Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 09:11 AM

1,582 posts, read 3,108,480 times

Advertisements

I had a cat that no matter what we did, she had trouble with her "aim." She was also a very stinky kitty, and clumping cat litter of any type was a nightmare with her. Out of desperation, I tried the Breeze cat litter system - we had already tried everything else, including the storage bins. I don't know if it was the design of the box (it has a low side and three higher ones - it is not covered). I set it along side her regular box - we had three in the house, but there was always one she preferred. She IMMEDIATELY quit using her old box, and used the new Breeze system exclusively, hitting the box every time.

The Breeze system uses a combination of dessicant pellets (the cat litter) in a suspended slotted tray over another tray that holds a potty-type pad. They use it just as a normal box, but when they urinate, it passes thru the pellets to the pad, and the odor is neutralized. The feces stays in the pellets, and they dehydrate the solid material pretty quickly, also effectively neutralizing the odor. No more stinky box! We scoop at least once a day, and the pad usually lasts about a week with two cats, sometimes less. We use one bag of litter a month (~$8), and one package of pads, give or take (~$6). I spend less on this system over all than I did on traditional litter systems. Plus, the litter isn't all over the house, or stuck in fur.

The cat with the litter box issues passed away about a year and a half ago at the age of 18. Her sister kitty followed her to the rainbow bridge about 8 months after that, also at 18. We now have a new kitten, who is using the Breeze boxes I bought for the other two. I will never, EVER use a traditional cat litter box again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2012, 01:44 PM

786 posts, read 1,592,846 times
Don't get discouraged about having a cat because of this experience. I agree that a vet visit is essential, and if there's nothing acutely wrong with your cat, it's probably a function of age, pain, or confusion. Cats and dogs develop dementias just like humans, it is early for a 12 year old cat but sounds like your cat is trying it's best to use the litter box, but something is up with either his cognition, pain or both. I had a dog and when he hit 14, he started forgetting how to use the doggy door and started pooping and peeing all over the house and didn't seem to realize it, it became more frequent and I finally had to have him put down because it smelled like we were living in a sewer and it was very unsanitary, the vet said he was most likely dementing, couldn't find anything else wrong. So if you notice other changes, not as playful, gets confused, gets weird about objects on the floor, won't walk on throw rugs, scares easily compared to usual, it may be his mind. Just love him now for all it's worth, I know when my 2 young cats get old, I'm going to be a basket case when they start having problems. I'm in love with these cats and it's the first time I've had cats, found one the size of my palm under a guard rail while walking and that was it. It's a feral but beautiful, then we got another one. I make an effort everyday to love them up even if they don't want me, too bad, you're gettin' a hug and a kiss anyway whether you like it or not.

Old 09-12-2012, 09:38 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,798,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no8fann View Post
I had a cat that no matter what we did, she had trouble with her "aim." She was also a very stinky kitty, and clumping cat litter of any type was a nightmare with her. Out of desperation, I tried the Breeze cat litter system - we had already tried everything else, including the storage bins. I don't know if it was the design of the box (it has a low side and three higher ones - it is not covered). I set it along side her regular box - we had three in the house, but there was always one she preferred. She IMMEDIATELY quit using her old box, and used the new Breeze system exclusively, hitting the box every time.

The Breeze system uses a combination of dessicant pellets (the cat litter) in a suspended slotted tray over another tray that holds a potty-type pad. They use it just as a normal box, but when they urinate, it passes thru the pellets to the pad, and the odor is neutralized. The feces stays in the pellets, and they dehydrate the solid material pretty quickly, also effectively neutralizing the odor. No more stinky box! We scoop at least once a day, and the pad usually lasts about a week with two cats, sometimes less. We use one bag of litter a month (~$8), and one package of pads, give or take (~$6). I spend less on this system over all than I did on traditional litter systems. Plus, the litter isn't all over the house, or stuck in fur.

The cat with the litter box issues passed away about a year and a half ago at the age of 18. Her sister kitty followed her to the rainbow bridge about 8 months after that, also at 18. We now have a new kitten, who is using the Breeze boxes I bought for the other two. I will never, EVER use a traditional cat litter box again!
I saw that or something like it at Petsmart. I might consider this.

Update: took cat to vet, $125 later there's nothing physically wrong with him. The vet agreed that I should use a different kind of box, one with a low threshold and much larger than the one I was using. she said get rid of the cover. So I did, he still misses the box about 50% of the time. He has to urinate or defecate on the edge of the box rather than in the middle--and again, only about half the time he uses it.

This is really frustrating me because it's all of the sudden. Another thing I've noticed about him lately is that he doesn't really sleep very much any more. He kind of hangs about by the water dish/food dish and waits for either me or my girlfriend to give him food. If we're in the living room, he comes in there and sits in the middle of the floor and stares at us. When we go toward the kitchen and his food dish, he beats us to it, meow, meow. We give him food or change out his water, and he shuts up, then comes to whereever we are and sits and stares at us.

Before this behavior began, he was nearly a common fixture on the back of the sofa, sleeping and purring away. He's rarely in his spot now.

He's my third cat. My other two died around age 11 each and about a year apart from one another. While one of them was a sweeper in the litter box, the other one was no problem at all.

My cat is driving me crazy now because I just want him to be happy and I know he's not and there's nothing I can do to make him like he was.

Old 09-13-2012, 01:11 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,983,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiogenesofJackson View Post
I saw that or something like it at Petsmart. I might consider this.

Update: took cat to vet, $125 later there's nothing physically wrong with him. The vet agreed that I should use a different kind of box, one with a low threshold and much larger than the one I was using. she said get rid of the cover. So I did, he still misses the box about 50% of the time. He has to urinate or defecate on the edge of the box rather than in the middle--and again, only about half the time he uses it.
One of my young females would urinate over the side. We fixed that problem by buying those large higher plastic totes at Wal*Mart. No more urine on the floor. Also make sure you scoop at least twice a day. Some cats wont use a dirty litter box already full of stinky clumps of feces and urine.

Quote:
My cat is driving me crazy now because I just want him to be happy and I know he's not and there's nothing I can do to make him like he was.
Why do you think he's not happy? Is he bored and lonely?

Old 09-13-2012, 06:11 AM

1,156 posts, read 1,798,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
One of my young females would urinate over the side. We fixed that problem by buying those large higher plastic totes at Wal*Mart. No more urine on the floor. Also make sure you scoop at least twice a day. Some cats wont use a dirty litter box already full of stinky clumps of feces and urine.

Why do you think he's not happy? Is he bored and lonely?
As I previously stated on this thread, I scoop just about every time he gets done doing his thing. His litter box is cleaner than my bathroom. I had a box with high walls and he hung his rear over the side 50% of the time and half of the waste went in the box, the other half over the side. Now I have one with low sides thanks to the advice others here have offered.

I think my cat is unhappy because his behavior changed so dramatically in the past few months. He has plenty of company, but instead decides to just stare at us rather than to sit on our laps like he used to do, or lay on the back of the sofa. He used to be part of the mix whereever we were in the apt., but now he just sits in front of us on the floor, stares, and when we get up, he runs to his food dish and meows like he's starving to death. He does this all day long. At night, I think he sits just below the bed and stares at us until either one of us gets up.

Old 09-13-2012, 06:15 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,556,099 times
What tests did your vet do? You are describing a sick cat. This cat sounds like he has kidney disease or hyperthyroid. Or both.

Please get blood-work done on your cat. Including thyroid. There are things that can be done to help him feel better once he gets the proper diagnosis.

Old 09-13-2012, 06:26 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,417,593 times
I was wondering about thyroid too. I'd want more bloodwork if that wasn't done.
I've "only" been a cat owner for 8 years, and have never had a senior cat. But if someone described similar behavior in an older dog, I'd wonder about dementia. It can cause house soiling, aimless wandering around, and becoming more aloof or needy to owners. I can't remember hearing much about dementia in cats. Maybe someone else could chime in on whether this could be a possibility IF bloodwork doesn't turn up other problems.

Old 09-13-2012, 07:47 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,556,099 times
Cats do get dementia though 12 is very young for that. Though I understand they are not sure of his age. I haven't ever had a kitty with dementia yet, and I have lived with four senior/elderly cats in my life, so far. 14, 15, 21 and 18, but I know it can happen.

I just think this kitty needs a senior blood work up to find out what is going on. If they only paid $125 I doubt there was any blood work, or if there was, it wasn't all inclusive. Blood work is usually sent to a lab and costs around $100 for the labs, (in addition to office fee and urinalysis) with the results coming in two days. A check up with a urinalysis and senior blood profile usually costs in the $200 range, or more, depending on location. A urine culture would add more cost, and I highly recommend, even if a urinalysis was done, they have a culture done too.

Old 12-20-2014, 08:45 AM

2 posts, read 1,310 times
My cat is 17, has arthritis and was doing the same thing. I took a large storage bin and cut an opening on the short side of the bin. Unfortunately, he would walk in, not turn around, and pee with his butt hanging out the opening. I am currently using dog training pads placed on a boot tray to catch his pee, but today we are buying a longer storage bin and will cut the opening on the long side of the bin. We hope this will force him to turn as he walks into the bin and he'll pee against the inside wall of the bin. Fingers and paws crossed! LOL!

Old 12-20-2014, 12:22 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,358,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ1965 View Post
My cat is 17, has arthritis and was doing the same thing. I took a large storage bin and cut an opening on the short side of the bin. Unfortunately, he would walk in, not turn around, and pee with his butt hanging out the opening. I am currently using dog training pads placed on a boot tray to catch his pee, but today we are buying a longer storage bin and will cut the opening on the long side of the bin. We hope this will force him to turn as he walks into the bin and he'll pee against the inside wall of the bin. Fingers and paws crossed! LOL!
That's good thinking, and I hope it works for you. Let us know if it does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats