Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2007, 09:59 AM

283 posts, read 1,384,238 times

Advertisements

hi,

my cat is 7yrs old and for over a year he has stopped using his litter box. The litter box is clean so he shouldn't be complaining. Rather he uses the dining room as his bathroom. I don't know how to get him to stop. do any of you know what is the best way for him to start using the litter box?
Ya know I even tried beating him up to get him to stop so beatings aren't an option
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2007, 03:41 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,814,222 times
First get a good enzyme cleaner for where he has already gone. Then try moving the litter box into the dining room to get him to use it again. Once he's established back into the litter box, move it gradually to where you want it. If you have a two story or more house you really need a litter box on all levels because cats will be lazy and not go find the box if it's upstairs or down. Good luck.

Old 06-23-2007, 04:43 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,689,797 times
Is your cat neutered?
Make sure your cat is in good health and that nothing else is going on.

Have you changed litter at any time? He may not like the feel of the granules under his feet. If you changed litter, go back to what you used to use. If you haven't changed litter at all, try getting a finer litter (smaller granules), maybe the clumping kind. Also, maybe he doesn't like the scent, if your litter is scented.

Just some ideas to consider.

Old 06-23-2007, 04:59 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,187,952 times
Has anything changed in your house? My cat pee'd on my bed when I went out of town, she also pee'd on my son's clothes because he was the one there with her. She will still do things like that if something changes, like new dog in the house. Has nothing to do with the litter box, but that is a good place to start if you changed the type of litter. The other thing is if they have bladder infection that can affect where they go to the bathroom.

Old 06-23-2007, 05:05 PM

283 posts, read 1,384,238 times
Actually this is a lot of good advice. I never really payed attention to what litter I was buying. But that could be just the problem. He's also neutered and in good health. My house interiorly has stayed the same. But I am going it is something to do with the litter.

Old 06-24-2007, 06:50 PM

1,913 posts, read 8,906,808 times
Quote:
Make sure your cat is in good health and that nothing else is going on.

That's what I would suggest also. Rule out a urinary tract infection.
Good luck to you and kitty...

Old 10-25-2011, 10:16 PM

2,319 posts, read 4,801,738 times
I am resurrecting this old thread because our cat has started this. We moved six months ago, and our youngest (6 years old) started pooing all around the apartment. We assumed it was because he was unhappy/scared/marking. It largely stopped when I closed off his favorite pooing room, but this week he started up again. Is it possible he's just gotten lazy and won't go to the basement to poop? It's super-gross so I need to stop it.

About the litter, I will ask my husband in the a.m. He's been buying it.

In the meantime, what is a good enzyme wash for the carpets?

Old 10-26-2011, 05:45 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,564,191 times
Cats avoid litter boxes for specific reasons, none of which are laziness

Are the boxes kept clean? Many cats will not use a dirty litter box. What's it like in the basement? Is it dark, cold, or damp?

Boxes should be in a comfortable low traffic area, and scooped at least twice daily.

You need and enzymatic cleaner, enzymatic means "breaks down bacteria", which completely removes the smell, since the cat can still smell it after normal cleaning. You have to really soak the spots, so I've read.

Cat attract litter can help with retraining.

Last edited by catsmom21; 10-26-2011 at 05:56 AM..

Old 10-26-2011, 05:57 AM

3,401 posts, read 13,370,009 times
Here here! Move the litter box (or a secondary one, even better) into the dining room.

I have had cats that would go in my room, no matter how clean their box was. I got fed up with it and moved a litter box by one of the walls between my dressers. I loathed it being there - but the cats thought it was the best thing since sliced bread.

Old 10-26-2011, 05:59 AM

2,319 posts, read 4,801,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Cats avoid litter boxes for specific reasons, none of which are laziness

Are the boxes kept clean? Many cats will not use a dirty litter box. What's it like in the basement? Is it dark, cold, or damp?

Boxes should be in a comfortable low traffic area, and scooped at least twice daily.

You need and enzymatic cleaner, enzymatic means "breaks down bacteria", which completely removes the smell, since the cat can still smell it after normal cleaning. You have to really soak the spots, so I've read.

Cat attract litter can help with retraining.
He's a very neurotic cat. I didn't know that when I brought him home, but I love him. This pooping thing has gotten out of control just this week. I'm guessing hubby changed the littler brand. We leave them home to go on short overnight trips, and he's never done this so I don't think it's dirty litter (we clean it everyday though). But, my little man is nuts so who knows?

Thanks for the advice and info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats