Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 09:09 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,078,069 times

Advertisements

My 2 grown children grew up with cats from day one but after being away at college for 4 months, they came home and suffered terribly with cat allergies. I've heard others say the same thing. now when they visit we greet them at the door with allergy pills and a big smile.

The truth about cat allergies - CBS News Video
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2012, 09:29 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,991,242 times
Too bad it's not text. I despise it when a video automatically loads and starts to play. Not all of us have unlimited services. So what was the truth for those of us with limited Gigs and slow connections?

Old 02-20-2012, 09:50 AM

2,888 posts, read 6,538,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
My 2 grown children grew up with cats from day one but after being away at college for 4 months, they came home and suffered terribly with cat allergies. I've heard others say the same thing. now when they visit we greet them at the door with allergy pills and a big smile.

The truth about cat allergies - CBS News Video
I had problems growing up - but seemed to outgrow them.

Old 02-20-2012, 10:56 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,360,870 times
I had the same thing happen to me, but just suffered thru it. I have a cat, so, I have a stuffy nose, I don't brush him...

Old 02-20-2012, 02:06 PM

575 posts, read 1,996,290 times
Some cats bother me - some don't. My aunt used to have a cat that tore me up when we would visit! I have four cats and hardly any trouble. One will give me a bit of problems now and again but she hardly ever chooses to sleep in our bed.

I do suffer from terrible (other) allergies and my father was deathly allergic to cats - I always assumed I couldn't' have one as a kid. I never thought I could have 4 including my long haired Siberian - but we are a happy cat family

Old 02-20-2012, 02:57 PM

3,712 posts, read 11,035,160 times
no idea what it said: I tried to play it, but got no sound (yes I checked the sound levels on both my computer and the video). What I have found with friends and a husband who have had cat allergies, is that constant exposure tends to mitigate the reaction. Basically, suffer through at first with antihistamines for a while and then you build a tolerance to that/those specific cats. You may have trouble with other cats, but at least the ones in your own house are usually ok. Of course there are always people who are deathly allergic and shouldn't try this, but I've seen a number of friends acclimate to their own cats, and my husband who is allergic with asthma has no trouble with our own - heck, he'll even bury his face in their sides and enjoys it when one of them sleeps on top of his head on his pillow! The only pet he grew up with was a goat - so he came to cats as an adult.

Old 02-21-2012, 12:42 PM

2,087 posts, read 4,285,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
Too bad it's not text. I despise it when a video automatically loads and starts to play. Not all of us have unlimited services. So what was the truth for those of us with limited Gigs and slow connections?
What was in the video, in no particular order: it was brief

If you get your first cat when you're an adult, 85% increase risk of allergies.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Keep cats out of your bedroom.
Allergy shots or medication.
Bathe cat often.
Air purifiers/ HEPA filters. (They didn't say "with" HEPA filters)?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Females, long haired, and light colored cats may give off fewer allergens.

Allergen is in the saliva, skin glands and urinary tract.

Old 02-21-2012, 01:24 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,655,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leanansidhex View Post
What was in the video, in no particular order: it was brief

If you get your first cat when you're an adult, 85% increase risk of allergies.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Keep cats out of your bedroom.
Allergy shots or medication.
Bathe cat often.
Air purifiers/ HEPA filters. (They didn't say "with" HEPA filters)?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Females, long haired, and light colored cats may give off fewer allergens.

Allergen is in the saliva, skin glands and urinary tract.
Interesting. I did all these things for a while. Except bathe the cat; I really don't think that's a good idea for a lot of reasons. I think Amber has been bathed once in her whole life.

Anyway, I've never tested positive for cat allergy, not even after I got a cat. Now granted the last test was over 10 years ago, so I suppose in theory it could have changed. But I kept Amber out of the bedroom and used HEPA filters because of...dust mite allergy. Cats play a role in dust mite allergies; dust mites live on your cats! Not only that, there are "indoor" and "outdoor" dust mites, and "outdoor" dust mites live on cats even if they never go outside. Crazy huh? I'm allergic to both but if I remember right more allergic to "outdoor" mites. I do a some other things for that allergy, encased my mattress and pillows, wash the sheets in hot water, etc. It's a year-round thing, and how I feel ebbs and flows a bit. I did shots for a while (that being the third time, with a couple of courses back when I was a kid) but stopped. Dust and dust mites has been a constant allergy over that time, and the shots have never really done much that I know of for that one. (I did test positive for pollens in my youth and did not test positive for those in my more recent test.) I'm also allergic to molds. I take OTC Zyrtec equivalent, the best acting thing there's ever been as far as I'm concerned, though unlike the other modern ones it has a bit of drowsy effect. But that's the tradeoff for it working so well; Claritin and Allegra were pretty useless.

It's pretty funny to hear that light colored and long haired may give off fewer allergens. Amber is fairly dark colored and short haired, though she is female. I've often wondered if longer haired cats affect me more because of one house I visit (has a longer haired cat; the two cats are both female and light colored) and because of the shelter. Now in the shelter it could be the male cats I guess. Maybe it's all back to the dust mites though. The shelter would have a high concentration, and so might the house I visit.

I still have a HEPA filter running all the time in the main room of my house, and I run one in the bedroom on high in early evening, then kick it to low. And I keep the bedroom closed during the day. But while sleeping I now leave the door open. Amber really only comes in to visit while we're still awake. Once asleep, she often never comes back and I don't see her until morning. Or else I sleep VERY soundly some nights and don't feel her jump up.

Anyway, if you're allergic to dust mites, even if you're not allergic to cats, they will likely still affect you.

Old 02-21-2012, 02:22 PM

2,087 posts, read 4,285,697 times
Cats can be allergic to dust mites too.

How to Tell If Your Cat Is Allergic to Dust Mites - VetInfo

Old 02-21-2012, 03:48 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,360,870 times
Just my luck, Jasper has short dark fur!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats