Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 08:06 AM

1,631 posts, read 4,226,086 times

Advertisements

Ok, so this morning I came downstairs and looked at the corner where the pee has been happening. We blocked it off using a folding table and chairs and foil. One of the chairs was knocked over so I looked at the webcam footage. Since it only records stills when motion activated I had to use my best judgement. It looks like the kitten/younger cat was in the corner and peed all over the barrier we made. So it is him. I'll be making an appt. with the vet today. Thank you all for suggestions and input. I hope it is nothing serious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2012, 08:19 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,508,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Bungle View Post
Ok, so this morning I came downstairs and looked at the corner where the pee has been happening. We blocked it off using a folding table and chairs and foil. One of the chairs was knocked over so I looked at the webcam footage. Since it only records stills when motion activated I had to use my best judgement. It looks like the kitten/younger cat was in the corner and peed all over the barrier we made. So it is him. I'll be making an appt. with the vet today. Thank you all for suggestions and input. I hope it is nothing serious.
Best of luck! If it's UTI, prevention is key for future. Changing to a UTI food, and/or adding a kitty water fountain to ensure proper hydration.

Old 04-09-2012, 09:31 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,580,966 times
Quote:

I'm glad you've found the culprit and will get him in to have his urine checked out.

His determination to use that one spot, though, says to me that he either doesn't like the litter box offered, or he doesn't like sharing, or he doesn't like the location, or someone has been preventing him from using the litter box.

I am NOT saying he doesn't have a health problem, because any of those issues could cause him to develop a urinary tract problem, due to stress or holding the urine or both.

So..even if he does have a UTI and/or crystals in his urine, I do urge you to add another litter box.

Keep us posted!

Old 04-10-2012, 07:04 AM

Here is a fun thing. I just got home from dropping off the younger cat at the vet and what do I see in the "pee corner"? some poo! So either it is him and the older male, or the older male. The webcam didn't activate so I didn't see who actually did it, but it wasn't there when I left.

Old 04-10-2012, 07:08 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,427,629 times
Aaarrrgh!

The plot thickens. I really hope you get this straightened out!

Old 04-10-2012, 07:12 AM

I'll just take the older male in tomorrow I guess. The younger one is still doing some weird stuff since his neutering so it may be worth it to have taken him in. I just don't like how this is going to affect my wallet.

Old 04-10-2012, 07:17 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,580,966 times
Any chance of putting a litter box in that corner?

Old 04-10-2012, 07:22 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,427,629 times
Catsmom has a good point. There may be lingering odors the cats can detect no matter what you do. It could have all started when the litterbox was occupied and one of them really had to go. A second box in that spot might solve the problem.

Old 04-10-2012, 07:26 AM

3,712 posts, read 11,037,076 times
Quote:
I'll just take the older male in tomorrow I guess. The younger one is still doing some weird stuff since his neutering so it may be worth it to have taken him in.
good luck! it may be that the older male is simply using what now seems like a litter box, or may be trying to put his own smell on top... Catsmom's suggestion of putting a litterbox there might help.

Quote:
I just don't like how this is going to affect my wallet.
no one does. you're in good company! I'm taking 2 of mine in this afternoon and probably 3-4 out of the 5 will end up on drugs (because it's better than kicking them all out! I'm in one of those love/hate frustration places from too much stress. Don't even get on me about it) for peeing/spraying, aggression, timidity & some weird bump on the tail. My pee-er will get checked out (again) by a different (my usual) vet. I fully expect him to be clean, I believe he pees out of emotion: when he doesn't get what he wants, he acts out.

Old 04-10-2012, 07:39 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,995,469 times
Quote:

I don't know which cat is doing this but I assume it is the kitten.
You have 3 cats so should have 4 litter boxes that you scoop twice a day. Many cats will not use an unclean unscooped box. Or you may have a cat who is "litterbox guarding." In that case the other cat has no choice but to use the floor. And the boxes need to be in different areas, not all lined up together.

There are times Zebulon (male) wont let Zephyr (female) use the box in the utility room. He guards the box for some unknown reason and wont let her near it. She then goes to the box in the back bathroom. Sure beats having accidents on the floors or carpeting.

Last edited by =^..^=; 04-10-2012 at 07:48 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats