Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 05:55 PM

2,113 posts, read 2,406,823 times

Advertisements

To me, they are such elegant, beautiful animals. I adopted two black kittens 6 years ago. To be fair they chose me, really. Then a friend brought another kitten, a tabby, to my house because he needed a place to keep it overnight before taking it to the shelter the next morning. She was so friendly, and the male kitten took such a liking to her, that I figured, "What's one more?" So then there were three.

I have always been a cat person, but these are some of the nicest, most loving cats I have ever known. I love the feeling of a cat in my lap. They are loving, but not overly needy. Their hi-jinks are so amusing. And the kitty purr - if those ambient soothing sound machines are missing anything from their sound loops, it would have to be the kitty purr.

Bringing these animals into my life has to be one of the best decisions that I've ever made.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2012, 06:02 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,685,123 times
Cause of straight "Luv".

Old 01-12-2012, 09:29 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,256,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFoulke View Post
OK, you made me chuckle!!! We have 24 of the little darlings - and I overheard some of "them" talking just last night and they were wondering the same thing: "Why do we have humans? Sure, they feed us and love us and make sure we get medicine when we're sick. You know, if they'd just get out of the way, we could hunt our own food and sleep in the woods - nah, I think they need us too much. They'd never let us go. Who would make mom clean the house every single day, or play with all those stupid toys they bring home? Besides, who would take care of them - they're so helpless - they'd probably sleep till like, 6:30 or so if we weren't here to wake em' up every morning." So there you have it - they have us, not the other way around. I think we belong to a mutual need society - cats are smart, cute, fun, and daggone it, we just love em'. Thanks for the chuckle......
Yay! Someone with more cats than me!

I have to admit that I, at times, hesitate to mention how many cats I have because it tends to conjure up an image of a bunch of inbred cats, all of them reproducing at least once a year, all of them living short lives because of illness and neglect, and that couldn't be further from the truth.

There isn't a non-altered cat on the place and they pretty much own the house - well, they do have to share it with the dogs. The two humans who live here are really pretty insignificant.

I have always had cats, although growing up, my father limited it to one, on occasion we had two. The first cat that I can vaguely remember was when we lived in Hawaii when I was around four. My father was in the Navy and he was stationed in Hawaii twice - the first time when I was born and the second time, which I mentioned above. I had my "own" cat, named "Butterfly" because of her big ears, and when we had to return to the states, I remember being devastated because she could not come with us and had to be left with a neighbor. For many years, my two older brothers, when they wanted to inflict the most damage on me, would, in kind of a sing-song voice, say, "Poor Butterfly." That really went on for a lot of years.

The next cat that I remember was "Smokey." My mother saw him, a tiny kitten, by the side of the road on a visit to my grandparent's house and made my father stop. He was a feral little thing, who adored my mother, and was part of our family for around twelve years. It was a sad day when he had to be put to sleep.

Even way back then (late 50's, early 60's), my parents believed in spaying and neutering. Smokey was neutered, as well as our English Setter, Gypsy (although she did have one litter of puppies, which selling them proved to be an extremely traumatic event for all of us and she was spayed shortly afterward).

So, I guess I have cats because I have always had cats and just don't know any better.

Old 01-12-2012, 11:47 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,189,686 times
After all these cats spread out over so many years, my universe just wouldn't be right without at least one cat. As swgirl926 stated, they are such beautiful and elegant animals. And also as she did, I took on two black cats, only in my case they were strays and it was 16 years ago. One of them is still going strong at about 17 years of age, since they were about 9 months old when I found them (or they found me).

Old 01-12-2012, 11:50 PM

4,042 posts, read 3,529,862 times
We have one siamese to either show us the insects or to catch them. She still does a pretty good job and is over eight years old. We care well for her and love her, but she, too has a job.

Old 01-12-2012, 11:51 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
cats prevent me from assuming i am the center of the universe. thank u odie, ill serve your tuna fish now.

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 01-13-2012 at 12:45 AM..

Old 01-13-2012, 12:15 AM

239 posts, read 520,690 times
We have one cat that we love dearly. She is five years old and her becoming our cat was a gradual process. She belonged to a neighbor who had many cats and little by little she just spent more time at our house. Eventually, we asked the neighbor if we could have her and she was happy to give her to us.

I can't imagine and don't even want to think about life without her. She is such a big part of our life. We love dogs, too, but I think cats are a lot easier and more independent. Dogs seem more needy and you do have to walk them. Cats are more my speed.

Old 01-13-2012, 01:59 AM

1,870 posts, read 2,390,167 times
As was mentioned, cats are beautiful. I really don't see too many ugly kitties. And cats just carry themselves well.. full of savvy.

Old 01-13-2012, 04:55 AM

130 posts, read 426,454 times
My precious boy just showed up one day and it was love at first sight for me. He was 3 pounds of fur and bones, only 8 weeks old and so afraid of humans and everything in general. I was little afraid of felines and didn't have any experience with any animals.

I went to the library to learn about how to take care of him and 14 years later, I learned he's been the one taking care of me. He's even more precious than I could imagine. He has been such a blessing in my life, been here with me through so many trials and tribulations and I thank him everyday for allowing me the privilege. No matter what type of day, he always puts a smile on my face and joy in my heart.

Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened ~ Anatole France

Old 01-13-2012, 06:47 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,556,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
This is just to start some conversation...I have always had cats, my whole life, except for a year when Beau went away to school with my daughter.

Jasper pretty much just holds down the comforter...he is pretty useless, but he is good company none the less.

Why do we have cats?
Fro me, it started when my cat Merlin chose me at a shelter. Then, after training me to his standards, he instructed me to get a second cat.

So basically, I have cats due to kitty Karma.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats