Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2011, 07:14 PM

5,331 posts, read 8,540,802 times

Advertisements

I've recently started letting my cat into my bedroom at night, but I am a very light sleeper and he starts waking me up much earlier than I would like.

Now that its cold out, I worry about how warm I should keep the rest of the house if I keep my bedroom door closed at night.

Would mid-50's be OK? He is a long-haired Norwegian Forest cat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2011, 09:13 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,352,792 times
Jasper burrows in blankets, I turn the heat off at night and during the day. I think your cat will be fine. Animals just curl up, and adapt. If you are worried, get an electic heating blanket or pad, they turn off on a timer, so you could turn it on for your cat at night, and he could cuddle up if he wanted. Jasper sleeps on my electric blanket.

Old 10-29-2011, 09:23 PM

5,331 posts, read 8,540,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Jasper burrows in blankets, I turn the heat off at night and during the day. I think your cat will be fine. Animals just curl up, and adapt. If you are worried, get an electic heating blanket or pad, they turn off on a timer, so you could turn it on for your cat at night, and he could cuddle up if he wanted. Jasper sleeps on my electric blanket.
ohh..good idea about the heating pad! I saw those at the pet store recently. That would make me feel better if he had that to sleep on since I am going to boot him out of the bedroom.

I realize I spoil the h*ck out of my cat. He is a male but I refer to him as the "pampered princess" of the house. I would love to be reincarnated and live the life he leads.

Old 10-29-2011, 09:32 PM

2,319 posts, read 4,801,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E E View Post
ohh..good idea about the heating pad! I saw those at the pet store recently. That would make me feel better if he had that to sleep on since I am going to boot him out of the bedroom.

I realize I spoil the h*ck out of my cat. He is a male but I refer to him as the "pampered princess" of the house. I would love to be reincarnated and live the life he leads.
Shoot, I heard that! My cats are little kings around here. Ridiculous!

I agree about the blankets. Our boys snuggle in little cat beds, but it's only in the low 60's at night here. I don't think I'm brave enough to turn off the heat at night during the winters here in Michigan!

Old 10-30-2011, 12:01 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,352,792 times
Yes, Jasper leads the life of a king, alas, who is not allowed outside. But he has a bird window. And an electric blanket. I should live as good as him.

Old 10-30-2011, 12:33 AM

15,128 posts, read 32,313,804 times
Yes, Snickers went from being a pauper to a king. He sleeps on my electric blanket when it's cold, and sometimes gets underneath it. He has his own comforter with baby blankets - two have teddy bears, and two have Winnie the Pooh on them. Plus he also has several cat windows where he basks in the sun, and watches the hummingbirds fly by his face.

He's so neglected.

Old 10-30-2011, 07:05 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,987,632 times
Quote:
I've recently started letting my cat into my bedroom at night, but I am a very light sleeper and he starts waking me up much earlier than I would like.

Now that its cold out, I worry about how warm I should keep the rest of the house if I keep my bedroom door closed at night.

Would mid-50's be OK? He is a long-haired Norwegian Forest cat.
Normal short hair cats live outdoors through some bitter cold weather so your cat should do fine in 50F temperatures. Right now our cats are outside in their safe porch at the campground with us. It's 35F outside.

Old 10-30-2011, 07:17 AM

1,595 posts, read 2,763,636 times
I will never ever turn the heat off during the winter. It could freeze the pipes and end up cost thousands of dollars to replace them when they crack.

IMO indoor cats are used to having the heat on so I don't care to make it less for them than I would for myself. Even if they have fur to wear they still get cold. I have a down comforter I like to wrap up so they can sleep on it and have the top hover over them while inside it. That way they don't sleep on my sheets. It's like a big old' igloo for them. Oh and I also like to keep one on the floor next to the heater so they can choose to sleep next to. An electric blanket is a great idea I have to try that I bet is much cheaper than keeping the heat at least 68 for them all day, except on cold days when the pipes can freeze. I learned a very expensive lesson years ago and it wasn't even me who was stupid enough to turn the heat off.

Old 10-30-2011, 07:26 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,420,607 times
Quote:
I would love to be reincarnated and live the life he leads.
Yes! I've said for a long time, if there's such a thing as reincarnation I want to come back as a pampered housecat. I've heard others say that too. I have dogs too, but I've never been as envious of their lives somehow, or heard anyone else say they want to come back as one. Funny how the kittie's life (the lucky ones anyway) is so appealing.

Old 10-30-2011, 09:23 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,229,188 times
I have it at 63 in the house, which is comfortable for me. At the moment I have 3 cats who don't particularly care for each other all curled up around the space heater......

I have 1 senior and 1 geriatric so I don't know if that makes a difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats