Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 10:22 PM

1,738 posts, read 8,274,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenAngel View Post

But I am so thankful they are alive and well. Oh and yes .... it was expensive $600. but that was the least of my worries.

beautiful cats!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2007, 09:43 AM

4,696 posts, read 7,890,053 times
Thanks for posting this so we can all be very careful about the flea meds when we apply it. I am happpy it turned out OK. Accidents happen, don't feel bad.

Old 09-24-2007, 10:09 AM

504 posts, read 1,763,979 times
Not long ago the dog and cat advantage were interchangeable and would last for about three months when consumers found this out and many people realized they could get the big dose and divide it amongst thier dogs and cats it was reformulated.
It worked out great for me with four dogs and then 2 cats, I could split it according to weight and divide amongst the dogs and cats, and it would last 3 months, now I can only split it among the dogs and it only lasts a little over a month. That goes with frontline also.
I have to buy the different formula for the cats.
Seems like as soon as you figure a way to save money, someone figures a way for you to spend a lot more.
Thanks for letting everyone be aware.

Old 09-24-2007, 04:25 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,271,680 times
If you love animals you would me SHOCKED at the nasty responses I received from a forum in my area. You won't believe it! They named the post "Possible Serial CAT KILLER"!!! I hope city-data allows you to view this link. It's absolutely HORRIBLE!!! I hope many people complain! I don't trust people that can act or say mean things about animals.....

well, I can not imagine that happening here. Best of luck to you and your lovely kitties. Let us know how they are doing.

Old 09-24-2007, 04:27 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,449,841 times
If I were you I'd try to find a holistic vet who might be able to suggest some detox methods to help your cats bodies purge themselves of the toxins in the Advantix and help to minimize and mitigate any long term side effects. I wonder if it is too late for charcoal. Charcoal would have absorbed it all.

I think Advantage in the proper dose is bad enough but my cat has such thick fur and as soon as I thought he'd gotten rid of the fleas, they'd be back, so I broke down and gave him half a dose. Even half a dose zonked him out, but lots of fleas almost immediately dropped off him. I've been giving him a supplement to strengthen his immune system in hopes of warding off long term effects of the Advantage called Macro Force by Immudyne. I give him half a capsule a day. My Naturopath said I could give it to him.

I wanted to leave a link to a really good article about the dangers of Advantage and other spot on flea control products... that talked about terrible side effects even from precribed use and mentioned that 8 kittens given the correct dose all died... for people here but only was able to come up with the one below
which hopefuly will help.

Adverse Reactions from Flea Control Products - Vol. 13

Having just scanned this site it may be that the constant grroming and over grooming and biting my cat is now doing may be due to just this half dose of Advantage I gave him.

Watch out everyone. Frontline, Advantage etc ARE NOT safe AT ALL. Deciding to use it for me was a very difficult decision as I was was definitely choosing the lesser of two evils. I think I will go back to using ALL the natural methods instead of only one or two and being really vigilant about getting rid of the fleas. Now my cat is scratching and biting as if he had fleas.

Old 10-01-2007, 11:13 AM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Thank heaven your kitties have recovered!! Don't beat yourself up -- it was an accident, and everything is OK except your pocketbook, but that certainly was money well spent.

We sure can't be too careful when it comes to reading labels -- about anything!

Old 10-01-2007, 01:49 PM

830 posts, read 1,063,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexander59 View Post
Not long ago the dog and cat advantage were interchangeable and would last for about three months when consumers found this out and many people realized they could get the big dose and divide it amongst thier dogs and cats it was reformulated.
It worked out great for me with four dogs and then 2 cats, I could split it according to weight and divide amongst the dogs and cats, and it would last 3 months, now I can only split it among the dogs and it only lasts a little over a month. That goes with frontline also.
I have to buy the different formula for the cats.
Seems like as soon as you figure a way to save money, someone figures a way for you to spend a lot more.
Thanks for letting everyone be aware.

Well thank you for making me realize that it wouldn't have mattered which type I would have used. I also learned to put my darn glasses on...!!!

It really unfair because the cost of owning muliple pets is making it less and less imposible for people which only hurts these stray animals. It's all about making money no matter which way you turn. Don't get me wrong, everyne is intitled to making a living but not at the expense of hurting anyone.

Old 10-10-2007, 11:28 AM

4 posts, read 23,238 times
Default Advantix and Cats

Hello Frozen Angel,

it just happened yesterday night. I have three wonderful cats, and I love them more than anything else. They are my children, and I would die for them. Yesteday I saw a flea at one of our cats and wanted to buy Advantage, but the dose for dogs, so I could devide it in three doses, one dose for each cat. We always do that, because the medication is exactly the same like in the cat Advantage, only the ml are higher.
I got Advantix instead of Advantage, but I did not look at the tube. After I gave it to my cats (and I was happy that I could save money....) they started acting weird. I looked again onto the plastic bag where the tube was in, and I saw that it was Advantix. I did research in the Internet and realized that it can end up deadly for cats. I was shocked and started panicing, and I called the Animal Urgent Care; they told me to come in immediatly. I packed my cats in the car and went there. They gave the cats a bath, i.v fluids, medication and a lot more. In the morning I had to pick them up and bring them for another 24 hours to my vet, so they could continue with i.v. fluids. They had seizures and were almost dead, now they do well, but I know more when I can pick them up tomorrow. I really love my cats and I hate myself because I did that to them.
I talked to my sister and other people they are all petlovers. All of them say that they would not have known any better, and also the urgent care vet tech said that it happens at least once a week that people put Advantix on the cat.
Doesn't it show that there are not enough warnings? How can it be that this happens to so many petlovers? There have to be more educational advertising. Also I found out that--if you have a cat-- you have to seperate dogs and cats in your home for 24 hours when you put Advantix on your dog. Whenever I bought Advantix for my dog the vet tech never told me that. I wrote about a case where a person lost his cat because the cat got in contact with the dog who just got the flea treatment.
I also ask myself how you can produce such a dangerous and poisening medication. It could kill a child!!!

I hope my cats doing fine and I do not lose them. They mean everything for me and I could not forgive myself.

Old 10-10-2007, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nixe1597 View Post
Hello Frozen Angel,

it just happened yesterday night. I have three wonderful cats, and I love them more than anything else. They are my children, and I would die for them. Yesteday I saw a flea at one of our cats and wanted to buy Advantage, but the dose for dogs, so I could devide it in three doses, one dose for each cat. We always do that, because the medication is exactly the same like in the cat Advantage, only the ml are higher.
I got Advantix instead of Advantage, but I did not look at the tube. After I gave it to my cats (and I was happy that I could save money....) they started acting weird. I looked again onto the plastic bag where the tube was in, and I saw that it was Advantix. I did research in the Internet and realized that it can end up deadly for cats. I was shocked and started panicing, and I called the Animal Urgent Care; they told me to come in immediatly. I packed my cats in the car and went there. They gave the cats a bath, i.v fluids, medication and a lot more. In the morning I had to pick them up and bring them for another 24 hours to my vet, so they could continue with i.v. fluids. They had seizures and were almost dead, now they do well, but I know more when I can pick them up tomorrow. I really love my cats and I hate myself because I did that to them.
I talked to my sister and other people they are all petlovers. All of them say that they would not have known any better, and also the urgent care vet tech said that it happens at least once a week that people put Advantix on the cat.
Doesn't it show that there are not enough warnings? How can it be that this happens to so many petlovers? There have to be more educational advertising. Also I found out that--if you have a cat-- you have to seperate dogs and cats in your home for 24 hours when you put Advantix on your dog. Whenever I bought Advantix for my dog the vet tech never told me that. I wrote about a case where a person lost his cat because the cat got in contact with the dog who just got the flea treatment.
I also ask myself how you can produce such a dangerous and poisening medication. It could kill a child!!!

I hope my cats doing fine and I do not lose them. They mean everything for me and I could not forgive myself.
My heart goes out to you!!! I'll have to say reading your post made me relive the horror! I am a single mother and saving mone was important for me also which was why I had to take my cats home and care for them myself with the medicine orally. It was tricky to get them to take it because the tremors made the cats bit even though they didn't mean to. Luckily I had a device to help minister it. It is great that you can leave them with the vet for the full 48 hours because that is the most important and telling time. I am sure they will be all right because they are getting the IV/medicine continuously.

Funny, just today the hospital emergency 800 number from the back of the Advantix box just called to see how the cats were. I am sure they just wanted to know they didn't die to they can feel they can continue to make this product!!! The woman said they are just contracted by Advantix and have nothing else to do with the product. Imagine to know your product is SOOOO toxic that you actually contract an emergency hospital to answer emergencies!!! That tells me that the profit they make off Advantix is worth it to them!!!! They can be sure I will NEVER use their products again until they remove Advantix off the market!!!

Don't worry, as long as your cats were healthy they will make it ..... My oldest cat who has always been a bit frail, I was most worried about and he is fine now. Hang in there and give them lots of loving .... it works wonders!

OK, let ALL write letters to Advantix!!!!

Old 10-10-2007, 08:26 PM

Geezzz, I am still having a flea problem so tonight I purchased Sergents Nature Gardian which says it's all natural. Well, after what I put my cats through with almost killing them with Advantix I still was worried about applying this "all natural flea & tick drops" so before I put it on my kitties, I started to research the ingredients as I DON'T want to make another mistake! I found this product info online so no way do I want to use it! Here is what I found:

Item: Sergeant’s Nature’s Guardian Flea Squeeze On for cats and kitten

Review: Last night I purchased Sergeant’s Nature’s Guardian Flea and Tick Squeeze On…. which I thought would be a better alternative to Front line, Revolution ( insecticides on my cats? I dont think soooo).
The smell was strong ( like cloves), and I applied it exactly how it was stated, first to Ced, he like- most cats , hates smelly things, but I put it on him, and he sulked under the bed, I did Convoy next…. He FREAKED OUT!!!!!!!!!!
He started scratching at it like a mad person, and a huge bump the size of a tennis ball developed.
He started acting really weird, so I looked for Ced, and HE started running around the house like he was on FIRE!
They both started making creepy noises.
I immediately jumped in the shower with them and started cleaning it off.
It was only on them for maybe 3 minutes.
They are doing fine today, back to themselves.
BUT….
I did some homework, and apparently the contents of Thyme Oil and Peppermint Oils are EXTREMLY TOXIC to cats, even when applied to the skin. It causes liver failure.
(Google- Thyme Oil Toxic cats, and see what pops up).
I called the company a few minutes ago and the “toxicologist”( Sara) that they transferred me too said that it is not toxic at all, and even so, nothing absorbs through skin to even make it to the blood stream. Which we all know is BS.
I called my Vet, and she like many Vets, did not know of this being toxic ( they all said the same thing, call the SPCA, that is where we get our info from.
Some vets that I called did know that it was toxic, and that is a vet I am going to from now on.
DONT BUY THIS PRODUCT!
Rating: 1

Now I am wondering .... what IS SAFE?????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats