and she was - they contacted the no kill shelter which drove across state to pick her up and one day i showed up to adopter her - i believe most shelters pounds etc will check for a microchip so the pet can be returned to the owners

Old 10-17-2011, 08:52 PM

2,873 posts, read 5,852,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Don't the breakaway collars prevent some of those issues? Of course, this is also very slightly less effective should the cat actually get out (since it could come off at some point).

Don't count too much on microchip. It's definitely a good idea, but I've seen plenty of stories of places where animal control won't bother to dig out the chip scanning machine and where holding periods might be nonexistent....
Heather's collar were the breakaways. We tried both the type that has an elastic section and the type that just pulls apart with enough pressure, and she got hung up with both of them.

As an aside, an issue with microchips is that not all scanners can read all chips. There are 'universal' scanners, but they cost more and your local shelter may or may not have them. Some shelters also don't train the staff properly how to use them. The chip can migrate, so it isn't enough to just scan across the back- they need to run it down along the shoulders and legs, even around to the chest.

I kind of regret not tattooing our cats when they were under to be spayed and neutered, but even that has issues- you need to make sure you keep the area shaved.

Every method has its drawbacks.

Old 10-18-2011, 07:23 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,660,570 times
If only there were a single ideal solution for every problem!

Old 10-18-2011, 12:25 PM

2,873 posts, read 5,852,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
If only there were a single ideal solution for every problem!
Knowing my paranoid self, if I had a real door dasher I'd probably have them tattooed, chipped with two different kinds of microship, two collars (got to have a back up), a GPS unit...

At the end of the day, the cat would be too burdened with equipment to make a dash at all!

Old 10-18-2011, 06:57 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,580,966 times
My gang do not wear collars.

I think the jingling of tags would be very irritating to the cat, so I am glad to know there are other options for people who put collars and tags on their cats, and I abhor collars with bells on them for the same reason.

Please, anyone with a cat wearing a collar with a bell, take the bell off. (and use those tag silencers for the tags!)

For door dashers I installed an 18 inch tall window screen at the bottom of my outside door to help stop door dashers. I don't have any door dashers now, but the screen is still there, it's on hinges in case I need to open it, but you'd be surprised how quickly you get in the habit of stepping over it. Yes, a cat can jump over the screen, but for some reason (perhaps since an indoor cat is used to having a screen in front of her face), many don't, at least not at first, and it gives you that extra second or two to snatch her up.

Old 10-18-2011, 07:41 PM

41,961 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Checkers wears a bell and Cookie does not. He'd probably drive her insane with his pouncing and chasing if she didn't have some warning. Her little collar tag only jingles when she's running or scratching her neck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats