Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 10:47 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times

Advertisements

There is more to feline obesity than wet/dry food. Jasper has dry food available 24/7. Yet he is slim as a rail. I feed him Royal Canin. He also gets a pouch of Wellness each day, which he barely acknowledges.

Some cats eat more, some eat less. I think feline obesity should be studied carefully by researchers. There may be a genetic issue that could help people who have problems with food and obesity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2012, 11:53 AM

17,635 posts, read 22,639,503 times
Some of these very over weight cats may have a Thyroid problem, etc.

Old 06-11-2012, 01:26 PM

112 posts, read 352,160 times
we adopted a 13 year old, 17lb cat from the vet. They sent home his food with us - Science Diet i/d or whatever. We were feeding wet and dry to the other cat. The science diet is gone, so he just eats what the other cat is eating. I think he is losing some weight because he and the other cat chase each other around, etc. I haven't weighed him yet though.

They are both happy to eat a mainly wet and some dry food. They also switch off and finish each other's bowls.

Old 06-12-2012, 09:29 AM

555 posts, read 1,183,900 times
My biggest cat when I got him from the vet 6 years ago was 29 pounds...I have managed to get him down to 21, but how can I tell what is a healthy weight for him? He is 10, and does his share of running and jumping.
WHat should his weight be?

Old 06-12-2012, 09:52 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,657,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyc77 View Post
My biggest cat when I got him from the vet 6 years ago was 29 pounds...I have managed to get him down to 21, but how can I tell what is a healthy weight for him? He is 10, and does his share of running and jumping.
WHat should his weight be?
Hard to know for sure I think. Maybe a vet could give you a rough idea based on estimation of breed/size etc. Certainly there are some cat breeds that trend larger and thus would have a higher ideal weight. Most likely his ideal weight is at least a little lower than that, and maybe a lot (my cat weighs now about 10-11 pounds but weighed as much as 15 at one point, the vet says the 10-11 is a good weight for her), but a few cats might have ideal weights in the mid-high teens.

Still, congratulations on what you've done together! Sounds like he's doing well at 10 years old, he's had 6 good years with you and lost some weight, and maybe that's a few years longer than he would have had without such measures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats