Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 11:59 AM

4,056 posts, read 2,137,280 times

Advertisements

Today Belina threw up (rare for her) and there was something besides kibble in it. Looked like a one inch dried strand of spaghetti. I think it's roundworms! I'm totally freaked out. The vet can't see her until tomorrow.

What's really freaking me out is that she must have had for the entire last year----since we adopted her exactly a year ago. We were told she had been dewormed.

Will she be okay? Any experience with this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2013, 04:52 PM

2,873 posts, read 5,852,616 times
She should be fine. Since you didn't notice other symptoms, she likely doesn't have such a heavy worm burden that she's becoming malnoriushed at this point.

She might not have had them as long as you think. A cat can get roundworms from eating an infected rodent or even an infected insect. So if she ate a beetle at some point, that could have infected her. Worms aren't only a kitten problem, though people tend to think that they are.

She'll need to be dewormed and your vet will choose the meds that are right for her. You'll probably need to repeat the dose several times at two week intervals because the meds get rid of the adults, so as the larvae mature you need to get them too.

If possible tomorrow, bring a sample of stool with you to the vet. You can bring in the 'worm' to if you saved it.

Old 01-02-2013, 05:55 PM

2,280 posts, read 4,516,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParallelJJCat View Post
She should be fine. Since you didn't notice other symptoms, she likely doesn't have such a heavy worm burden that she's becoming malnoriushed at this point.

She might not have had them as long as you think. A cat can get roundworms from eating an infected rodent or even an infected insect. So if she ate a beetle at some point, that could have infected her. Worms aren't only a kitten problem, though people tend to think that they are.

She'll need to be dewormed and your vet will choose the meds that are right for her. You'll probably need to repeat the dose several times at two week intervals because the meds get rid of the adults, so as the larvae mature you need to get them too.

If possible tomorrow, bring a sample of stool with you to the vet. You can bring in the 'worm' to if you saved it.
It's so nice to have a vet tech in this forum <s>. (We just dewormed our 4 new rescues within the past 2 months. I learned about roundworms.)

Old 01-03-2013, 01:53 PM

4,056 posts, read 2,137,280 times
Thanks so much for replying. It did reassure me and allowed me to sleep last night.

Belina does indeed have roundworms (confirmed by stool sample and the segment of a worm found in her vomit). All it required was a pill today and one three weeks from now. Looks like she can still have a long, happy life. My only very minor concern now is that she could possibly gain some weight once the worms are no longer sharing in her food.

Old 01-03-2013, 02:21 PM

2,873 posts, read 5,852,616 times
The worms likely weren't taking so many nutrients that the loss of them will make her gain weight. You MIGHT possibly see some bloating as the worms die off, but it will pass quickly.

If you're worried about keeping her at a healthy weight, a high quality grain-free wet food is the best way to go. Many cat foods continue grains, which cats are not evolved to eat. Unlike dogs, which are like us and can eat both plants and meats, cats are obligate carnivores. Grains, which are carbs, just pack weight on them. And dry food is just full of carbs (plus it is unhealthy for other reasons, including the moisture content.)

As an aside, when JJ was a wee tiny kitten he was sleeping in my arms looking just ever so cute and sweet. Until a tapeworm segment crawled out of his rear and dropped onto my wrist. Trained or not, I may still have done a bit of flailing and 'EEEEWWWW'ing

Old 02-02-2013, 10:59 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,221,586 times
My brother's cat seems to have worms, I do not live near him,...we are multiple states away... but he describes them as round worms. I have sent him over the counter treatments and he is still having problems. Can these things exist outside of a cat, so that the cat keeps getting reinfected? He has tried a few products this year, and he gets her bedding clean, she is bathed...He seems to be keeping things as clean as possible. Is there an inexpensive solution? I support him financially so I'm trying to be frugal. Any suggestions are very much appreciated. Thanks

Old 02-02-2013, 12:10 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,580,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
My brother's cat seems to have worms, I do not live near him,...we are multiple states away... but he describes them as round worms. I have sent him over the counter treatments and he is still having problems. Can these things exist outside of a cat, so that the cat keeps getting reinfected? He has tried a few products this year, and he gets her bedding clean, she is bathed...He seems to be keeping things as clean as possible. Is there an inexpensive solution? I support him financially so I'm trying to be frugal. Any suggestions are very much appreciated. Thanks

Over the counter de-wormers don't work and aren't safe.

Is kitty kept inside, or allowed out? If the cat goes out he needs to be wormed regularly.

Drontal is a broad spectrum de-wormer, comes in tablet form and is the most common prescribed. The usual dose is once every three months for cats who go outside. The dosage amount is based on the cat's weight. Drontal is gotten through the vet.

Revolution spot on flea treatment used monthly will prevent roundworms and hookworm but not tapeworm.

Profender spot on is a broad spectrum de-wormer, put on the cat monthly (does not protect against fleas)

If your brother keeps his cat inside two doses of drontal given three weeks apart, would be all that was needed, ever again. Again, the dose is based on the weight of the cat.

OTC remedies don't work and a cat who goes out will need regular de-worming with drontal or profender.

Old 02-02-2013, 12:51 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,221,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Over the counter de-wormers don't work and aren't safe.

Is kitty kept inside, or allowed out? If the cat goes out he needs to be wormed regularly.

Drontal is a broad spectrum de-wormer, comes in tablet form and is the most common prescribed. The usual dose is once every three months for cats who go outside. The dosage amount is based on the cat's weight. Drontal is gotten through the vet.

Revolution spot on flea treatment used monthly will prevent roundworms and hookworm but not tapeworm.

Profender spot on is a broad spectrum de-wormer, put on the cat monthly (does not protect against fleas)

If your brother keeps his cat inside two doses of drontal given three weeks apart, would be all that was needed, ever again. Again, the dose is based on the weight of the cat.

OTC remedies don't work and a cat who goes out will need regular de-worming with drontal or profender.
Thank you so much. She is an inside cat, never outside. I will speak to my brother this weekend and share what you've recommended. I certainly appreciate you!! JanND

Old 02-02-2013, 02:35 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,330,693 times
You don't have to buy Dontal/Droncit from the vet, I order mine (and other items) from eBay.

I do my own basic veterinary work, and only take the cats to the vet for something that I can't take care of. I'm starting to order what I need now, so I'll be ready when summer arrives.

Old 02-02-2013, 03:08 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,580,966 times
I would not recommend someone buy a prescription pet medication through eBay. You don't know what you're getting. It's kind of playing russian roulette with your cats, in my opinion. Drontal, a broad spectrum de-wormer is a prescription medication. Droncit (for tapeworms) is not.

In addition the dose of drontal is dependent on weight of the cat. Most people are way off when they try to estimate the weight of their cats. Again, depending on the situation, it's a risky thing, guessing the correct dose. Too little, the worms won't go. Too much, toxic to the cat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats