Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 01:34 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,655,128 times

Advertisements

Yeah, you don't want a declawed cat roaming outside at all! He might not roam, but cats are all different that way. Mine's never been outside, but if I put her out there I'm sure that given time she would want to check out everything. She's the investigative sort.

It's tough, I don't know what's going on, but it's hard not to think that coming right up to where you are and peeing is a sign of a medical issue. I certainly don't have a ton of experience, but the only time my cat ever did that she had something going on, some kind of UTI or similar. I figure it was her way of pointing that out to me. I find it kind of odd that they react in that way, but despite the hating of vets and negative reactions to other things we do to help, they must get an understanding that we do, in fact, help them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2012, 01:45 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,573,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
If he is nuetered, he probably won't roam. Our patio cat, just hung out in the yard. He hardly left the patio.
You can't count on that. A friend of mine lost her cat yesterday. She stood there at side of the road and watched as someone deliberately ran over her cat. Deliberately. That's what people do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaComeHome View Post
601: I don't know if he was an outside cat initially, other than being a street walker. He does always want to go out, and sometimes I'll take him out and hold him on top of the recycle bins so he can look around and feel the air. I often don't have time to harness him and take him out - and DH won't every since he slipped his harness once. but yes, I'm trying to make him indoor only, I don't like letting cats outside - we're on a very busy street, which he was managing fine, it's always that way.. until it isn't. and I don't want someone else taking him in (he won't wear a collar - yes, he is chipped).

when we have nice days, I try to open a couple of windows so the cats can sit in them. now that we're coming in to spring, it will happen more. but we really don't have the option of creating a catio in this house. I'd like to make one on the huge back deck of the next house (10 months from the big move!) although there isn't any way we could give them window access to it. most of them do like windows when I open them.

Jasper: the problem is that making him an outdoor cat means essentially kicking him out of the house. He'll likely start roaming again and I have no idea what will happen to him - and he's declawed (came that way) so I never liked it that he was walking the streets. Laurel is a pretty big suburban sprawl with far too many people and cars.

Catsmom: I have no probably putting a cat on meds if they need it. He doesn't like pills, but I can do it. Briefly he liked the pill pockets, but he's gone off them again. It just seems odd that the last 3 weeks, his moment have all been a week apart! He's fine all the rest of the time. There were no fights going on last night, I was hoping to get to sleep, no other cat was on the bed... he just walked up to my back and let go.

Let's see, what am I feeding him: they rotate between DVP's Natural Balance (green pea & duck), Simply Nourish, and Innova. I have a small bag of Wysong to try on them. they get 1/5 of a handful 3xday. canned is rotated between FF classics, wellsong, innova, nutro max, & Iams. all low carb, low/no fish and the byproducts (if there are some) are at least 3 or 4 on the list. I've got a bunch of singles of assorted other grain frees that I got at the petstore last month that I try on them occasionally - the most they get for any meal is 1/5 of a can so I can see how that bit works with them (Henry despised the turducken!).

The vet for the other 4 likes clomacalm (clomipramine hydrochloride) for peeing issues. but it turned out that it wasn't Hannah after all, and it didn't make any difference to her or Canute on general anxiety so they are off that. Never tried it on Henry. Tomorrow morning I can call Henry's vet (different practice) who saw him initially with this problem and see what she recommends. Amitriptyline? I'll inquire.

thanks!

I would take him off the dry food all together. There's a good chance that could be causing some irritation in his urinary tract.

Cats can adjust to taking daily pills. It would just be a matter of finding the method that works best for Henry. If it comes to that, I will be happy to offer some tips.

Old 03-04-2012, 04:59 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,603,681 times
Sounds like when you move and can create a catio you'll be doing a great thing for all of your cats. Good luck and have fun! There are threads on this forum with pictures of them.

I personally don't like to drug my animals/kids/self, although I do understand that it's a personal choice. To me it's like putting a kid on ritalin - it would be SO much better to give them tons and tons of exercise rather than dope them up. Of course your cat's problem could be a bladder or kidney problem that can only be solved with medication.

I would definitely take him off cosequin if he's on that - I had a cat with kidney problems who, after having been given cosequin (the cat formula) by me in all ignorance and with the best intentions (another cat in my crew had arthritis), died within 6 hours. Maybe a coincidence, but I don't believe so.

Old 03-04-2012, 05:12 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,573,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
Sounds like when you move and can create a catio you'll be doing a great thing for all of your cats. Good luck and have fun! There are threads on this forum with pictures of them.

I personally don't like to drug my animals/kids/self, although I do understand that it's a personal choice. To me it's like putting a kid on ritalin - it would be SO much better to give them tons and tons of exercise rather than dope them up. Of course your cat's problem could be a bladder or kidney problem that can only be solved with medication.

I would definitely take him off cosequin if he's on that - I had a cat with kidney problems who, after having been given cosequin (the cat formula) by me in all ignorance and with the best intentions (another cat in my crew had arthritis), died within 6 hours. Maybe a coincidence, but I don't believe so.

My CRF kitty was on cosequin, along with her kidney disease, for many years. My kitty with lower urinary tract disease has been taking it for 6 years, and it has helped very much in keeping her comfortable. Cosequin is an effective safe supplement with very few, if any, side effects. Of course like with any drug, some cats cannot tolerate it, and I am sorry for your loss, but it is not likely to have caused your cat's death.

Old 03-04-2012, 05:35 PM

3,712 posts, read 11,035,160 times
thanks, 6o1, He's been on the cosequin for most of the week now, and I don't see that it's causing any problems. I also don't know if it's doing anything since he peed on me anyway! I do know that at the exam, they did more than just take the urine sample for testing, they also did an ultrasound to check his bladder - it was also clear. He's not happy that I'm not allowing him on the bed now, even though the others can be. and if I find him on there, he's very unceremoniously removed! He's abused the privilege.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats