Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2012, 11:52 AM

915 posts, read 2,128,170 times

Advertisements

Let me preface my post by saying that I am not suggesting that I believe in reincarnation, or that it's true, or anything of that sort; I'm in fact very skeptical about anything supernatural, including all religions, even Buddhist ones. However, cats are weird and I wanted to share an example.

I have had one, close, fur baby my entire adult life. First there was Edward, and then Annie, and now Edward II. Each lived long, happy lives and were only replaced by a new baby after much searching and fostering other cats until I found the one that wanted to be with me.

My current Edward is a big boy; a huge black & white, gentle, sweet, affectionate, patient. He's a prize, really. I had surgery recently and I've been scared to death--and he's been such a comfort. But he has this one weird thing that so much reminds me of the men in my family, my father specifically: he wants me to sit right next to him, or over him, when he's eating.

In the morning when I give him his wet cat food, he will holler at me until I come over to the part of kitchen where I put the food down, and then when I'm there, drinking coffee (say), he'll start eating. He wants me right there, next to him, while he has his breakfast. It's the oddest thing.

My dad (deceased 10 years), was like that. Before he'd go to bed at night, everybody in the house had to be in bed. Dinner time, everybody in the house had to be at the table.

I have another cat story, but this has been long enough, and probably not that interesting. Anybody else have a cat who does this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2012, 11:56 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvintar View Post
Let me preface my post by saying that I am not suggesting that I believe in reincarnation, or that it's true, or anything of that sort; I'm in fact very skeptical about anything supernatural, including all religions, even Buddhist ones. However, cats are weird and I wanted to share an example.

I have had one, close, fur baby my entire adult life. First there was Edward, and then Annie, and now Edward II. Each lived long, happy lives and were only replaced by a new baby after much searching and fostering other cats until I found the one that wanted to be with me.

My current Edward is a big boy; a huge black & white, gentle, sweet, affectionate, patient. He's a prize, really. I had surgery recently and I've been scared to death--and he's been such a comfort. But he has this one weird thing that so much reminds me of the men in my family, my father specifically: he wants me to sit right next to him, or over him, when he's eating.

In the morning when I give him his wet cat food, he will holler at me until I come over to the part of kitchen where I put the food down, and then when I'm there, drinking coffee (say), he'll start eating. He wants me right there, next to him, while he has his breakfast. It's the oddest thing.

My dad (deceased 10 years), was like that. Before he'd go to bed at night, everybody in the house had to be in bed. Dinner time, everybody in the house had to be at the table.

I have another cat story, but this has been long enough, and probably not that interesting. Anybody else have a cat who does this?
My neighbor's cat Inky wants to be pet while he is eating. Not the entire time but a few pets then he starts eating then a few more pets and the human can go away while he finishes eating. I don't think it is that out of the ordinary. My Cailleach wants to be pet when she starts eating at times but not all the time. My other cat Smudge wanted to be left alone to eat but she hated most of humanity.

Old 03-23-2012, 12:44 PM

Besides being on a gig in another state, and feeling my cat (back in the other state), jump on my bed, the weirdest story I have is how when Edward I died, a cat I fostered picked up Edward's limp, almost as if he had been possessed by my previous cat. It was weird, to say the least. I loved the fostered cat but he was not the one I ended up keeping. I swear, I think Edward (the deceased) was jealous of the new one; I ended up getting a little girl.

Old 03-26-2012, 07:10 PM

It's really not that he wants to be petted. He does want to be petted (constantly) but it's more than he wants me to keep him company while he's eating. Like my dad always did.

I'm totally a feminist (equal pay for equal work, and all of that), but males and females are just different. My boy cat is so different than the girl I had. He's still sweet, but he's a boy, and you can tell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats