Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 07:46 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,004,856 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I usually am on the city links, but I thought I would pop in here to ask for help.

We have two cats, a male and female, both spayed-neutered. They are both one, but the male we adopted later and they fight quite badly - but don't hurt each other, just hissing, chasing, etc.

Anyhow, one of them, I think the female, is just peeing everywhere and it's really upsetting. She tends to pick piles of clothes. However, she did this to some extent even before we adopted the second cat in July so I can't really say it is just related to stress.

So, I'm wondering:

o why she might be doing this, any tips, and
o well, is there anything on the market to keep her away from specific things, like my nice rugs (sob) - one of them is an off-white wool (Pottery Barn Kids) and is just getting destroyed.

thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2007, 08:02 AM

324 posts, read 1,286,711 times
Feliway could help, it works with some cats (not all) to help calm them by releasing artificial feline hormones into the air that the cats recognize as their own. It sounds like she never was fully adjusted if she was peeing before the new addition but now with the new cat it might just make it worse. You might keep them separate while using the feliway and reintroduce them over a period of a couple weeks. Also make sure there are litter boxes for each cat at the minimum. It is often said you should have n+1 litter boxes, so in your case you should have 3 but 2 minimum. You can also start putting little boxes in the places she tends to pee in hopes of redirecting he back to using the box. Then you can move the boxes slowly to better areas of the house.

Trying googling "cat inappropriate peeing" for more info. If all else fails and this is a stress related thing then you could talk to your vet about medication.

Old 11-14-2007, 08:14 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,004,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solarity View Post
Feliway could help, it works with some cats (not all) to help calm them by releasing artificial feline hormones into the air that the cats recognize as their own. It sounds like she never was fully adjusted if she was peeing before the new addition but now with the new cat it might just make it worse. You might keep them separate while using the feliway and reintroduce them over a period of a couple weeks. Also make sure there are litter boxes for each cat at the minimum. It is often said you should have n+1 litter boxes, so in your case you should have 3 but 2 minimum. You can also start putting little boxes in the places she tends to pee in hopes of redirecting he back to using the box. Then you can move the boxes slowly to better areas of the house.

Trying googling "cat inappropriate peeing" for more info. If all else fails and this is a stress related thing then you could talk to your vet about medication.
Awesome ... I will try all of that. It's a long story, but we had a crazy golden retriever puppy who would (affectionately) chase her around. Now I have our sweet submissive 8 year old golden and my "husband" has the crazy golden (I would never give up a pet). So she's never really had a break.

Old 11-23-2007, 03:40 AM

2,178 posts, read 9,584,926 times
Sounds like she is just stressed but I would have her checked by the vet to make sure there is nothing physcial going on since that is the only way they have to tell us something is wrong. Then, if she checks out ok, it is time to try some other things. Like the person said, I would separate them, try cleaning the litter box more often, have you tried other brands of litter? Sometimes it is as simple as they don't like the brand you buy. I have 4 cats and have 4 boxes for them but they mainly only use ONE! I had 5 but since it never got used, I put it away.

Your kitty could just need retraining and I would also try shutting her in a small room like a bathroom with food, water, a box and place to sleep. These are very smart little creatures and they do develope "habits". If you are using a covered box, try giving her a uncovered one.. Just don't give up on her, keep trying until you find something thsat works.

I have a CH kitty that goes outside the box but when I brought her home, it was for life so I buy pee pads to put down for her and she uses those without hestiation.

Old 11-24-2007, 05:23 AM

578 posts, read 2,530,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura707 View Post
Sounds like she is just stressed but I would have her checked by the vet to make sure there is nothing physcial going on since that is the only way they have to tell us something is wrong. Then, if she checks out ok, it is time to try some other things. Like the person said, I would separate them, try cleaning the litter box more often, have you tried other brands of litter? Sometimes it is as simple as they don't like the brand you buy. I have 4 cats and have 4 boxes for them but they mainly only use ONE! I had 5 but since it never got used, I put it away.

Your kitty could just need retraining and I would also try shutting her in a small room like a bathroom with food, water, a box and place to sleep. These are very smart little creatures and they do develope "habits". If you are using a covered box, try giving her a uncovered one.. Just don't give up on her, keep trying until you find something thsat works.

I have a CH kitty that goes outside the box but when I brought her home, it was for life so I buy pee pads to put down for her and she uses those without hestiation.
The reasons 'why' they start this offensive behavior is NOT FOR HUMANS to know, eh? yrs. ago my neutered male started this about the age of 8yrs. Doctor did tests, gave pills, NOTHING changed. Therefore, when he saw some cat outside the window he would mark, then one night my suit for work fell off the hanger, (*unbeknownst to me he got it). But it had dried, and I put it on, went to work, HOWEVER when I started to 'heat up' the body heat had activated the cat p*ss smell. OMG, that was a hard decision; but I had him put to sleep that week! Sorry to say, I dont buy a new sofa, wardrobe, carpeting because a stupid cat wants to play psychological games with me. Sorry and I was too chicken to take him, but It had to be done. One of life's hard decisions.

Old 11-24-2007, 02:05 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,047,481 times
I had a female cat that would pee all over the couch & in the laundry room.I was constantly cleaning it up.This went on for a few yrs.She had a behavor problem.My friend took her in.

Old 11-25-2007, 02:29 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,958,053 times
Inappropriate Elimination (peeing or pooping outside the cat box) can be down to several factors. As listed previously, it could just be behavioral and she needs to be retrained. You do need to make sure you have a box for every cat (and a spare if possible) and that the litter is deep enough and cleaned/scooped *at least* once a day. Also, the box may not be big enough for her to use without stepping in a mess, or may not be located in quiet enough area. Cats often feel vulnerable when going, so you may want to either add a hood the box, or remove it if you already have one so she can see if your other cat is about to "attack" her.

In addition to Feliway for relaxing aromatherpay, you can also treat her usuall crime scenes with a citrus or bitter apple sprays -- cats hate both these smells and it will deter her from using the laundry basket, etc. as her potty.

But there are also several medical reasons she may be going outside the box. Chronic renal failure, bladder infection, diabetes are only a few. I would suggest that you take both cats into the vet ASAP and have a full chem panel done as well as urine specific gravity and a urine culture.

Old 12-03-2007, 11:51 AM

1,363 posts, read 5,932,211 times
If there's nothing physically wrong with the cat, and it's a behavioral problem, you can talk to your vet about kitty prozac. I not joking. LOL. My cat was on it after he started going anywhere but the litter box. Nothing wrong with him and we traced it back to when we fostered a pregnant cat and then her kittens for 6 weeks until they were adopted. We were in an apartment at the time, so Keller had gotten "mad" at us apparently and ever since then he would not use his box. Feliaway didn't work, retraining didn't work, and I did not want to put him down for it or give him up (who would want an overweight, deaf cat who won't use the box) so we tried the prozac. Worked like a charm.

Old 01-04-2008, 08:26 PM

71 posts, read 332,898 times
I have a male cat, about a year and a half in age. He is not fixed and sprays and it smells really bad. Would getting him fixed solve the problem or will this continue after we get him fixed?? Any suggestions on how to reslove this issue? Thanks

Old 01-05-2008, 05:16 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,233,065 times
To Goldensmom, have your cat checked for diabetes. My 10 yo cat did the same thing and come to find out she was diabetic.

To Formerstocktonian

Male cats will spray to mark their territory. Having him neutered will help with this plus make him a better pet and he won't be out cattin around and getting into fights.
You should clean the areas well before you bring him home so there won't be any scent left there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats