Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 05:09 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,213,219 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by angrymillionaire View Post
Most cat owners are too entitled! In their minds, anyone who does not welcome their cat or any stray cat is evil!
Yes I have had that discussion on here before. Many Cat owners defend their cat's right to walk on your car, toilet in your landscaping, pizzing on your property stinking the place up etc.
A to of dog owners are the same. You are supposed to tolerate their dog jumping on you, toiling in your yard etc.
Both groups will complain if a home owner gets tired of dealing with other peoples animals and act upon it.
It really is simple. If you want a pet own it. Not everyone wants to deal with your pet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2014, 05:20 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,071,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angrymillionaire View Post
Instead of watching your neighbors like hawks, you need to keep your animals inside & watch them like hawks instead!
Excuse me my animals are not outside thanks for reading something that is not stated ....

Old 01-05-2014, 05:25 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,688,983 times
Check to see if there is a Feral Cat
Coalition in your area who would be willing to trap and fix these animals.

With a fixed population there will be less newcomers and disease, predators, cars, and trapping will slowly thin the herd.

The only problem with trapping and eliminating them all is that eventually, come spring a new population will crop up and will take over the abandoned territory. Leaving a small colony of feral, fixed cats would be best. They will chase the others off, or consume the available resources so that your area is no longer desirable.

Old 01-05-2014, 05:38 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,417,593 times
[quote=tinman01;32887761]Yes I have had that discussion on here before.[quote]

Are you sure you have the right forum? Almost everyone here has indoor cats. See the many threads where people try to educate others to do the same.

Old 01-06-2014, 11:34 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,213,219 times
[quote=subject2change;32888143][quote=tinman01;32887761]Yes I have had that discussion on here before.
Quote:

Are you sure you have the right forum? Almost everyone here has indoor cats. See the many threads where people try to educate others to do the same.
I refer to City data forum and yes I am sure. The excuses I have heard.
Cats will hunt the mice around your property. Their foot prints on your cars paint is no big deal. Cats toiling in your landscaping is free fertilizer, Cats have free spirits and need to roam. All may be true, but the point is a pet not under control becomes someone else's problem. Dog or cat.
Its been a few years since I posted in the pet forum and the reason why is how easily people take offense to any comment they view as less than flattering to the pet of choice.

Last edited by tinman01; 01-06-2014 at 11:43 AM..

Old 01-06-2014, 11:51 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,417,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Its been a few years since I posted in the pet forum and the reason why is how easily people take offense to any comment they view as less than flattering to the pet of choice.
It must be more than 4 years, because that's how long I've been here and people who have that much disregard for their own cats safety, and their neighbors' property have always gotten a ton of flak during my time on the forum. See the thread about BF letting cat outside, going on right now.

Old 01-06-2014, 11:53 AM

20,363 posts, read 14,636,289 times
[quote=tinman01;32898235][quote=subject2change;32888143]
Quote:
Yes I have had that discussion on here before.
Cats will hunt the mice around your property. Their foot prints on your cars paint is no big deal. Cats toiling in your landscaping is free fertilizer, Cats have free spirits and need to roam. All may be true, but the point is a pet not under control becomes someone else's problem. Dog or cat.

I really think that there needs to be something like an educational campaign on a widespread basis to change the way people think about cats. Because the evolutionary setup was to let the cat roam around the barn or granary or what have you to provide rodent control. In the "olden days" of setting the pattern, how we interact with this animal as a companion...there was no spay/neuter...if the colony became inbred, diseased, and overpopulated, as it would eventually do, the farmer would go out and shoot a certain number of cats. That's still how it's done in many places. But there is a vast difference between a barn cat situation and a suburban household pet situation, however many people still actually somehow think it's cruel to keep a cat indoors. And they do not feel that it's the same as the obligation to control a pet dog. In this day and age...it should be.

The general consensus of many cat owners has become keep a cat inside or at least use a harness/leash or enclosure. People need to accept this solution and realize that it isn't cruel to a cat, in the slightest. It's for the animal's safety and it's conscientious citizenship, much as not leaving piles of dog poo on your neighbor's lawn.

I've also heard more than one pet owner say that they would not get their female cat or dog fixed until it had one litter so it could know the fulfillment of motherhood. Many have said this even though they had no adoption plan in place and no desire to keep a litter of baby pups or kittens. Well you just don't get much more ignorant or irresponsible than that.

I think that pet owner education on these sorts of topics really should run concurrent with any plan to manage feral and/or stray populations. As for the management itself...I think municipalities should publicly announce an open bid for caretakership...if a person or group is willing to TNR and then actively manage the wellbeing of a colony, within a reasonable deadline after a county/city/town declaring the need...then fine. If no one steps up, they should all be trapped and adopted if possible, euthanized if not. If the decision of "what to do" were mine...that's how it would work.

But as for cats being an invasive species...I kinda LOL'ed at that. Y'know what THE most invasive species is? We are. In every possible definition of the term, hands down. Humans.

Old 01-06-2014, 05:08 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,358,945 times
I agree about educating people about allowing un-spayed or neutered cats to run loose. But the problem is that people have to actually care enough to be educated and change. Not to mention they have to admit to 'wrong thinking' on the subject. There will always some people you just can't get through to.

Old 01-09-2014, 01:07 PM

1,373 posts, read 2,956,973 times
[quote=subject2change;32888143][quote=tinman01;32887761]Yes I have had that discussion on here before.
Quote:

No they don't! They also have dogs that ""accidentally"" escape into the neighbor's rat traps a lot! Too many irresponsible pet owners here

Old 01-09-2014, 01:10 PM

1,373 posts, read 2,956,973 times
[quote=tinman01;32898235][quote=subject2change;32888143]
Quote:
Yes I have had that discussion on here before.
Oh and when they come to your house unwated, you are supposed to hike up your waterbill by spraying them with water. Or investing in mothballs. Or investing in kilos of cayenneIt costs too much money & time to keep their cats away. Aint nobody got time for that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats