Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 07:29 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,420,868 times

Advertisements

Not all ragdolls are lap cats...but they do want to be close. ALWAYS touching! My Shelby loves to be held and I can hold her like a baby for hours....Harley never wants to be held for more than a few moments, but as soon as we sit, he is up lying next to you with a paw out to touch your leg or arm. Kaci is the same way....she will be a lapcat sometimes, but for the most part just wants to "touch".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2009, 07:45 AM

1,091 posts, read 3,592,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cskiwi View Post
Does anyone have a Ragdoll cat, and are they as wonderful and docile as I hear?

I'm not so sure that's a legitimate breed.
Apparently, the developer of this "breed", a woman named Ann Baker, took her cat Josephine to a lab at the University of Cali after Josephine was injured in a car accident in the 1960s.
After being treated at the U of C lab, Josephine (who was an ordinary, non-pedigreed cat) went on to later give birth to an exceptionally friendly litter of kittens. Ann Baker claimed this was the result of a "secret government genetic experiment" performed on josephine while she was at the U of C lab. Genetic experts deny this.
All ragdoll cats are descendants of this (non-pedigreed) cat, Josephine.
Baker, a professional cat breeder, went on to get other breeders onboard with this idea, then trademarked the term "ragdoll cat" and set up her own registry, to enforce stringent standards on anyone who wanted to breed or sell cats under that name.

I wouldn't pay any extra money for a cat that was supposed to be a "ragdoll".
It's all a scam.
There are so many sweet cats with gentle dispositions that need homes, that are available for free.
Why pay extra money for a silly scam like this?

Old 06-14-2009, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane72 View Post
I'm not so sure that's a legitimate breed.
Apparently, the developer of this "breed", a woman named Ann Baker, took her cat Josephine to a lab at the University of Cali after Josephine was injured in a car accident in the 1960s.
After being treated at the U of C lab, Josephine (who was an ordinary, non-pedigreed cat) went on to later give birth to an exceptionally friendly litter of kittens. Ann Baker claimed this was the result of a "secret government genetic experiment" performed on josephine while she was at the U of C lab. Genetic experts deny this.
All ragdoll cats are descendants of this (non-pedigreed) cat, Josephine.
Baker, a professional cat breeder, went on to get other breeders onboard with this idea, then trademarked the term "ragdoll cat" and set up her own registry, to enforce stringent standards on anyone who wanted to breed or sell cats under that name.

I wouldn't pay any extra money for a cat that was supposed to be a "ragdoll".
It's all a scam.
Of course they are legitimate breed. How do you think any breed started? They are recognized by CFA and TICA. Just google and more info than you could ever imagine will come up. Go to any cat show and you'll see them being showed.

Old 06-14-2009, 08:38 AM

One other thing I wanted to mention about Raggies is their gorgeous coats! They are much like a rabbits fur...very, very soft and thick. As they age, they grow thick manes and feathers. Your hand just disappears when you pet them! Of course, this all leads to wonderful "fur tornados" winging their way across your floors!

Old 06-14-2009, 08:44 AM

1,091 posts, read 3,592,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
Of course they are legitimate breed. How do you think any breed started? They are recognized by CFA and TICA. Just google and more info than you could ever imagine will come up. Go to any cat show and you'll see them being showed.

No, they are not.
The government and the University of California categorically denies that there was any "secret government genetic experiment" on cat breeder Ann Baker's non-pedigreed cat Josephine during the 1960s or at any other time.
Ann Baker refused to believe this, trademarked the term "ragdoll", and set up a registry.

There are many beautiful, affectionate, and loving non-pedigreed cats available for free.

Old 06-14-2009, 08:55 AM

Quote:
No, they are not.
The government and the University of California categorically denies that there was any "secret government genetic experiment" on cat breeder Ann Baker's non-pedigreed cat Josephine during the 1960s or at any other time.
Ann Baker refused to believe this, trademarked the term "ragdoll", and set up a registry.

There are many beautiful, affectionate, and loving non-pedigreed cats available for free.
Oh Please! Of course, Ann baker was an eccentric old woman who TRIED to pass all of this crap off. Of course there was no "secret experiments" That is not to say it is not a breed....In fact, in 2006, SUPREME CHAMPION Errol Flyn of Soulmates was CFA cat of the year. Someone better tell the million of breeders across the world Raggies are not legit!
I don't deny there are many, beautiful , affectionate and loving non-peds who need home...but don't bash a breed because of it. Do your homework!

Old 06-14-2009, 10:59 AM

672 posts, read 5,094,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
Oh Please! Of course, Ann baker was an eccentric old woman who TRIED to pass all of this crap off. Of course there was no "secret experiments" That is not to say it is not a breed....In fact, in 2006, SUPREME CHAMPION Errol Flyn of Soulmates was CFA cat of the year. Someone better tell the million of breeders across the world Raggies are not legit!
I don't deny there are many, beautiful , affectionate and loving non-peds who need home...but don't bash a breed because of it. Do your homework!
I agree. It is a legit breed, or else CFA and TICA would not have registered them and there would be no such thing as a breed standard for Ragdolls. The pedigree is proof.

I don't like when people throw that in my face either, that I should have adopted a cat instead of BUYING one. Maybe I wanted a cat with certain traits and fell in love with a specific breed. Should I not be allowed to buy one then?
It feels as if it's okay for people to buy dogs, but not okay to buy cats, because they are of lower rank (which they are not). People who want a Great Dane, would not like to end up with a Chiuaua. Why can't it be the same with cats?

Old 06-14-2009, 11:19 AM

Quote:
No, they are not.

Just a few of the many Grand Champion Ragdolls!

Ragdolls of America Group - CFA Ragdoll Breed Club - Grand Champions

Old 06-16-2009, 01:10 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times
who said Ragdolls don't shed.? That is BS. I have two 22 lb raggies and a "nonshedding" bichon so why am I using the vacuum cleaner at least twice a day. Anytime you just pet a raggie they shed a pile and we comb every day at least once. At our house cat hair is a condiment....

Old 06-16-2009, 01:13 PM

I give up...who said they don't shed? Using a Zoom Groom every other day or so, controls the hair tremendously. That...and buy a superior vacuum!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats