Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 06:23 PM

7,201 posts, read 15,004,595 times

Advertisements

You may remember the Torti that showed up here one day last summer. I was feeding her on and off since she came and went. She would not let me touch her. She was plump so we weren't sure if she was someone's cat wandering around or someone dumped her off. There's a well known dump-off spot up the road here. We left for FL the middle of Dec and forgot about her. We got back home on April 1st and yesterday I saw her drinking from our small pond. I thought I had seen her in the weeds and brush a week ago but wasn't sure. She's very thin now but looks otherwise healthy. I went out today with some canned and dry food and was surprised she came up to me and ate like she hadn't had food in awhile. She is very thin, but not emaciated. She did let me pet her a few times but is fearful. The last 1/3 or so of her tail is broken. I don't know what to do about her as we're leaving for a long trip out west in 2 weeks or less. There is no one I can ask to come here every day or every other day to put food out for her. That would be quite an imposition to the people on this road I don't know that well. So this cat apparently isn't owned by anyone and is living by her wits and whatever she can catch to eat. It's distressing....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2014, 07:21 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,998,603 times
Any local feral rescue groups??

Old 04-20-2014, 08:37 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,383,869 times
If there aren't any rescue groups or anyone else available to help, about the only thing you can do is feed her as much as you can and fatten her up a bit before you go. You could rig up a covered and elevated feeding station and leave a large quantity of food, but that's not a good option either. Probably wouldn't be enough if you're going to be gone a long time, and would attract other animals. Not much help, but don't know what else to suggest. Best of luck trying to help her.

Old 04-21-2014, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocngypz View Post
Any local feral rescue groups??
They're always full to the brim with a waiting list and we'll be leaving soon. As thin as this cat is I fear she wont make it until we come back sometime in the middle of June. I'm going to try and reach a well known Rescue in Nashville and see if something can be done as an emergency for her - but part of the problem is I can't guarantee she'd be here if they send someone out. She comes and goes.

Old 04-21-2014, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
If there aren't any rescue groups or anyone else available to help, about the only thing you can do is feed her as much as you can and fatten her up a bit before you go.
I will definately try and do that. I keep high protein kibble as a midnight-treat for my cats. I will give her as much as she will eat of that along with the canned food which she seemed to love. She lost a lot of weight over the winter.

Quote:
You could rig up a covered and elevated feeding station and leave a large quantity of food, but that's not a good option either.
That wont work because of the racoons and possums - both love cat and dog food.

Quote:
Probably wouldn't be enough if you're going to be gone a long time, and would attract other animals. Not much help, but don't know what else to suggest. Best of luck trying to help her.
The black cat that we would to see with her some of the time last year hasn't shown up yet. It was a rough cold winter here the neighbors told us, so she/he may not have survived.

Fattening her up as much as possible before we leave seems the best option but then the poor soul will be looking for us after we're gone for her lunch and dinner.

Old 04-21-2014, 09:18 AM

What about one of those battery operated cat food dispensers?

My neighbor has one that holds an enormous amount of dry food.

Old 04-21-2014, 11:18 AM

9,127 posts, read 9,383,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
I will definately try and do that. I keep high protein kibble as a midnight-treat for my cats. I will give her as much as she will eat of that along with the canned food which she seemed to love. She lost a lot of weight over the winter.

That wont work because of the racoons and possums - both love cat and dog food.

The black cat that we would to see with her some of the time last year hasn't shown up yet. It was a rough cold winter here the neighbors told us, so she/he may not have survived.

Fattening her up as much as possible before we leave seems the best option but then the poor soul will be looking for us after we're gone for her lunch and dinner.
Yes, I know... and they're not the only ones. Skunks and Foxes will eat cat kibble too. Lesson learned from many years ago.

Old 04-21-2014, 11:37 AM

Hire a high school kid...........vet tech..............cat sitter......

Old 04-21-2014, 11:51 AM

Quote:
What about one of those battery operated cat food dispensers?

My neighbor has one that holds an enormous amount of dry food.
The coons and possums would have it destroyed in no time. I live out in the country.

Old 04-21-2014, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Hire a high school kid...........vet tech..............cat sitter......
We live out in the country. We can't afford to pay someone to drive way out here from the city every day or two, especially when we never know if she'll be around or not. I looked for her today and couldn't find her. She may be sleeping off all the food I gave her yesterday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats