Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2018, 08:59 PM

9,405 posts, read 11,150,657 times

Advertisements

Hi all. Some of you may recall when Pretty Girl wasn't eating and was lethargic and I took her to the kitty ER.

The X-ray revealed a BB in her, it's maybe an inch from her spine about midway down her torso. ER doc said she'd leave it be.

Our question is, has anyone else discovered this issue and if so what did you do? A cursory look indicates most BBs are made of steel. So...will the metal deteriorate? Can toxins be released? Or does the body form a protective membrane around a foreign object to protect itself?

Thoughts welcomed. Thanks, all. It doesn't appear to be bothering her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2018, 09:41 PM

1,095 posts, read 1,055,378 times
Near spine is really, really tricky to work on. All BB's today are steel with a copper coating. It's really uncertain how your cat will tolerate the BB's over time so watch for problems if any.

Next find out who shot the cat ,if you can,and either kick some azz or file a complaint with police.

Old 10-12-2018, 04:41 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,561,395 times
Over the years I have read a number of reports of people finding BBs in their cats. These are invariably cats rescued/adopted from shelters with the BB already there, the BB found when doing diagnostics for something else. In all cases I have followed the decision was to do nothing, except keep an eye on it.

I just had a thought..is there much difference (aside from the obvious) between leaving a BB and a microchip being embedded under the skin? Seems the same concept to me, a foreign matter where it doesn't belong? But I could be missing something.

Something near the spine like that...yeah, I can see why a vet wouldn't want to mess with that.

Old 10-12-2018, 06:43 AM

17,340 posts, read 11,266,024 times
What is BB? Am I the only one that doesn't know, LOL? This is why I hate acronyms.

Old 10-12-2018, 06:58 AM

3,671 posts, read 3,553,488 times
Marino, BB's are the tiny round metal pellets that people shoot out of BB guns. A lot of nasty people out there like to use our kitties as target practice

I can't stand acronyms either, but I've never really heard them called anything except BB's.

Old 10-12-2018, 07:14 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,844,907 times
Glad she's tolerating it.

Now...I'm mad on her behalf.

Seems the making of a psychopath might be living near you...they love to torture and kill animals.
Can you keep your cat inside??

Old 10-12-2018, 07:17 AM

17,340 posts, read 11,266,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraDown View Post
Marino, BB's are the tiny round metal pellets that people shoot out of BB guns. A lot of nasty people out there like to use our kitties as target practice

I can't stand acronyms either, but I've never really heard them called anything except BB's.
Thanks for the explanation. I never dawned on me it was actual BB's from a BB gun. I thought it was an acronym for a medical condition.
How horrible! People are so cruel.

Old 10-12-2018, 11:04 AM

9,405 posts, read 11,150,657 times
^^Thanks, all. Pretty was an outside cat who came to the feedings we stage for the various strays or neglected cats in the neighborhood.

She seemed to have a home in a woody knoll a couple of hundred feet away, down by a big water drain pipe. She'd come charging up to us when we went out to feed the gang.

She's always been quite friendly, tame and sweet. She's not crazy about other cats and would always growl and keep others from her plate. That's her history, I presume she has her reasons for that.

Last winter when it got REALLY cold, we could see the cold affected her more than the other outside cats. Poor baby looked miserable and very cold.

She has a thin coat, but we also suspect she had a gwammy or gwampy where she was loved and well-cared-for and for some reason was put out. We all know cruel cases. I know of a nephew who became his elder aunt's caretaker and her old cat Gus was put out a lot. People are cruel and thoughless.

At any rate, we let Pretty Girl into our heated garage where she immediately found a nest. She was so sweet and personable that we discussed adopting her, which we did, after two or three weeks in the garage.

We took her to the vet, we checked all the Missing Cats sites and saw nothing, so she's here now.

The ER visit in August (IIRC) was when we discovered the BB. The doc and I agreed an X-ray was in order when no other clear reason for her not eating was obvious. We thought there could be a blockage.
The vet said embedded BBs are not uncommon, she sees it often.

Because there are lots of rotten people out there.

I've seen various internet stories where rescued critters have BBs in them. One dog had 28. Some folks have some really bad karma heading for them, when that time comes.

We haven't had our other three cats X-rayed. Perhaps we should.

Last edited by Dwatted Wabbit; 10-12-2018 at 11:18 AM..

Old 10-12-2018, 11:55 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,844,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
^^Thanks, all. Pretty was an outside cat who came to the feedings we stage for the various strays or neglected cats in the neighborhood.

She seemed to have a home in a woody knoll a couple of hundred feet away, down by a big water drain pipe. She'd come charging up to us when we went out to feed the gang.

She's always been quite friendly, tame and sweet. She's not crazy about other cats and would always growl and keep others from her plate. That's her history, I presume she has her reasons for that.

Last winter when it got REALLY cold, we could see the cold affected her more than the other outside cats. Poor baby looked miserable and very cold.

She has a thin coat, but we also suspect she had a gwammy or gwampy where she was loved and well-cared-for and for some reason was put out. We all know cruel cases. I know of a nephew who became his elder aunt's caretaker and her old cat Gus was put out a lot. People are cruel and thoughless.

At any rate, we let Pretty Girl into our heated garage where she immediately found a nest. She was so sweet and personable that we discussed adopting her, which we did, after two or three weeks in the garage.

We took her to the vet, we checked all the Missing Cats sites and saw nothing, so she's here now.

The ER visit in August (IIRC) was when we discovered the BB. The doc and I agreed an X-ray was in order when no other clear reason for her not eating was obvious. We thought there could be a blockage.
The vet said embedded BBs are not uncommon, she sees it often.

Because there are lots of rotten people out there.

I've seen various internet stories where rescued critters have BBs in them. One dog had 28. Some folks have some really bad karma heading for them, when that time comes.

We haven't had our other three cats X-rayed. Perhaps we should.

I hope it's more than bad karma...

Old 10-12-2018, 12:18 PM

255 posts, read 168,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraDown View Post

Maybe they get tired of your kitties crapping in their flowerbeds, killing birds, and leaving footprints all over their cars? That is a risk you take when you are irresponsible and allow your cats to roam free and become a nuisance to others. If you don't want anything to happen to your animals, keep them safely contained on your OWN property. I will never understand owners being shocked or even saddened with their cat, that they allowed to roam outdoors, meets an untimely end because of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats