Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2015, 01:19 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,195,836 times

Advertisements

Man! What is it with cats and boxes????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2015, 02:21 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,373,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
Best answer I can come up with..... it's in their DNA.

Old 09-27-2015, 08:17 AM

24,580 posts, read 10,884,023 times
Quote:
Apply cat logic and you will understand! Staff goes out of their way to search for, purchase and drag to the lair the most innovative, least inexpensive, technologically advanced entertainment for the whiskered ones. Why give them the satisfaction of letting them manipulate us into recognizing their efforts? Give me that bag! I said now!

Old 09-27-2015, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Apply cat logic and you will understand! Staff goes out of their way to search for, purchase and drag to the lair the most innovative, least inexpensive, technologically advanced entertainment for the whiskered ones. Why give them the satisfaction of letting them manipulate us into recognizing their efforts? Give me that bag! I said now!
I believe that's actually in the Official Housecat Handbook somewhere (forget the page no.),

"Never let Staff know that you might actually like what they bring you, or do for you. Enjoyment of said item or service is to happen only when humans aren't watching. (Rule is applicable for a minimum of 30 days.)"

Old 09-27-2015, 01:10 PM

24,580 posts, read 10,884,023 times
Rule #1
They are there for us.

Old 09-27-2015, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Rule #1
They are there for us.
Yes they are.

In spite of all our shortcomings.

Old 09-27-2015, 09:57 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,630,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Cats have a very strong sense of smell. I can see why they would be reluctant to stick their noses in a bowl of food that has been sitting around for a day or even longer than a day, covered in saliva and dust and gone stale and rancid. Ick.
I completely agree. I love our cats, and the way I look at it, we have a covenant between us. Their end of the deal is that they just be good, loving companions and not tear the place up too much or pee all over it, and my end of the deal is that I treat them with absolute respect and affection at all times. To me, part of that means that I scrub their water dish thoroughly at least once a day, rinse it and fill it with fresh water at least 2 or 3 times a day, and I give them the best possible fresh food. I make raw food (about 40 pounds at a time), and when I feed them, it never sits on the plate longer than an hour. If they haven't finished in an hour, I cover it with plastic wrap and refrigerate it, and they get one more shot at that plate next feeding. If they still don't finish for some reason, it gets tossed, period. I will not disrespect my friends by asking them to eat spoiled food.

Oh, and the food dish gets cleaned daily too, very thoroughly. We actually cover it with plastic wrap and replace the plastic at least once a day. If there's ever any indication that the plastic has developed a hole and food has leaked through onto the plate, the plate is replaced with a clean one, and the soiled one is thoroughly washed.

Old 09-27-2015, 10:02 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,630,428 times
Quote:
I used to have a male Russian blue who loved playing "box." Any time he saw an empty box anywhere, he'd hop inside and meow until I came to join him. Then I was expected to close the lid of the box, carry it to a different part of the house, and open it again.

It never failed to astonish him how that worked. He just looked shocked, and deeply impressed - "How in the world does he do that? I get in the box, he closes it, and when he opens it I'm in a different room!!! Humans are just so amazing...."

Old 10-04-2015, 09:24 AM

3,671 posts, read 3,558,235 times
When Boo was a kitten, she loved being placed in the plastic bags from the grocery store. She'd lay in it upside down, and let my wife swing her back and forth. Bags were doubled so they wouldn't break.
But it was so funny to see her actually like that. To this day, she loves playing with the plastic bags.

Old 10-04-2015, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraDown View Post
When Boo was a kitten, she loved being placed in the plastic bags from the grocery store. She'd lay in it upside down, and let my wife swing her back and forth. Bags were doubled so they wouldn't break.
But it was so funny to see her actually like that. To this day, she loves playing with the plastic bags.
My girl Angel also has a plastic bag fetish. My late wife used to come home from the grocery store and set the bags with canned goods or boxed stuff on the floor. Angel would make a bee-line for them, and would drag everything out of them in short order. Once the bag was empty, she would lay with her head in it for a few minutes, and then proceed to attack & kill it. After dealing with the evil bag, she would give herself a meticulous face cleaning and usually go take nap. She still does that once in a while, but not as often now that she's older.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats