Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 07:34 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,071,612 times

Advertisements

well nothing new here except I had no idea a light colored female kitten is your best best to avoid allergies. Never thought color or gender had a thing to do with a cat causing allergies.

did you learn anything new from this article?

10 Surprising Cat-Care Tips | ABC News Blogs - Yahoo!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2012, 07:43 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,569,713 times
I am skeptical about the light colored cat being less allergenic. People who are allergic to cats are allergic to dander. Dander is the coating that forms on a cat's fur from the cat's saliva when s/he washes. How could the shade of the fur matter?

I dislike very much that this probable fallacy will now be passed around and perpetuated. Black cats get a bad enough rap as it is, already.

As for replacing scratchers, I would have worded it another way. Cats don't like change, we all know that. It's all about smell with cats. Refurbishing the old one is good, as it keeps the old smells there.

Bring in a new scratcher and keep both the old and the new. When I bring in new ones, my cats take right to them. They never scratch my couch, even when it was new!

Old 05-15-2012, 07:48 AM

3,670 posts, read 7,162,696 times
does anyone have any recommendations for water fountains? i was looking at them at pets mart and they range from 20 bucks to over 100 and i couldnt really tell the difference between them. my cats are always splashing their water all over the floor. one of them also likes to fling her kibbles out of the food bowl and onto the floor before eating them

Old 05-15-2012, 08:10 AM

3,712 posts, read 11,034,225 times
I've had a couple of types of water fountains. The first was a real PITA because the motor sat in water (it was an aquarium motor - designed to be wet, and it wasn't in the drinking bowl) so it got nasty and was difficult to clean. I found the Petmate Bubbler on amazon and now have 2 of them! It's very very simple to clean - dishwasher safe and the motor is outside the unit. The tank holds an amazing amount. You can set the flow of how much bubbling action you want, and if you have any problems or need to replace anything, they company is really nice to deal with.

If your cats are splashing water, put it on a mat-tray! We found ones that have a short lip around them at Walmart (only place that had ones with a lip, everyone else has regular flat ones and the water would run off).

Old 05-15-2012, 08:48 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,174,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
How could the shade of the fur matter?

I dislike very much that this probable fallacy will now be passed around and perpetuated. Black cats get a bad enough rap as it is, already.
Agreed. I'm allergic to cats. My sister's black cat doesn't bother me in the least, but my own black and white cats make me sneeze uncontrollably. Go figure.

Old 05-15-2012, 11:23 AM

786 posts, read 1,593,382 times
I'm such a sucker my my cats, after reading the 10 ways to take care of your cat I thought a water fountain would be great, they love the water, my one cat likes to stick her head in the shower EVERY morning. I just ordered the Drinkwell 360 pet fountain after researching many of the models on the market, it's round with a wide base, has 1 to 4 water falls depending on your set up and preference, got good reviews, is dishwasher safe, so we'll see if they like it. They both wait for me to change the water at night before I go to bed [change it in the AM as well] and then take a hefty drink so I figure they might like this, they like the sound of water running so I picked this fountain because it makes some water noise and the pump is inside and supposedly very quiet. I didn't know you were supposed to feed cats canned food, we use dry Science Diet because the vet said it's better for their teeth, keeps them cleaner, now I'll have to research that. Any feedback about dry vs canned appreciated.

Old 05-15-2012, 11:37 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,569,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by judd2401 View Post
I'm such a sucker my my cats, after reading the 10 ways to take care of your cat I thought a water fountain would be great, they love the water, my one cat likes to stick her head in the shower EVERY morning. I just ordered the Drinkwell 360 pet fountain after researching many of the models on the market, it's round with a wide base, has 1 to 4 water falls depending on your set up and preference, got good reviews, is dishwasher safe, so we'll see if they like it. They both wait for me to change the water at night before I go to bed [change it in the AM as well] and then take a hefty drink so I figure they might like this, they like the sound of water running so I picked this fountain because it makes some water noise and the pump is inside and supposedly very quiet. I didn't know you were supposed to feed cats canned food, we use dry Science Diet because the vet said it's better for their teeth, keeps them cleaner, now I'll have to research that. Any feedback about dry vs canned appreciated.
Dry food does not clean teeth. It's like saying eating croutons cleans your teeth. Someday maybe vets will learn this. Some, thank goodness are beginning to do research about feline nutrition, instead of just repeating what they learned from pet food companies who benefit from these fallacies.

Cats are obligate carnivores, they are not designed to eat or digest corn laden kibble.

As obligate carnivores cats do not drink enough water, ever, on a dry food diet to compensate. They are designed to derive their moisture FROM their food. Canned food provides the moisture they need to be healthy.

Here's a good place to start

http://www.catinfo.org/

Dr Pierson is wordy, but the information is excellent. I hope you will decide to get your cats off the kibble and onto a diet a little closer to what they were designed by nature to eat. To the right is the list of articles.

Old 05-15-2012, 11:47 AM

331 posts, read 603,306 times
Interesting Article. Although my vet recommends dry cat food!

Old 05-15-2012, 12:13 PM

786 posts, read 1,593,382 times
What an education I'm getting today. So how do you switch over from dry to canned cat food? The article states the lower priced foods are sometimes as good or better than the high priced, any recs there?

Old 05-15-2012, 01:30 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,071,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by judd2401 View Post
What an education I'm getting today. So how do you switch over from dry to canned cat food? The article states the lower priced foods are sometimes as good or better than the high priced, any recs there?

there are endless threads on this forum alone about dry vs wet cat food. some on this forum - Hi leanan- have done a lot of research and have been generous to share.

we know that vets are not taught much nutrition in school and pet food companies influence them to sell kibble as well as to say dry will clean their teeth.

sometimes pet food is recalled and people here will post such info if you don't get alerts yourself.

always avoid food made in china, anything with corn and ---well just read some of the threads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats