Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 03:00 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,929,063 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatty MacButter View Post
Have you seen this video?...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlFJWfXtjG8
^^^ Thank GOD that video had an error in it and I couldn't watch it!

But, as for cats grieving, I think they're just like people -- some deal with death better than others. And I think the stories here back that up. Think about two married people who've been together a long time and one dies: Sometimes, the remaining spouse grieves themselves into an early death a short time later. Others, the remaining partner goes right back out there and learns to enjoy life again with a NEW spouse. Cats are the same. Which convinces me that cats, and people, are a lot more alike than anybody cares to admit.

Now, do cats have souls? Do they go to heaven? I'll wait to find that out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2010, 03:32 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,995,469 times
When I die I want to go where all my cats and dogs went. That to me would be heaven.

Old 10-14-2010, 03:58 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,929,063 times
I once heard a preacher answer a little boy's question about whether or not dogs go to heaven this way: "Everything that made us happy on Earth is going to be in heaven. So of course, there will be dogs in heaven."

Old 03-25-2013, 03:53 PM

1 posts, read 1,031 times
We had two cats, fostered together and we adopted them 2 1/2 years ago One of them died from kidney disease this past Wednesday. Now the other one is very quiet, clingy and threw up twice this afternnoon. Should we get another kitten for him and if so, how soon? We are just so very heartbroken over the loss of her and his grieving.

Old 03-25-2013, 05:17 PM

12,290 posts, read 2,969,609 times
I;ve seen them grieve and I've seen them not seem to notice. Hard to know what's going on in a little cat brain sometimes.

Old 03-26-2013, 07:04 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,427,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aveet View Post
We had two cats, fostered together and we adopted them 2 1/2 years ago One of them died from kidney disease this past Wednesday. Now the other one is very quiet, clingy and threw up twice this afternnoon. Should we get another kitten for him and if so, how soon? We are just so very heartbroken over the loss of her and his grieving.
I'm so sorry for the loss of your cat.
Did you adopt your cats as kittens? If your cat is much older than 3 a kitten may not be as good a match as another adult cat. A kitten may be too playful. How soon depends on you also. If you feel ready to welcome another cat into your home, then by all means do it.
If your cat continues having stomach issues, please call the vet. It's possible that your cat has become ill, and it just appears to be related to the loss of your other cat.
Please let us know how it all works out!

Old 03-26-2013, 07:29 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,114,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azriel1 View Post
I had 3 cats up to a month ago. 2 of them were sisters and the 3rd an adoption. 1 of the sisters died 2 months ago and the 2nd sister has gotten very aggressive toward the 3rd cat. I think its because of the loss of the sister but I dont know.

Oh, absolutely. One of my cats had to be euthanized at 15 years old, and the rest of his housemates mourned for months.

Old 03-26-2013, 07:43 AM

2,280 posts, read 4,516,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTbound View Post
Absolutely. We had 4 cats. The 2 oldest were 13 and 16. Three months ago we had to euthanize the 13 year old and the 16 year old went rapidly downhill when he was gone. We had to have the 16 year old put down 3 weeks ago. It was heartbreaking and I firmly believe the death of the first affected the other. Now, as for the other 2 !?!?! I don't think they noticed too much. They were withdrawn while the other two were declining in health but now that they own the roost their personalities have blossomed.
I am very sorry for your loss.

We had a somewhat similar situation. This past December, our quiet head of the pack, Mr. Cat, aged 14, died from cancer. His bed-mate was Mr. Homeless Tuxedo, not more than a year younger, if that. Homeless sought out Mr. Cat's company and comfort always. 3 weeks ago, about 2 and a half months after Mr. Cat died, Mr. Homeless was found cold and dead under the side table in the DR. He was already decrepit, so it might have been a coincidence, but we feel he died from loneliness for Mr. Cat.

He never showed sadness in his eyes when Mr. Cat died.

However, something that really was a big surprise for us was that a third cat, Orange Boy (we have 11 cats right now), aged almost 10, and with us since 1 or 2, has been lying against my thigh on the sofa, something he never would have done before. This started after Homeless died. Homeless used to swipe at Orange Boy when he walked by but they otherwise got along well.

Orange Boy always put himself in a place away from everyone. Now he is lying up against my leg every single day! Seeking pets! It is amazing.

Old 03-26-2013, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
^^^ Thank GOD that video had an error in it and I couldn't watch it!

But, as for cats grieving, I think they're just like people -- some deal with death better than others. And I think the stories here back that up. Think about two married people who've been together a long time and one dies: Sometimes, the remaining spouse grieves themselves into an early death a short time later. Others, the remaining partner goes right back out there and learns to enjoy life again with a NEW spouse. Cats are the same. Which convinces me that cats, and people, are a lot more alike than anybody cares to admit.

Now, do cats have souls? Do they go to heaven? I'll wait to find that out.
Although I am not particularly religious, I pray for my late cat when he or she dies. I just HAVE to.

Yes, they are all so different in how they react, aren't they?

Old 03-26-2013, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
Oh, absolutely. One of my cats had to be euthanized at 15 years old, and the rest of his housemates mourned for months.
We have always had a large number of cats. I never saw any of them openly mourn. We lost: 3 very long time females within the past 2 1/2 years and 2 males. No one seems to have mourned openly. I am not saying, however, that they didn't, quietly, in ways we could not see.

One cat, however, has taken to wanting to be at my side, as if he is lonely or, I think, afraid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats