Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 04:34 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,827,228 times

Advertisements

There's a bay window which overlooks the sidewalk in front of the house as well as the stoop. So I think the successor cat(s) will soon learn that they can perch on a sill, or even the pane divider for a higher vantage point. I don't foresee an issue where that end of the place is concerned. As for the back porch, I'd just as soon not screen it in b/c there's a "crawl space" underneath the base of the railing which would have to be covered as well. (Blocking access would also mean the feral cats I take care of would go hungry. ) Once they grow accustomed to staying inside the house they ought to be OK with situating themselves at windows in the back also, even though it's much easier to reach that porch. I would, however, need to replace the window screen that Weasie did such a number on from plucking with a claw when I wasn't immediately at hand to let her in.

A neighbor who lived next door for five years had a 28-pound Maine Coon who wasn't allowed out. Weasie would tease him mercilessly about the freedom she enjoyed. If she wasn't taking a very relaxed bath not two feet away from the window from which he glared, she was sashaying up and down the sidewalk to rub it in. So maybe the new cat(s) will have her sins visited upon them!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2012, 07:16 PM

17,634 posts, read 22,630,766 times
If'n the kitties wanted more outside air when the weather is nice, you could add a window room...

Cat Window Patios from Cats With An Altitude Crafts! - YouTube

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&sugexp=...w=1440&bih=817

Old 03-05-2012, 07:36 PM

2,031 posts, read 3,224,313 times
Definitely a pair. I crack up every single day at my two cats. They will groom each other one minute and the next they are chasing each other around the house. They are so stinkin' cute.

Old 03-05-2012, 11:51 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,987,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post
There's a bay window which overlooks the sidewalk in front of the house as well as the stoop. So I think the successor cat(s) will soon learn that they can perch on a sill,.....
You can get one of those cat playpens (see below) like we have and set it up against a window on the porch so they can go in at out at will. We even have one on the RV here in FL. They're larger than the ones sold for windows exclusively and the three cats fit perfectly.

It's sitting on a special frame my husband made. One leg was clamped on and the other lag can be seen on the ground. There is also a clamp at the window. At home this cage was on the front porch at a window. That porch was enclosed so we made a much larger cage for them on the side deck. In both they are free to come and go and are safe from predators, cars and sadists.

This is what it looks like once put together out of the box. Remove one door and push it against a window. Use a few bungee cords to keep it in place.

Old 03-06-2012, 03:57 PM

Hahaha! Great idea! I see two puddies even obliged by being product models.

Old 03-07-2012, 12:14 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,987,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post
Hahaha! Great idea! I see two puddies even obliged by being product models.
They spend a lot of time in this "cage" when we're camping or snow-birding. At home they have a much larger one on the side deck. Same set-up, they can go in and out at will.

Old 03-07-2012, 12:53 PM

41,951 posts, read 75,160,115 times
Wait and see who chooses you.

Old 03-07-2012, 08:37 PM

The only thing still bugging me is that I have my three feral friends to think about. It hardly seems fair to have a house cat or two confined to even a window-attached enclosure when the others are roaming free and jumping right up on the porch to eat. Plus there's bound to be drama whenever one of them comes to call. But I s'pose the new addition(s) will have to cede the territory.

Old 03-07-2012, 08:51 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,650,216 times
They'll adjust. If you make outside out of bounds for new indoor kitties, outside is out of bounds. With proper vigilance there's no reason you can't have indoor cats even with the ferals coming round. They may get slightly agitated at each others' presence if they notice, but the concept of "Wow that cat is outside roaming free" is only our concept. Your indoor cats won't know the difference. All they know is there's another cat on the other side of that glass force field not that their space in the house is a small space in a big wide world.

May not entirely hold true for a cat who used to be outside, but the choice is still yours. The emotions you attach to it are only anthropomorphizing, not necessarily what any cat would actually feel. They won't notice any sense of not fair in this way.

Old 03-08-2012, 06:08 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,564,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
They'll adjust. If you make outside out of bounds for new indoor kitties, outside is out of bounds. With proper vigilance there's no reason you can't have indoor cats even with the ferals coming round. They may get slightly agitated at each others' presence if they notice, but the concept of "Wow that cat is outside roaming free" is only our concept. Your indoor cats won't know the difference. All they know is there's another cat on the other side of that glass force field not that their space in the house is a small space in a big wide world.

May not entirely hold true for a cat who used to be outside, but the choice is still yours. The emotions you attach to it are only anthropomorphizing, not necessarily what any cat would actually feel. They won't notice any sense of not fair in this way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats