Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 12:41 PM

3,712 posts, read 11,037,076 times

Advertisements

We are hoping to go away again (only 4 days) next week, but I'm not sure what to do about the Hannah/Canute situation.

Background: we're moving at the end of the year, so we've been doing these trips somewhat regularly (with a 5 month break last year), and it really helps my husband de-stress going there. This is important because he has stage IV cancer that did not do well with his 6 mos of chemo. They will start a new type in April that has nasty side effects. So, since he enjoys it, I really want to go up.

Problem: as I've mentioned before, there is a dynamic issue between 2 of our 5 cats. Hannah is very insecure and Canute has a high prey drive so he hunts & smacks her like a large mouse. This makes her terrified (I don't blame her). Felliway has not helped, neither has rescue remedy or even clomacalm drugs.

it finally got so bad she wasn't able to get much water.. so I put her in seclusion so she could calm down and build up some self confidence. She's doing fine, and gets along well when any of the other 3 cats come in the back room with her. But she's still scared moving out of the room, esp if any other cat is nearby.

I can have someone come by 2x day to feed them while we're gone, but I can't leave her locked up there for 4 days with only a couple short visites each day! right now, she's in there during the work day, but morning and evenings she gets plenty of company with the others (except Canute).

so what do I do? it's been 4 days she's been back there, happy in the back room, fine with visitors, back to being my sweet girl again. but.. if I just leave the door open, she's going to go back to hiding in her 3 'safe' spots trying to avoid Canute who will stalk her.

do I put Canute on drugs to zonk him out while we're gone? Are there any drugs to give her confidence? look into boarding someone? we can't take any with us since it's a 10-hour drive (none of them like riding) each way with only 2 days in a house they've never seen (yet).

If DH was doing well with the chemo, I'd say skip going up, but... I dunno.

help?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2012, 02:40 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,993,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaComeHome View Post
do I put Canute on drugs to zonk him out while we're gone? Are there any drugs to give her confidence? look into boarding someone? we can't take any with us since it's a 10-hour drive (none of them like riding) each way with only 2 days in a house they've never seen (yet).

If DH was doing well with the chemo, I'd say skip going up, but... I dunno.

help?
Only 10 hours? None of our cats enjoy riding in the van but tolerate 3 days and 2 nights on the road when we snow-bird in the winter. Give your cat a rest and take Canute with you.

Old 03-22-2012, 03:46 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,835,634 times
I vote for taking one of them with you. I moved across country with 3 cats and 2 dogs in an Accord. Crowded but the cats settled doqn after about 3 hrs of non-stop yowling and were fine.

Old 03-22-2012, 06:02 PM

yeah, but all that driving to a new place (granted, he's probably the likely to be the quickest to adapt there) and only there for 2 days and then back... he's one of the 2 who hyperventilates and pees in the carrier. I had been planning to drug him and Magnus for the move.

also.. when we go up, we aren't necessarily in the house all that much. Lots of errands and visiting parents. We might get 3/4 day home (and nights, of course). didn't seem fair to put any of them through that.

(10 hours if the traffic is flowing well. dunno how it will be on a wed)

Old 03-22-2012, 06:24 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,576,592 times
I think Hannah will be fine for four days in her room with just a couple of short visits from the pet sitter every day. There's a window right? She's happy in there right?

I say leave her in there, make very sure the sitter knows giving Hannah some visit time (from the sitter, and possibly the other two cats) is a priority and rest as easy as you can, knowing she's safe and peaceful.

Drugging Canute would be very dangerous, without someone there to keep an eye on him 24/7, and as you said, drugs have already been tried.

Leave the arrangement the way it is now, that will be the least stressful for ALL the cats. Cats like their routines to stay the same.

Old 03-23-2012, 04:38 PM

you think? really? yes, there is a window with a box they all like to lounge on in front of it. There's actually another window but only Henry seems to be able to balance on the bit of a/c in it. There's not a great deal of open floor, it is a store room so it's 1/f filled with boxes, but the walls aren't close in like a bathroom. She's content in there, if bored. All the other cats want to be able to go in, though - they're used to napping in there (which is another reason for all the social time - give them a chance, too!).

Someone had suggested boarding Canute and letting Hannah out. something to consider.

Old 03-23-2012, 05:00 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,657,658 times
I think she'd be okay in there too. There are worse spaces. I mean, if you board a cat, they go into a much smaller space with only a little while out of it each day most likely. So staying in that bigger familiar room at home seems more like it. You can try to make it a little more engaging in there for her, toys or climber or whatever works. But they don't need much, and it sounds like she would get twice a day interaction which is pretty good for when you're away. (Often enough it's only once a day interaction.)

Wouldn't bother boarding one cat as that's going to add significantly to your expense given that you already need the sitter.

Just needs to be clear instructions on making sure door is latched properly, other cats are out, etc.

Old 03-23-2012, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaComeHome View Post
you think? really? yes, there is a window with a box they all like to lounge on in front of it. There's actually another window but only Henry seems to be able to balance on the bit of a/c in it. There's not a great deal of open floor, it is a store room so it's 1/f filled with boxes, but the walls aren't close in like a bathroom. She's content in there, if bored. All the other cats want to be able to go in, though - they're used to napping in there (which is another reason for all the social time - give them a chance, too!).

Someone had suggested boarding Canute and letting Hannah out. something to consider.
I really do think so. I think cats do best with things kept as close to what they are used to as possible. I think she will be fine in her own little kingdom with two visits a day from the sitter, and no fear of being harassed by Canute.

And Canute will do better in his own home rather than being boarded which is probably stress he does not need, either.

I forget, do you use feliway diffusers?

Old 03-23-2012, 08:22 PM

hmm... ok. She isn't interested in toys that she has to play with - only with mouse/string stick when I'm working it for her. There is no climbing thing in there, she's pretty iffy about those anyway (I had one at work: she obviously slept in the top level since I was cleaning her hair of it, but she'd never allow anyone to see her there!). If she has a mind, she can climb on the stack of 3 or 4 suitcases - as many other cats have/do. and of course if she really wanted to, but I don't think she does, she could be climbing on all the boxes and piles of stuff in there! Mostly she lies on the floor or the window box. I was just worried that even though boarding is small cubbies, they at least get to watch all the activity going on - she can look out the window across the neighbor's back yard, but that's about it.

William's "cave" (small carrier with the door off - he loves napping in it) is in there as well as a wicker dome that Henry likes. Hannah ignores them.

I'm not as worried about Canute being stressed about boarding, he's very adaptable and would likely just be bored, but you're absolutely right about the cost.

Yes, I do have 2 feliway plugins: one in the bedroom and one in the dining room.

Old 03-23-2012, 08:29 PM

Ask your pet sitter to toss a handful of birdseed on the ground outside that window each time s/he comes to the house. Or if you have time, put a bird feeder up out there. That will give Hannah some entertainment. Cat TV, I call bird feeders.

You probably already know this, but I'll mention it just in case, and for anyone else reading who might not realize, don't leave her string on a stick toy in there with no supervision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats