Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 11:23 PM

207 posts, read 535,814 times

Advertisements

Okay i know this sounds cruel but i thought when my dog dies i am considering getting a cat. I love my dog but i know if i get a cat she would not get along with it. I know one of my sister in-laws have a cat and i fell in love with it. I cannot remember what kind of cat is it the cat is very calm and i notice my sister inlaw doesn't have any sctraches on any furniture.
I don't get to see my sister in-law much.
So I was wondering what kind of cat that doesn't scratch any furniture. I have a nre home but I am gone for 12 hours and I know if i have one my mom won't have to tend to it. My mom can't stand cats.
I remember growing up my uncle had a big fluffy simese cat and if you don't like it the cat will come to you. But i dunno.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2013, 11:41 PM

16,489 posts, read 24,485,615 times
There is no certain cat breed that doesn't claw up furniture. Cats vary from one to another about how destructive they may be. It is a natural thing for a cat to want to sharpen its claws, unfortunately they often choose furniture. You will need to provide the cat with several things that they can do this on, like a cat tree, scratching posts etc. Part of this is also trying to train your cat what is acceptable and what isn't. Cats and dogs are very different personality wise. Cats have much more of a mind of their own than dogs, and dogs aim to please more than cats.

Old 03-05-2013, 07:55 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,100,559 times
So you are a young person who lives at home with your mother? and she doesn't like cats? and you are wanting to get a cat?

NO NO NO

Sounds like you have had very little experience with cats-maybe only the 1 cat who lives with your sister in law. Each cat has a distinct personality and you cannot tell what it will be and to a certain degree, you cannot mold that personality. Well you can if you have a young cat terrorized by wild children and mean dogs you will have a frightened and introverted cat.

Wait to get a cat or two bonded cats when you have your own place. They can keep each other company. Get them toys, several trays which you keep immaculately clean, feed them quality wet food ONLY, buy climbing towers and scratching posts and by all means don't get them declawed. It is cruel and extremely painful. Don't do that. You can teach a cat not to mess with furniture.

Old 03-05-2013, 08:52 AM

207 posts, read 535,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
So you are a young person who lives at home with your mother? and she doesn't like cats? and you are wanting to get a cat?

NO NO NO

Sounds like you have had very little experience with cats-maybe only the 1 cat who lives with your sister in law. Each cat has a distinct personality and you cannot tell what it will be and to a certain degree, you cannot mold that personality. Well you can if you have a young cat terrorized by wild children and mean dogs you will have a frightened and introverted cat.

Wait to get a cat or two bonded cats when you have your own place. They can keep each other company. Get them toys, several trays which you keep immaculately clean, feed them quality wet food ONLY, buy climbing towers and scratching posts and by all means don't get them declawed. It is cruel and extremely painful. Don't do that. You can teach a cat not to mess with furniture.
How am i living with my mom? our parents gave us alot of land he built his house and I built mine on the other side. i have a dog my mom gave me because she is a bitier. We do care about animals. My dad bought for the farm and we told him not to but hey what can you tell 80 year

Old 03-05-2013, 08:56 AM

20,396 posts, read 14,673,179 times
As No Kudzu said, if you are living with your Mom and she hates cats, do not get one. INSTEAD, call up local shelters and rescues and ask if you can volunteer to care for cats there. This will allow you to learn all about cats, be prepared for any issue that could ever happen if you get one, and also it is beautiful good karma and a wonderful thing to do. Also if you have a need for community service credit for high school or college (I know that some of them have that), this will fill that, and you can put the volunteer experience on a resume like job experience. By the time you've done this for a while, you'll know if you want to get your own cat or not, and how to spot the personality of cat that will be a good match for you.

But seriously, wait until you have your own place. It's never good to bring an animal into a home where it's not 100% welcome. You don't want to be in the position of letting that cat down one day because you simply can't continue to keep it, trust me, I've been there and it will haunt you forever.

Old 03-05-2013, 09:07 AM

20,396 posts, read 14,673,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkAquarius View Post
... and I know if i have one my mom won't have to tend to it. My mom can't stand cats.
Ah. This, from your original post, is why some of us got the impression you might be a young person living with your Mom. Sorry about the confusion.

Some strategies to keep cats from scratching furniture:

1.) Make sure other surfaces are provided as an alternative. Get the cardboard scratching things, and place them or hang them vertically in places so your cat has something to scratch on. It is a medical necessity for cats to scratch on stuff, they have old dead parts of their claws (the "sheath") that must be shed. They aren't actually scratching to sharpen the claws, but to shed these old husks. Also it's a territorial marking behavior. It's totally natural, and it's not kitty being "bad."

2.) You can get furniture covers to protect valuable pieces of furniture.

3.) You can clip kitty's claws (only the tips, very carefully) about once a week. I do this.

4.) There are scented products that can be sprayed on furniture to repel cats from scratching. I think most are an orange or other citrus scent. Don't know how well this works, possibly it varies from one cat to another the same way some cats respond to catnip and some don't.

5.) They make little plastic claw covers in a variety of colors that you can stick on over the cat's claws. They look a bit like painted nails. You have to keep an eye on the cat though, as over time they fall off and have to be replaced. My Mom used them on one of her cats once and said they worked great.

6.) NEVER EVER EVER DECLAW A CAT, EVER. It's like cutting your fingertips off, and then expecting you to walk around on the stumps for the rest of your life. It's maiming and it's cruel.

Other than that, you might consider adopting an older cat with a laid back personality. Younger kittens are very prone to mischief. They are entertaining, but like puppies, can be destructive until they get older and (if you're lucky) chill out. I have a 7 month old cat, and he's still pretty wild...but all of my furniture is ugly and old and covered with pretty microfiber fuzzy furniture covers, so it looks nice but he can't really wreck it.

GOOD LUCK!

Old 03-05-2013, 09:50 AM

15,129 posts, read 32,335,027 times
She's already she owns a house. She had one built on land that her parents own.

Old 03-05-2013, 10:53 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,100,559 times
Quote:
How am i living with my mom? our parents gave us alot of land he built his house and I built mine on the other side. i have a dog my mom gave me because she is a bitier. We do care about animals. My dad bought for the farm and we told him not to but hey what can you tell 80 year
You are inconsistent. Over on the dog forum you are concerned that your father is leaving two young puppies outside in the snow and won't bring them inside. So which is it?

Old 03-05-2013, 12:10 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,997,451 times
Quote:
Okay i know this sounds cruel but i thought when my dog dies i am considering getting a cat. I love my dog but i know if i get a cat she would not get along with it. I know one of my sister in-laws have a cat and i fell in love with it. I cannot remember what kind of cat is it the cat is very calm and i notice my sister inlaw doesn't have any sctraches on any furniture.
Cats NEED to scratch on things, that's why they have scratching posts and cat-furniture in all the stores today. The calmest cat needs a scratching post.

Quote:
So I was wondering what kind of cat that doesn't scratch any furniture. I have a nre home but I am gone for 12 hours and I know if i have one my mom won't have to tend to it. My mom can't stand cats.
If she can't stand cats it may not be wise to bring one in. All cats must exercise their shoulder muscles, front legs and de-sheath their claws. If you can't afford one or two scratching posts or some cat-furniture when on sale, adopt a cat that was already mutilated by being de-clawed. Don't get one that isn't mutilated and have it done.

Quote:
I remember growing up my uncle had a big fluffy simese cat and if you don't like it the cat will come to you. But i dunno.
Before bringing in a cat, make sure your mother is in agreement with you.

Old 03-05-2013, 12:48 PM

30,263 posts, read 23,746,924 times
Quote:
Ok, let's clarify, you have your own place, you do not live with your mother. I think what you were saying is because you are gone so long, sometimes your mom has had to take care of your dog which was fine but she would not be happy to have to take care of a cat. Which, it doesn't matter, because 12 hours is doable with a cat and it's your own home anyway.

Now, you have a dog. You have owned a pet, you know how to own and take care of a pet.

As a dog and cat owner, I will say that cats are WAY easier than dogs. However, what many people don't do with cats that they do with dogs is spend a lot of time with them. This is not all cat owners, some cat owners devote a lot of time to their pets and THAT is when you will see their real character come out.

It may be easier to leave a cat at home while you are gone so long than a dog but make sure that when you are home, you spend tons of time with your pet.

For scratching furniture, get a lot of scratching posts and some cat trees. Cats like to be up high so get one of those "kitty condo" cat trees. It gives them a huge contraption to put their claws on and it makes them happy to climb up and be higher.

Get some smaller basic cat scratching posts and place them in the same room as say, your couch. This gives kitty the option to scratch that instead of the couch. (You may have to make the scratching post more appealing as some fabric makes kitties go wild. Heck, even some wall textures make kitties go wild. (Ask me how I know that one!)) Have one smaller post in your room, one small post in your living room AND a kitty condo contraption, (the one they can climb up to be up high) or put that kitty condo contraption in the "kitty" room if you have one of those. (I do, some people do but that's not a necessity.)

Litter changing: Daily scoop. I cannot stress this enough. Scoop it out daily. You don't have to completely change it daily but you should scoop it out. This should eliminate any issues with...uh...elimination...in unwanted places. Box should be changed entirely, weekly. That means dumping it out, washing it out, refilling with clean litter.

Litter: If you can get the kind that doesn't spread around a lot of dust in the air, that is better.

Litter boxes: One per cat. Make sure it's big enough that the cat can move around comfortably without touching the sides when it does.

Your Laundry: Be prepared to have kitty leap in to your "fresh out of the dryer" laundry if you don't put it away immediately. It happens. It's warm. They like it. Put your clothes away when they come out...unless you don't mind kitty hair all over your nice, clean work pants. (For example.)

Cat nip: It not only attracts kitties to the scratching posts you want them to use, it's fun!

Squirt bottle: There is NO need to ever yell at a cat. Ever. If the cat is doing something wrong, a squirt bottle will get the message across. Eventually, you will only have to raise that squirt bottle, maybe shake it a little so they hear the water swishing inside and they will stop doing that wrong thing.

Is the cat going to be an inside only cat? Will it also be an outside cat? How old will the cat be that you are going to get? If you are going to allow the cat to be outside, you need a cat who knows HOW to be outside, (roads, coyotes, traps, evil people, etc). There are arguments about "quality of life" for indoor cats vs outdoor cats that will never end so you will have to make that decision. I have a cat that likes to go outside but she only gets to if she wears her leash/harness. No other way. She quickly adapted to the harness and if I even show it to her, she races to the door, knowing full well what that means. Otherwise, my cats are strictly indoors and they are perfectly content.

Grooming: Cats, for the most part, there's always exceptions, do a great job of grooming themselves. You shouldn't have to bathe your cat unless the cat got in to something or can't bathe itself. Brushing the cat....depends on how long the fur happens to be. Longer haired cats should be brushed often to prevent matting. Shorter hair cats don't have to be brushed as often but if you introduce the brush to them at an early age, and with patience and treats, (or sometimes they take right to it), it feels good to them and it's a great bonding experience.

Food: Cats are carnivores. That's all I will say on that matter.

Water: As with dogs, make sure their bowl is full of fresh, clean water every day.

Toys: As most cat owners/lovers have learned, you can spend a lot of money on cat toys only to discover that a paper bag, a box or a rolled up piece of paper, (or even the wrapping that expensive toy came in), are far more entertaining to the cat than a plastic ball with a bell in it, or a stuffed mouse. (Although the little stuffed mice with cat nip inside are a hit...at first.) The best toy, however, is YOU. Play with your cat. A lot.

Training: You can actually train a cat to do things and cats do understand words like dogs understand words. They don't speak English but if you are repetitive, they can learn words. My cat knows "outside" (well, actually, we call it, "meowtside"), warm box, (the heater), water, etc, etc. Again, if you spend a good chunk of time with your cat, you will open them up.

Rubbing the belly: Some cats don't mind, some cats do. Exposing their belly to you is a trust thing. If your cat hates their belly being rubbed, don't do it when they expose it. Pet another part of them. If they enjoy it, know it's play and give rabbit punches, (playfully), go ahead but not too long. It can also be seen as aggressive.

Learn to read the tail. It will tell you a cat's mood.

When you see a cat stare at you and then slowly close its eyes...it's a sign of them being comfortable with you. Do it back to them.

Your cat may head butt you. That's a good thing.

Your cat may lick you, "taste" you: Means you probably need a shower. Just kidding, it's the salt they are licking off. They may also try to eat your hair or "groom" your hair. Let 'em.

Teasing your cat: I like to try to make them yawn. It's a stupid game but they love it. And when I do finally make them yawn, I gloat. And they love it. Find a silly, ridiculous game that the rest of society thinks is about the dumbest thing they've ever heard...your cat will probably absolutely love it.

Is kitty going to get to sleep on your bed? Don't get upset, then, when you have to launder your comforter or bed spread all the time. It's worth it. My cat sleeps with me like a teddy bear. We even have a ritual which...when I do it, it's fine because the cat and I understand but if I say it here, people will think I'm touched. It's one of those things you do with your pet that others don't necessarily get...except that they have some crazy thing they do with theirs so we're all in the same boat, essentially.

Cats tend to be calmer, quieter, (not always...Siamese talk a lot), cleaner and easier to care for than dogs. However, again, I stress, spend a LOT of time with the cat.

Oh, speaking of talking...when a cat talks, it's talking to you. They don't "chat" with other cats. They might do some talking if they are unhappy with another cat or animal, but that meowing is for you. So talk to them.

If you can handle a dog, you can handle a cat.

And finally...I second the request: DO. NOT. GET YOUR CAT. DECLAWED. Don't do it. It's horribly inhumane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats