Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 03:51 PM

5,331 posts, read 8,538,811 times

Advertisements

I hope you will be able to get a solution to this- I completely understand your frustration.

I can recommend a behaviorist to you if you decide to go that route.

I used her to help train my elderly cat to use a cat door and had great results from her suggestions. She has you fill out a 20 page questionnaire, then you do a phone consult, and weekly email follow ups from there.

She told me she has done over 7,000 consults on litter box problems (#1 reason people call her).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2012, 03:59 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,675,571 times
One cat box or two? Each cat should have it's own.

Old 03-31-2012, 04:05 PM

585 posts, read 2,014,607 times
Three cats, two boxes. I know I should technically have FOUR boxes but we're in a 800 sq ft apartment. When this first started happening, I put a spare box in the middle of the living room just to see what happened and no one used it, not once. I also tried putting a second box in my large bedroom closet in addition to the box in my bedroom (bringing the total to three) but again, it maybe got used once.

All three cats definitely prefer the box in the hallway so I just make a habit of cleaning it out at least twice a day.

Old 03-31-2012, 04:08 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,675,571 times
Thanks. I feel silly because I went back an reread your post and realized I missed a multiple box comment.

Attention getter? Have you noticed that it happens after you pay more attention to the other cats, or after you are gone for an extended period of time? For our cats it was knocking every pillow of the couches and beds.

Old 03-31-2012, 04:26 PM

I really suspect it has something to me being at work at all day since he tends to leave me a present just before I get home and again later when I'm settled in and relaxing after work. He also did it frequently when my boyfriend was in town last weekend - although he really likes my boyfriend (maybe more than he likes me, haha) and both my boyfriend and I make a point to give the cats attention when he is here so they don't feel left out. The one, non-problem kitten (alpha) will just flop down on my boyfriend's lap but problem cat tends to isolate in my bedroom on my bed, I'll make a point to go in there and talk to him.

I definitely try to distribute the lovin' equally - if anyone would act up, it would be cranky old senior lady, but she is content to be ignored most of the time except on the rare occasion she climbs up next to me complaining loudly.

I believe problem cat was possibly feral before the shelter got him - of all the cats, he seems most fixated on the outside (where we have feral cats running through our condo complex). Any time I open the windows, he sits on the ledge the whole time just staring. He often tries to slip out the door when I leave for work. I wonder if part of this behavior is his way of acting out due to resenting being stuck inside all day.

Old 04-23-2012, 07:57 PM

PROBLEM SOLVED!!! Problem cat did not like the litter mats I had under the boxes. We had one grass-type one and one soft fabric one, he'd used both for his business. I threw them both in the wash after he'd, er, "used" them one day and left them in the dryer for a few days as I just didn't feel like removing them. Well DAYS went by and no issues in either box... it's now been several weeks and we have not had a SINGLE accident, even after a long day of me at work when I was rushing out the door and didn't have time to clean the box in the morning like I usually do.

If anyone here happens across this thread, try removing the litter mats first! For some reason, problem cat just doesn't like litter mats. Who knew.

Old 04-23-2012, 08:48 PM

3,712 posts, read 11,030,646 times
Awesome! glad you solved the problem (even if by <cough> accident). amazing how simple things like that can bug them!

Old 04-24-2012, 10:47 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,405,069 times
I was going to suggest asking the vet if he might have an inflammatory bowel disease, but the problem seems to be solved.

Old 04-26-2012, 07:47 AM

2,401 posts, read 4,682,095 times
You need multiple boxes (more than 2) in different locations.
Closets are by no means a good locale for cats = tight confines.

Do try Cat Attract & Dr. Elsey's "Precious Cat" Litter... great products.

Old 04-26-2012, 07:48 AM

2,401 posts, read 4,682,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killabunnies View Post
PROBLEM SOLVED!!! Problem cat did not like the litter mats I had under the boxes. We had one grass-type one and one soft fabric one, he'd used both for his business. I threw them both in the wash after he'd, er, "used" them one day and left them in the dryer for a few days as I just didn't feel like removing them. Well DAYS went by and no issues in either box... it's now been several weeks and we have not had a SINGLE accident, even after a long day of me at work when I was rushing out the door and didn't have time to clean the box in the morning like I usually do.

If anyone here happens across this thread, try removing the litter mats first! For some reason, problem cat just doesn't like litter mats. Who knew.

There you go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats