Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2012, 08:26 PM

9 posts, read 40,723 times

Advertisements

Hi, if any one with Veterinary knowledge or personal experience can help me it would be greatly appreciated! My boyfriend and I took in 2 brother cats, Godric and Albus, about 6 months old from a friend who works for animal control. We brought them to get checked up and shots when they first came home but we never got them neutered because they had never sprayed and never had any aggression issues. They have been with us for about a year and we have to move from our apartment. We decided to get them neutered because we hadn't done it yet but also to help prevent them from possibly spraying in our new place.

So, we took them to a low cost spay/ neuter facility together and they came home the same day. The after care instructions said to keep them in their carriers until 8pm that night and to keep them to a small area so they don't run or try to climb stairs. We have a stairwell to the attic that has no door and there is literally nothing we could have put there to keep them out. They are masterminds of getting up there. So, we tried our best but they were freaking out trying to get up there so badly that I thought they would end up hurting themselves more, so I let them up. They stayed up there all night, not coming down at all for food or to use the litter box. Late that night we heard commotion up in the attic. The next day, they came down to eat and were acting strange. Godric, who was always the alpha cat was TERRIFIED of Albus. After they scarfed down their food, A attacked G. We didn't know what to do so we separated them, keeping G in our bedroom with us.

We inspected G to see if he had hurt himself at all and he was a bleeding a little from his incision. It didn't look like it had opened, but he definitely either hurt it running/ climbing or fighting with A. We have kept him in our bedroom ever since and his incision area definitely isn't bleeding anymore, although his testicles are larger that A's. Not red or even swollen, just bigger.

It has been a week since the surgery and we've been trying to let them interact a little bit everyday then end it before they could start a fight. Everything seemed to be going well and G was getting a little restless in the room so I let him out for a little bit, he took off running down the hall and A attacked him again. I don't know what to do at this point. It's been a whole week since the vet and they are still being weird. Both cats are 100% fine with me and my BF and seem not to even notice the other one is around in their small interactions but then out of the blue an attack happens again. My BF and I think that maybe since they have the cones on that they might not be able to groom themselves well enough to get the vet smell off of themselves. Or, could the cones themselves be making them anxious enough to fight each other.

We just don't know what to do. Our new apartment is a studio and we won't be able to keep them separated forever. This is breaking my heart because they were so loving with each other before the surgery and I cannot bear them being this way forever.

Any advice or personal experiences like this would be amazing, thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2012, 08:36 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times
I would personally call the vet who did the surgery. Would that be possible. I have a feeling it may be the cones and the medicine smells which are causing problems. I would try keeping them separated as much as possible even if it means in a carrier until the cones come off and if you take them back for recheck by vet.

I have 10 year old bubbas who play fight all the time. sometimes it sounds terrible and the fur really does fly but nobody gets hurt and they eventually settle down. Give them some time to heal and pick back up where they were.

Old 01-30-2012, 05:39 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,893,696 times
They smell new to each other now, and they aren't realizing that they are both the same cats they have previously lived with. I had a cat that did that every time either he or the other cats went to the vet. And with cones that make them look totally alien to one another. Also, your cats have just been through a very traumatic event, so everything combined is really freaking them out. I think in time your kitties will get used to each other again after they have healed. I wouldn't separate them entirely for long periods of time though, they need to get used to each other again. I am surprised by the cones, none of my cats have ever had to wear cones after being neutered. It's been a week for your cats to wear them, that's not right. Heck, I'd be fighting everyone if I was wearing a cone for a week!

Old 01-30-2012, 09:27 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,983,104 times
Default Cones? Elizabethan collars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsilletti View Post

We inspected G to see if he had hurt himself at all and he was a bleeding a little from his incision. It didn't look like it had opened, but he definitely either hurt it running/ climbing or fighting with A. We have kept him in our bedroom ever since and his incision area definitely isn't bleeding anymore, although his testicles are larger that A's. Not red or even swollen, just bigger.

Any advice or personal experiences like this would be amazing, thank you!
Something is wrong here. They should not be bleeding at any time from the incision in the *******. There should be no swelling and I don't know of any cats that needed a cone after surgery. I would take them to another vet and see what the real problem is. This doesn't sound right at all....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats