Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2012, 12:48 PM

2,280 posts, read 4,514,200 times

Advertisements

Dear Friends,

Are any of you familiar with the American Bobtail? Our so-called "feral" colony included lost or abandoned tame cats and the Tortoise Shell female we had spayed is totally utterly tame and gentle and she has the exact tail of the American Bobtail plus the shorter front legs.

Does anyone know if a Tortoise Shell can be American Bobtail?

I have to check for a microchip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2012, 01:22 PM

585 posts, read 2,015,123 times
I think Tortie is actually the preferred coat in the Japanese Bobtail so I wouldn't doubt it at all!

Check out this bobtail Tortie from a feral rescue blog: Skinny Tortie Bobtail Feral Cat ~ The Feral Cat Rescue Project Here's another gorgeous tortie with a short tail: http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/1767/munchq.jpg and a bobtail tortie that was up for adoption in Tennessee: Abigail - DSH Tortoiseshell Bobtail Kitten available for Adoption | Female Kitten Adoption in Greenback TN | 3118077553 | Cats on Oodle Marketplace

As far as I understand it (granted I'm no expert), the tortie can appear anywhere with the right genetic circumstances. Not all that familiar with bobtails but definitely know a thing or two about torties and they're pretty random.

So I would not be surprised if you have a bobtail Tortie on your hands. Now we DEFINITELY need to see pictures of this dear girl!!

Old 11-11-2012, 08:29 PM

Exclamation She is a Japanese Bobtail

OMG! I am having a heart attack! That is her!! Those cats are exactly precisely like her!! She is a Japanese Bobtail! The amazing thing is that we just name the other adult rescue (not a Bobtail) "Keiko" instead of Dirty Cat, which means " blessed child" in Japanese.

I had Japanese friends and find the language to be so poetic.

I was going to work on a name for Tortie.

Thank you so much, killabunny!

Quote:
Originally Posted by killabunnies View Post
I think Tortie is actually the preferred coat in the Japanese Bobtail so I wouldn't doubt it at all!

Check out this bobtail Tortie from a feral rescue blog: Skinny Tortie Bobtail Feral Cat ~ The Feral Cat Rescue Project Here's another gorgeous tortie with a short tail: http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/1767/munchq.jpg and a bobtail tortie that was up for adoption in Tennessee: Abigail - DSH Tortoiseshell Bobtail Kitten available for Adoption | Female Kitten Adoption in Greenback TN | 3118077553 | Cats on Oodle Marketplace

As far as I understand it (granted I'm no expert), the tortie can appear anywhere with the right genetic circumstances. Not all that familiar with bobtails but definitely know a thing or two about torties and they're pretty random.

So I would not be surprised if you have a bobtail Tortie on your hands. Now we DEFINITELY need to see pictures of this dear girl!!

Old 11-12-2012, 02:53 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,989,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha Anne View Post
OMG! I am having a heart attack! That is her!! Those cats are exactly precisely like her!! She is a Japanese Bobtail! The amazing thing is that we just name the other adult rescue (not a Bobtail) "Keiko" instead of Dirty Cat, which means " blessed child" in Japanese.
I don't want to burst your bubble but almost all shelter and Rescues will call those cats either Manx or Japanese Bobtails. They call all gray cats Russian Blues. All pointed cats are called some kind of Siamese. They do this because it helps them get them adopted faster. Unless they have the cat's registration papers in hand, take their claims with a grain of salt.

Old 11-12-2012, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
I don't want to burst your bubble but almost all shelter and Rescues will call those cats either Manx or Japanese Bobtails. They call all gray cats Russian Blues. All pointed cats are called some kind of Siamese. They do this because it helps them get them adopted faster. Unless they have the cat's registration papers in hand, take their claims with a grain of salt.
Don't worry - know you are right and actually did think of it already.

We had, once, two cats who were true American Shorthair Silver Tabby and A.S. Black Smoke and who had their lineage going back, documented, for something like 100 years. We knew the breeder and she was the author of a book about the American Shorthair and raised and bred them very ethically. (If you believe in breeding, which, as a rescuer, I could never do, knowing how every purchased cat cancels out the chances for adoption of a shelter cat - I could not do that.)

But, anyway, our cats were multiple blue ribbon winners and very gorgeous.

I do think that this cat is a purebred of some kind. She has features that are only found in purebred cats nowadays: Her face and build are completely absent of any influence of the Oriental, even extremely subtle influences. This is rare today.

Who knows, however. I don't care. She's a winner. Our private vet saw her today (I decided to make her one of the official cats in her practice. We love our vet. She said this cat is extraordinary and never found as a roaming cat. It's true. It does happen, but not often. Tortie (I will pick a Japanese name, have to do that soon) has no microchip, and we spayed her when we trapped her for our TNR project in August. She has been seen since June by our colleagues but they were never at the colony before June so it could be much longer.

She got dewormed and will need another week in the bathroom till she gets over her herpes virus. The vet said it is not likely calci virus because there are no sores in her mouth. She continues to take Clavamox.

My colleague is a former highly professional TV photographer and took a photo of her today and will send to me. I will post, then.

Old 11-13-2012, 10:19 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,989,759 times
Quote:
Don't worry - know you are right and actually did think of it already.

We knew the breeder and she was the author of a book about the American Shorthair and raised and bred them very ethically. (If you believe in breeding, which, as a rescuer, I could never do, knowing how every purchased cat cancels out the chances for adoption of a shelter cat - I could not do that.)
I could never breed cats either. I would picture one dying in a shelter for every kitten sold.

Quote:
She got dewormed and will need another week in the bathroom till she gets over her herpes virus. The vet said it is not likely calci virus because there are no sores in her mouth. She continues to take Clavamox.

My colleague is a former highly professional TV photographer and took a photo of her today and will send to me. I will post, then.
I await the picture of her.

Old 11-13-2012, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
I could never breed cats either. I would picture one dying in a shelter for every kitten sold.

I await the picture of her.

Oh, please, somebody: Isn't there a way I can just upload directly and post to the picture section? I don't want to enroll in another photo service site, I just want to upload directly, like you do on Facebook.

Thanks!

Old 11-13-2012, 07:41 PM

585 posts, read 2,015,123 times
Quote:
Oh, please, somebody: Isn't there a way I can just upload directly and post to the picture section? I don't want to enroll in another photo service site, I just want to upload directly, like you do on Facebook.

Thanks!
Not that I know of If your Facebook page is public, I'd just link to that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats